It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2004, 09:22 PM   #1

triplett_ryan HB User
surgery on both hands at same time or not?

I was just wondering if anyone has ever had CTS on both hands at the same time. I have severe CTS and am going to be getting surgery in a few months and I am trying to figure out how I am going to do this financially since I will be out of work for so long, and I don't have any kind of disability insurance or workers comp to cover it. I was thinking if I got surgery on both hands at the same time it would be a shorter time away from work, but I was wondering if you would even have enough function to change your own clothes or go to the bathroom if you did both at the same time. Will surgeons even do both at the same time? I was also wondering if anyone knows how long I can expect to be out of work? I work in a factory environment building windows in which I use my hands quite a bit. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Ryan

Old 10-02-2004, 10:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Re: surgery on both hands at same time or not?

You can have the cts on both hands at the same time as long as you don't mind someone else wiping your butt!!!! I had each hand done at different times, I was back typing clumsy like at the end of 2 weeks for one hand but it was 6 weeks for the other as there were other problems as well as carpal. I know of some who had both done at the same time and wish they hadn't, it is nice to have the other hand free to help with daily functions and all. Also I've heard that with both being done at the same time the recovery is slower because for one, you need to have physical therapy and the other hand can perform at home therapy as well. If it was me, I wouldn't. Did you develope CT on the job? Sound like this could be work related to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2004, 10:54 PM   #3

triplett_ryan HB User

Thanks for the info NancyH. Yes, I do think I would like to be able to wipe myself I just started my new job, so I don't think it is the cause of my CT, although I don't think it helps any. I am a diabetic and have been told this is the underlying cause for my CT. They thought it may have been diabetic neuropothy, but it turned out to be CT. I'm not sure which is better. I guess at least there is a treatment for CT, so I am thankful for that Do you think I would have any trouble returning to work in the environment I work in? If anyone else has any info please reply. Once again thank you NancyH.

Old 10-04-2004, 09:34 AM   #4
(male)

murphy65 HB User

Hey there,
I had both wrists done at the same time about 8 yrs ago. I was in the same boat as you are. I thought why take twice as long to heal. The doctor was very reluctant to do it but they will do it. It was pretty tough but it is amazing what you can do for yourself when you have to. If you do it make sure you get yourself some baby wipes and plan on taking alot of baths. Get yourself a pair of cutoff sweats and plan on wearing them until you get your bandages off. Oh and you will be going commando if you know what I mean. Also I just had cubital and carpal tunnel surg. again along with trigger release on my thumb and middle finger on my right arm will have the left done in about 6 weeks. They say most people have to have surgery more than once

Old 10-05-2004, 08:51 AM   #5
(female)

agentalias HB User

I had my surgeries on both hands but at different times. At that time, I had a 3 year old and it would be impossible to care for her without the use of at least one hand.

Don't wait too long, I got permanent nerve damange in both hands from waiting too long for the surgery.

Good luck.

Old 10-05-2004, 03:58 PM   #6

Location: In any campground that suits my needs at the moment - seriously.
kb1lon HB User

I would very much recommend having them done at separate times, and only have the 2nd done after you have had the stitches removed and a little time for your first hand to recover a little. Don't wait too long overall, and talk to your surgeon about it. I had my non-dominant (in my case, left) hand done first, but that doesn't matter - that was more my preference. Once my right hand was done I had "fun" learning to eat and other routine things with my left hand, but now as a result I'm somewhat ambi-dextrous. So good from bad, no?

Old 10-12-2004, 09:31 AM   #7

mamajo HB User

I had them done 1 month apart...I felt I needed to have one free hand at all times. lol...for the reasons mentioned above..lol....I have to tell you though...please do all the physical therapy as required...you will need to do that in order to have strength in those hands. Even though I exercised my hands I still don't have the power I use to have and it's been about a year and a half now...Good Luck

Last edited by mamajo; 10-12-2004 at 09:32 AM.

Old 10-12-2004, 09:39 AM   #8
(female)

ilovethenow HB User

I'm pretty sure that a guy I used to work with (who only had one arm and had carpal tunnel in his other {obviously} hand) had it done with laser surgery and he was back to work w/in the week.

Old 10-18-2004, 08:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Just be sure you don't let it go too long I have permanent nerve damage in both hands along with my neuropathy and am on a pension now so don't wait, muscle strength is lost pretty fast.

Old 11-19-2004, 01:14 PM   #10
(female)

AnnieZC HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyH
You can have the cts on both hands at the same time as long as you don't mind someone else wiping your butt!!!!
that was my first thought too LOL!

Last edited by AnnieZC; 11-19-2004 at 01:15 PM.

Closed Thread