It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Caregivers Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
(female)

mywristhurts HB User
Scaphoid Fracture; Second Surgery.

Hello All,

Long story short. I broke my wrist in Feb 2011 in lacrosse and the athletic trainer at my school told me that my wrist was sprained. For a month I was doing strengthening exercises to heal the "sprained" wrist. (this obviously made it worse! ) Finally, a month in she thought that it should be getting better by this time. She sent me to get an x-ray, and the doctor told me it was fractured and that i would have to get surgery.

Yes-- it was pretty stupid of me to trust the trainer since she is not a doctor. I just figured she knew what she was talking about. I wont make that mistake again.

I ended up getting surgery on March 17th of this year. The dotor put a screw in my wrist. I was casted for two months after the surgery since it would not heal. (what a great spring semester! ) After the cast was taken off I was given an ultrasound bone healing system. After the first month of this i went for a followup. she said that there was little to no improvement in healing. She told me to do the ultrasound for another month, but warned me that i would most likely have to get a hip bone graft surgery.
(okay, that wasn't too short. sorry!)

by the way, i also broke my scaphoid and radius in 2008, but it fully healed. I'm not sure if this is affecting my healing process now or not.

The doctor told me about a second surgery on my wrist and I am a little concerned. They want to take bone graft out of my hip and put it into my wrist. I also play field hockey in the fall so I probably would be out the whole season. Being active and working out is very important to me and this surgery will definitely stop me from doing all of that. I have to do what i have to do though.

Does anyone know the recovery of this surgery? I was also thinking, will i also be in a wheelchair? How would i even use a wheelchair with my wrist? electric wheelchair? oh dear. Do you think i will get full range of motion in my wrist back? How long will it take before I can walk?

If anyone can relate or help answer any questions PLEASE HELP! i am so worried.

- Terese

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply