It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board

Complications after Carpal Tunnel surgery

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2016, 04:20 AM   #1
teddybearhugs
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User
Complications after Carpal Tunnel surgery

I had Carpal Tunnel surgery 7 weeks ago on my right (dominant) hand.

Stitches were removed after 10 days... the pain was horrendous having them out, the nurse said they were very tight, and it felt like she was cutting through my hand... a week later, my hand not looking good, very swollen and red, I saw my GP, who said I had an infection, and put me on a high dose of antibiotics... 5 days after finishing them, and still having a lot of swelling/redness and pain, I was referred back to the hospital that did the surgery... they scanned my hand, and said there were some fluid pockets under the scar.. and put me on another course of antibiotics... and wanted to see me 10 days later...in between that time, I saw my Physiotherapist, (who is seeing me for my fibromyalgia).. she didn't have the paperwork or referral for my hand, but decided the swelling was there as I was not using my hand.. (I had not been holding it completely still - this was 4 weeks post op - and I had been moving it as much as I could comfortably do so, wiggling fingers etc)... she seemed adament the swelling was from lack of use, and gave me some exercises to do..) These didn't help me at all, and certainly hasn't reduced the swelling...
I was seen by the Surgeon who performed the op a few days later, and he apologised to me on several ocassions, and said it shouldn't be as it is... and has referred me to be seen again (next week) but thinking there may still be an infection put me on another high dose of antibiotics...

As things stand right now... My thumb can barely move, and is swollen, my palm is swollen, as are my fingers and I have a hard large swelling on the back of my wrist.. I can move my fingers, but cannot make a fist, cannot hold anything in the hand, it feels like I have duct tape wrapped around it, and a tight torniquay around my wrist... the only thing that helps the swelling is to keep my hand raised above my heart... but it doesn't completely go... if I use my hand, or hold it down it swells up, and is really painful...

I know I can't get medical advice from here, and am due to be seen again next week at the hospital... But I just wondered if anyone else had suffered in this way at all, or had any ideas what is going on.

I have bulging discs in my neck (C3 is touching the spinal cord) I have straightning of the Lordosis, Canal stenosis, and had a discetomy and fusion at C5/6 2 years ago... I was convinced the numbness etc in my hand was due to my neck, but the Docs said no, it was due to mild carpal tunnel, and suggested this op would cure my problems... now things are much worse... I really don't think I needed this op, and wish I hadn't had it...

Any advice would be gratefully received...

The following user gives a hug of support to teddybearhugs:
mthankfultoo (11-11-2016)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #2
jw90
(female)

jw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB User
Re: Complications after Carpal Tunnel surgery

Teddy bear..
Sorry to hear that your surgery did not go well..I had surgery 8 days ago ..right dominant hand ..i made sure a ortopedic hand surgeon did the surgery ..that is all she does is hands. My hand does not hurt at all and I get the stitches out this Tuesday morning ..I have the original bandage off and a wrist splint on and can make a fist and do some things with it use it to eat now..Did you have a general surgeon do your surgery..and how many has he done..it makes a difference on the outcome..
I have had carpal tunnel for 15 years and the numbness and pain were gone when the surgery numbing stuff wore off...
Again sorry about what you ar going through..and will keep you posted on how I am progressing..and please keep us posted how your hand is doing also.

Joanna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jw90; 10-15-2016 at 11:58 AM.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:50 AM   #3
teddybearhugs
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User

Hi Joanna,
Thank you for your reply.
My op was done by a Neuro surgeon, I am under them for my neck problems, and being blunt I think it is my neck causing the issues, not carpal tunnel... I since found out the CT was only mild... but the Consultant I saw was quite adamant this op would help... the Doc who did the op, apologised several times when I saw him a few weeks ago... during the op, I felt some of it, due the local aneasthetic not covering part of the area.. I was sent home, with no advice other than having the stitches removed 10 days later.. when I went for them to be removed they had no paperwork from the hospital, and the nurse was brutal... spiteful wasn't the word, she said they were really tight, and she was so heavy handed... no physio had been arranged for this... I am under a useless physio for fibromyalgia, and she took it upon herself with no referral to insist my hand was swollen due to lack of using it... and gave me exercises... which have made it swell more... I am due back on Tuesday to be seen by the Senior Neuro Doc... It has been awful really from start to finish.....Thank you for replying to my post hun and glad your recovery is going well xxx

Last edited by teddybearhugs; 10-16-2016 at 05:51 AM.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:28 AM   #4
teddybearhugs
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User

Quick update..
Was back for an outpatient appointment last Tuesday (originally meant for my CT results on neck... which ironically showed it is that causing the problems after all). Anyway... 2 Docs thoroughly examined my hand, and I was admitted into Hospital there and then... spent 3 days in, had bloods/MRI etc... and it turns out I have a condition called.. CRPS... which is basically nerve/tissue damage...I have been put on a large course of steroids and I need some re-hab kind of treatment along with physio now, and back for nerve conduction tests next week, to see what is going on, and a review 2 days later... At the moment, there is no guarantee's it will improve fully/how long it will take... and that is hard, as it is really painful and so hypersensitive and being my dominant hand, pretty depressing... but at least I know what it is now, and we are working towards getting it better again.
Apparantley this is very rare, but can happen, when an area on a limb is traumatised... I just hope it starts to improve soon....

The following user gives a hug of support to teddybearhugs:
jw90 (10-26-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
jw90
(female)

Hi teddybear
Have the steroids helped your hand at all I sure hope so..and it's so awful what has happened to you..it 3 weeks today since my surgery and it's been a total success. And I wish it had been that way for you.i see my surgeon on Monday and she will decide if I need some physical therapy ..maybe I won't have to ..I can now open door and lift a full cup of coffee and get dressed using both hands and can do my hair like before the surgery. Let us know how it's going with you...many hugs
Joanna

Old 10-28-2016, 05:38 PM   #6
teddybearhugs
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User

No so far after being on the steroids a week,nothing has changed...The pain is as bad, the hyper sensitivity is as bad, and I still can't use my hand... 9 weeks ago today, I had the op... my hand was far far better before the surgery... I am having nerve condcution tests next week, and then back to the Surgeon 2 days later, to see where we go from there... I just want my hand back... I am so pleased your op, was a success and thank you for your reply xxxx

Last edited by mod85; 12-01-2016 at 04:34 AM.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #7
jw90
(female)

Just a quick up date on my carpal tunnel surgery it will be 4 weeks Friday and its doing great I don't t have any pain or numbness ..saw the surgeon Monday for last visit and she was so pleased at how well my hand is.she said that in a couple of more weeks I should be able to put my hand down flat can almost do that now.

How are you doing Teddybear

Joanna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
teddybearhugs
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw90 View Post
Just a quick up date on my carpal tunnel surgery it will be 4 weeks Friday and its doing great I don't t have any pain or numbness ..saw the surgeon Monday for last visit and she was so pleased at how well my hand is.she said that in a couple of more weeks I should be able to put my hand down flat can almost do that now.

How are you doing Teddybear

Joanna
Was back at Hospital today..nerve conduction tests, show my hand still has Carpal Tunnel.. the results were 100% the same as they were before the op.. CRPS was confirmed.. and I was told there is no cure... my hand is twice the size it should be... and I cannot use it at all.. the pain is so bad now, we are looking at Pain Management and new drugs... I am so pleased your op has helped hun xxxxxx Big hugs xxxxx

Old 11-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #9
jw90
(female)

I talked to my doctor about your situation.. when I saw her and she said she has never had to redo any of her surgerys but has had to fix a lot of hands that other doctor's have botched up. Are you going to a completely different doctor and hospital that did your surgery..for a second opinion I would go to a hand surgeon at a different hospital. Where are you located ..I live in Vermont and we have the best orthopedic clinic here..they are in the ski area and their clinic gets all kinda skiing accidents ..so they are the best..
I can't believe I mopped the floor today and it di not hurt at all.
Wish you had had good results with your hand is a shame that you can not get any relief...
Hugs
Joanna

Old 11-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #10
jw90
(female)

Tedddybear how are you doing ..I think about you often. My hand is completely back to normal.. and just the best news I can imagine ..
Wishing you have found some relief by now..

Reply Reply