It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2004, 03:03 PM   #1
(male)

murphy65 HB User
carpal tunnel again 2nd time around.

I just had my nerve test done on my wrists and elbows and am waiting the results but the nurse who did the test said there is major problems with the nerve in my elbow and wrist in my right arm. I had the surgery on both my wrists (both at the same time and I don't recommend doing that) about 10 yrs ago and started having probems about 6mos ago. One question I do have for everybody that has had the surgery is this time my hands are in extreme pain my thumbs especially. I do have quit a bit of numbness but not near as much as I did the first time. My main problem is the pain. I was wondering if anybody has had this problem after having had the wrist surgery. Also has anybody had the wrist and elbow done at the same time? I was diagnosed with cts when I was 17 and didnt have the surgery until I was about 28. I waited a little longer again this time to bring it up to my doc and I am worried I might have done too much damage this time because I can't figure out why the pain is so much different this time.

Old 08-02-2004, 04:00 AM   #2
(female)

cheryl1121 HB User
Re: carpal tunnel again 2nd time around.

I had surgery last aug. each hand two wks apart. Pain started about three wks after last surgery. different kind of pain, it is like fingers have a deep extreme throbbing pain inside. my problem is also herniated disc in my neck, three of them, two are compressing spinal cord. have four in lower back compressing spinal cord. also bilateral neural foraminal stenosis. spondylosis and several other things. since my surgery pain in hands and wrist, and also severe stiffnes in fingers, swelling, turning purple,etc. now have same pain in feet, toes and ankles. i am going in wed. for a bone scan to see if i have RSD. since my surgery all things have gone for bad to worse ever imangaged. stopped working last oct. do good some days to even get out of bed. they have done numerous emg's and nerve conduction studies and it shows nerve damage in both arms and hands. one ortho even said he does not see where i ever had carpel tunnel, so looks like this may be a real long painful event. by the way it is w/c, which makes it a living hell. anyway good luck. i know one thing i would never have CTS surgery done again EVER. LOTS EASIER TO JUST STOP DOING WHAT EVER MAKES IT FLARE UP.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2004, 05:15 AM   #3
(male)

murphy65 HB User

I guess I was lucky the first time. My wrists and hands felt great and I had immmediate relief following my surgery. But like I said this time I have alot more pain and alot less numbess. My fingers and thumbs feel like they are swollen and the pain in my thumbs is terrible. I had some pain the first time but nothing like this. It hurts just to push the cigg. lighter in on my truck. Also my feet hurt when getting up in the morning or after sitting for a while. They took blood and checked for R A and said it was normal.

Old 08-02-2004, 05:35 AM   #4
(female)

cheryl1121 HB User

Sure Sounding Familiar. The Thimb Was The Most Painful And Then The Middle Finger Also Very Painful. Do You Have Any Stiffness In Your Fingers. Do They Seem Very Cold At Times Then Very Hot At Others. Yes My Feet Hurt Also, Upon Getting Up In The Morning I Can Hardly Walk On Them. The Ankles Hurt Real Bad. Then Numbness In My Toes Alot, Also A Hard Ball Like Feeling On The Bottom Of The Top Of My Foot. Legs Swell And Hurt Also At Times, Like Today. It Is Caused By Circulation. I Smoke Also And It Causes Alot Of The Circulation Problem They Say Anyway.

Old 08-02-2004, 07:51 AM   #5
(male)

murphy65 HB User

Yes I do have stiffness in my fingers esp. the middle one. I don't really notice any problems with them being cold or hot. What I don't understand is the pain in my thumbs is exactly the same on both hands actually the left is a little worse. I am right handed and my right hand has always hurt worse and has the most nerve damage from the carpal tunnel. My feet also hurt like you describe. Mainly on the bottom on the front part of the foot. They hurt really bad in the morning but once I get to walking on them they don't bother me too much until I rest them and then they hurt again. Now my thumbs and fingers hurt constantly. It almost feels like I get cramps at the base of my thumb. My legs don't bother me too much other than my calfs get tight and hurt. I also have alot of pain in my middle upper back. I take 6 vicoprofen a day and it doesn't even touch the pain in my thumbs. What is rsd? and what all have you been tested for?

Old 08-03-2004, 07:10 PM   #6

xxredstarxx HB User

i was diagnosed with cts in both hands when i was 18. i didn't get the surgey until a little after i turned 20. i did have extreme pain. it wasn't constant, but the pain was sometimes unbearable and i couldnt even use my hands at all to do anything.

Old 08-17-2004, 07:33 PM   #7

bharris HB User

I was diag. with bi-lat cts in 2000 and the comp dr done the (r) ctr. 2 months later i still was no better, i was retiested and it still showed sever cts in my (r) hand the workers comp dr told me that it would not do any good to redo the surgury on my (r) hand and said it would not do any good to do the (l) hand. Has any body heard of this or is this just workers comp Dr.

Old 08-17-2004, 07:34 PM   #8

bharris HB User
Post Re: carpal tunnel again 2nd time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris
I was diag. with bi-lat cts in 2000 and the comp dr done the (r) ctr. 2 months later i still was no better, i was retiested and it still showed sever cts in my (r) hand the workers comp dr told me that it would not do any good to redo the surgury on my (r) hand and said it would not do any good to do the (l) hand. Has any body heard of this or is this just workers comp Dr.

Old 08-23-2004, 08:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I had the ctc surgery twice and the ulnar decompression on the left 2 times, this last time was a year ago and it is a nightmare now, specifically the left hand, ulnar nerve damage, ring and index finger still feel like sausages and sometimes they feel like someone lite a match to their tips. My thumbs are by far the worst, any movement involving the thumbs causes severe cramping. I have muscle atrophy and wc sent me to physical therapy who in turn say I can not work at the type of work as before, typing all day. do to other spine and cervical disease they are considering recommending a pension from wc. Fortunately I can type for about 15 minutes at a time and then need to rest my hands for a couple hours. I've been told that ct surgery should not be done more than once and if need be it will be a failure 90% of the time, I sure am living it now. Some people are just more prone to reinjury of a failed cts and the last surgery brought on arthritis in both hands, this has been no fun and I won't do it again anyway, my emgs and ncvs are total postive for small fiber nerve damage.

Old 08-25-2004, 06:08 PM   #10

Sadened HB User
Lightbulb Re: carpal tunnel again 2nd time around.

I have had Bi-Lateral Carpal Tunnel since April 96' from work...in April 97' finally got the right wrist release within 3 months it returned...but, not as severe....So, I have had Bi-Lateral Carpal Tunnel for over 8 years now.....Oh, that thumb thing you feel I have had that all along too....but, in therapy I found if I would pull my thumb it would pop and I would get at least some relief...I have all the crappy symptoms but these days I feel very swollen doesn't look swollen feels very swollen ...... the base of the thumb I know exactly what you are saying..... I wish'd I could say more sooner or later I will have to get both done the right one again....I have neuropathy in both elbows...which is nerve damage....no one ever said anything about any surgeries.....if they did I wouldn't have them done anyway....New Here....Thanks for llistening I wish'd I could tell you it will all disappear....but, for me its all apart of decades of keyboards and mouse's....

Old 08-25-2004, 07:52 PM   #11
(male)

murphy65 HB User

I just got back from my orthopedic doc. He took more x-rays and looked at all my tests and symptoms. He said I need surgery again on wrists plus surgery on the elbows to relocate the nerve and also will do something at the base of my thumbs and middle fingers. He said that I developed trigger thumb and finger and can fix it. My thumbs are very painful right now. He wants to do this on the 31st of this month. He wants to do one arm at a time 4 weeks apart. I think I am going to do it because I need some relief and If I wait I know my insurance is just going to get worse and it will just cost me more money. I thought about turning it in on work comp but since I have already had both wrists done before I am afraid it would just be a long drawn out denial.

Old 08-31-2004, 09:05 AM   #12
Veteran

whatamess@35 HB User

hi murphy
well today should have been the day for surgery...how are you feeling?i just had carpel tunnel surg and ulnar nerve release..one week ago yesterday..i get my stitches out tomorrow...hope all went well with you..

Old 08-31-2004, 10:49 AM   #13
(male)

murphy65 HB User

Well work comp had me postpone the surgery to get a second opinion. I have it rescheduled for sept 15th. They arent disputing the carpal tunnel and the thumb and finger stuff but they want a second opinion on the cubital at the elbows.

Old 08-31-2004, 09:11 PM   #14
Veteran

whatamess@35 HB User

workers comp i am guessing was originally for us "the workers"what on earth is happening??? i was injured while working..filed got denied and just said the heck with it...i just had my surgery through my in surance..so i can get myself together and get back to working.huuby has a hernia ..they are making him appeal his denial and will have to wait 45 days now...isnt it rediculous what they put us thru??let us know how everything goes...take care..

Old 09-09-2004, 08:06 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Had them both on both hands a year apart, the thumb pain is the most miserable for me, everythig I do involves them and they really hurt, also after my last surgery arthritis set in both hands, they could not explain it.

Closed Thread