It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 11:50 AM   #1

zoron HB User
How to tell the difference between CTS vs. Ulnar nerve entrapment?

I don't know if I have asked this before, but I would like to know the differences between Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from Ulnar nerve entrapment. It seems like they both affect the hands and arms, but CTS also affects the fingers. I have not had any numbness on my fingers. I've only had pains in the palms, the middle of the wrist area and sometimes in the middle of the hand area. These pains were more frequent about a month ago. These last couple of weeks, they don't come as often. Maybe only once or twice a day now and they are more mild and often go away in 5-8 minutes. The main complain I have is that I don't sleep too good sometimes. I sometimes sleep for 2 hours and wake up in the middle of the night for no reason. I think someone said this could be parenstensia due to CTS??? I don't know...

If I do have either CTS or Ulnar Nerve entrapment, it seems to be very mild. I have heard one girl here say she had her mild CTS problems solved through one cortisone injection. Do you think I should seek that path to cure my main complaint (sleep disturbance)? Or, are there pros and cons to getting the cortisone shots?

Old 04-29-2004, 07:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Re: How to tell the difference between CTS vs. Ulnar nerve entrapment?

Carpal tunnel affects the thumb, index and middle finger, ulnar nerve entrapment affects the ring side of middle finger, the ring finger and the pinky. The pain can be similar, I have both, but with my CT I didn't have numbness just cramping and weakness throught the palm and up the wrist just a little. With the ulnar it is burning pain up the pinky finger down through the hand and up the arm sometimes on the pinky side of arm and hand. I had CTS on the right and CTS and ulnar decompression on the left which was unsuccessful and I'm left with nerve damage not repairable. It has been a year since the ulnar and my middle and ring figer are still sensitive, *****ly and burn at the tips of which I still seek physical rehab everyday.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2004, 12:33 AM   #3

zoron HB User
Re: How to tell the difference between CTS vs. Ulnar nerve entrapment?

Nancy,

Thanks. I really don't feel anything with any of my fingers. It is localized to the palm, wrist and a part of the arm areas. The pain usually begins in the afternoon (4pm) and into the night occasionally. I am sorry to hear of your damage not being able to be reversed.

I heard some say that the problem can reverse itself if I give it time and rest? I am skeptical.

Can you resolve your problems through surgery? If you take vitamins, can the nerves heal? This is scaring me. I don't want to feel like I am handicapped for the rest of my life...

Last edited by zoron; 04-30-2004 at 12:36 AM.

Closed Thread