It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2004, 01:44 PM   #1

jgarland1966 HB User
My Hands Hurt So Bad !!!

Hi, I just got home from having the nerve test done, i dont' ever want to do that again. It was very painful my hands still hurt. Diagnosis was carpul tunnel in both hands. The right hand is worse he suggests i have surgery on it soon, the left hand is beginning. I am curious about something though and wonder if anyone on here might be able to help me. I am having thyroid surgery this week taking the whole thing this time. I was wondering if i get my thyroid taken care of is there a chance it could help my carpul tunnel? I am asking because i have heard this before since im hypothyroid? I am hoping that after my thyroid surgery i might see some improvement in my carpul tunnel and won't have to have another surgery. I have had enough already. I just had a total hysterectomy in January due to a huge fibroid tumor which i am wondering its all hormone related.Any one have any ideas i would greatly appreciate them thank you.

Jan.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2004, 03:19 PM   #2

Paula57 HB User
Re: My Hands Hurt So Bad !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarland1966
Hi, I just got home from having the nerve test done, i dont' ever want to do that again. It was very painful my hands still hurt. Diagnosis was carpul tunnel in both hands. The right hand is worse he suggests i have surgery on it soon, the left hand is beginning. I am curious about something though and wonder if anyone on here might be able to help me. I am having thyroid surgery this week taking the whole thing this time. I was wondering if i get my thyroid taken care of is there a chance it could help my carpul tunnel? I am asking because i have heard this before since im hypothyroid? I am hoping that after my thyroid surgery i might see some improvement in my carpul tunnel and won't have to have another surgery. I have had enough already. I just had a total hysterectomy in January due to a huge fibroid tumor which i am wondering its all hormone related.Any one have any ideas i would greatly appreciate them thank you.

Jan.
Anything that causes swelling or fluid retention can make your carpal tunnel problems worse. I'm not surprised that your doctor suggests surgery because that's how they make their money. Unless you have low blood pressure, check with your primary care physician and see if they will put you on a low dose diuretic. Losing a little fluid (and edema is a symptom of hypothyroidism) maybe enough to ease your carpal tunnel symptoms. Many people also get relief from Vitamin B6 supplements.

I used to have a BIG problem with carpal tunnel, but now it only flares up occassionally. When I know that I'm going to be using my hands a lot, I take an anti-inflammtory like aspirin or ibuprofen IN ADVANCE to ward off any inflammation from repetitive motions. I've been handling it this way for years now and may have a major flare up once or twice A YEAR. The key is to stay ahead of the swelling and inflammation.

Also, many people get relief by wearing a light splint of some kind (mine have velcro, but you can get the big ugly ones with laces too) to keep their wrist in a neutral position, especially at night while sleeping. We twist our hands into all sorts of contortions during the night without even realizing it and this can make the carpal tunnel symptoms worse too.

Last edited by Paula57; 06-11-2004 at 03:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2004, 08:12 PM   #3

John Woo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarland1966

Jan.
Did the nerve test really hurt? I heard it just felt wierd & uncomfortable? Anyway, how exactly is the nerve test done? Thanx. Im curious to know!

Old 06-11-2004, 08:29 PM   #4

chico HB User

Be careful about waiting too long with the carpul tunnel problem. I had it in both hands at the same time. I used the hand braces, and waited until I couldn't stand the pain any more -it can get very bad, like having electric shocks running up and down your arms. You can eventually get permenant nerve damage. I had the surgery and will never regret doing so. Unfortunately, there is another set of nerves that control the ring finger and little finger, now I am having the same trouble with them.

Old 06-11-2004, 09:46 PM   #5

John Woo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico
Be careful about waiting too long with the carpul tunnel problem. I had it in both hands at the same time. I used the hand braces, and waited until I couldn't stand the pain any more -it can get very bad, like having electric shocks running up and down your arms. You can eventually get permenant nerve damage. I had the surgery and will never regret doing so. Unfortunately, there is another set of nerves that control the ring finger and little finger, now I am having the same trouble with them.
Your ring finger & middle finger hurt now? Is that still CTS or something slightly different? Thanx Chico.

Closed Thread