It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2004, 05:28 AM   #1

nikjosh HB User
how bad can carpal tunnel get?

i have had cts for years ever since i got pregnant. but mine never went away. now ever morning when i wake up my right hand is numb and i cant do anything. it takes about 5 to 10 mins to get the feelings back. my husband has tried to get me to have it checked out,but if this is as bad as it gets i can live with it. ive had too many surgeries to even consider that,and ive tried splints and it never worked. is this as bad as it gets?or do i have to look foward to it getting alot worse? thanks for any input

Old 04-20-2004, 09:49 AM   #2

sublimejg HB User
Re: how bad can carpal tunnel get?

Sorry nobody answered your post!! I am just geting started to get treatment.I wasnt sure if i could help you or not so i waited for someone w/more knowledge to come along..I have posted and got no replies b4 so i know how ya feel!!I will give my 2 cents may be it will help you make a decision!!I have moderate carpel tunnel and severe nerve damge to my ulnar nerve up to the elbow in my dominant hand..I had numbness upon waking up as well..I would say it wont get any worse if you dont ever use your hand again!!! I dont believe it is gonna get any better!! You may not even need surgery right away!! I am presently wearing a splint with a hard piece of metal in the palm area and it has been a true god send for me!!! I washed it twice and had to let it air dry.I usually did this at night.What a surprise to wake up because my hand was numb!!! It really helps to rest your wrist as well!! I have not had any treatment as yet so i cant help you there.I will tell you however it probably wont just go away.i had mild symptoms years ago that i ignored and here i am with nerve damage.It wont hurt a thing to go to a doc and get it checked out!! Would you rather wait like me until you have developed severe nerve damage??..I have had multiple surgeries also .I completely understand your not wanting another..If i have a choice between surgery and losing the use of my hand forever..I am going in for the procedure!! Learn from my mistakes..
Sublime~~

Last edited by sublimejg; 04-20-2004 at 09:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 09:57 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lidia09 HB User

Hi Nikjosh

I'll reply to your post! Hate to tell you but it can & does get a lot worse in some cases. If the nerve has pressure on it for too long then it can literally die off so you end up with fingers with no feeling in them. The muscles can wither too. The ones below my thumbs are pretty wasted & I had surgery within a year of diagnosis.

I think maybe the best thing you can do is to get some nerve conduction studies done. Those will give you a better indication of how bad the situation is & whether or not you really need surgery. You might be in a position to put up with it meantime like I am with ulnar nerve problems.

Listen to your husband - he's right!

Lidia

Old 04-20-2004, 10:11 AM   #4

nikjosh HB User

thank you both. i didnt mean to sound bad,this is just a mess. i woke up today with my fingers numb again and now my hand,wrist and arm hurt. and its my right hand,the one i do every thing with.one thing is do you know if the pain can travel? i get pain like its in my muscles that goes up my right arm into my neck and shoulders. i have tmj so i didnt know if it was comming from tmj or if it could also come from cts.well now i have lost my hand. i was typing and its like it got a mind of its own.now i can only type with my left hand. well thank you for any help. ill try to be more patient from now on. thanks have a blessed day

Old 04-20-2004, 10:20 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lidia09 HB User
Cool Re: how bad can carpal tunnel get?

The nerves which serve our fingers, start off in the neck, so yes, the pain can travel or be caused by a problem in the neck e.g. some type of injury. Those Nerve studies can tell exactly where the entrapment is along the line. It's a bit like checking the wiring on an electrical appliance

I'm afraid I don't know anything at all about tmj but maybe someone else will post a message to you.

Lidia

Old 04-20-2004, 10:29 AM   #6

sublimejg HB User

hey dont apologize for wanting answers!! I have been where you i would post and get nothing!! I dont really think the tmj has anything to do with your hand.I also have tmj its been a real long time}knock on wood} since ihad any pain from it though!! I am also having burning i n the neck and shoulders.The doc is trying to find out what the EXACT cause is to that though.I had an MRI done on the spine and thats all good.. I dont go back to the doc until next tuesday..I am taking zanaflex for the nerve burning pain as reg pain pills or advil just wont touch it!!!! Please make that call.i have been like this for 2 months ..Just like you i was trying to ignore it!!! I have had some relief since upping my dosage of zanaflex but when its time for another dose lately its comin back to haunt me..this has been a rough ride for me..Dont delay just make the call and get "something" started for yourself as there will be alot of testing before you actually get some "treatment"...Sorry about all the typo's ..LOL .my hand is sore today!You may even have to go see primary doc before being referred..Why suffer and let it get worse??IT certainly doesnt sound like its goin away!!Now log off and go make that callwoman..LOL
Go to the above post and lok for the green underlined words "carpel tunnel"The ad will give you more info as well..Good luck

Last edited by sublimejg; 04-20-2004 at 10:58 AM.

Old 04-21-2004, 05:28 AM   #7

nikjosh HB User

thanks i will make the app.im like you motrin is not helping any more. my hand did get better but it was numb again this morning.also i looked at some of the post on the tmj board and alot of people over there have the head,neck and shoulder pain as well. so probably alot of both tmj and cts. thanks for all your help. hope you all get better soon. have a blessed day.

Old 04-21-2004, 06:38 AM   #8

sublimejg HB User

no kiddin .i never had that with my case of TMJ.Best of luck on your journey..
Sublime~~~

Closed Thread