It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2004, 04:07 PM   #1

JaneA HB User
Strange lump in palm of hand

Hi

I'm new to theses boards so please excuse me if my post is answered in another thread somewhere

I'm at a loss so thought id search around and found this forum, hoping someone may be able to give me some advise, i will make it as brief as possible.

I started to get pins and needles and numbness in my left hand in November 2002, my Doctor said it was Carpal tunnel, after referring me to a consultant, he was undecided, in fact said it wasn't and that i needed to have a nerve conductive test, 4 days later i woke in the early hours of the morning with the most agonising pain ever, i couldn't move my hand, my hand was completely paralysed, my Doctor gave me Tramadol, i couldn't use my hand for nearly a week, i had my nerve conductive test two weeks later and it came back normal, i noticed i had a lump appear in my palm, this sometimes is very painful, when i went back to my consultant he decided i should see a Neurologist for further tests, months later i had an MRI scan and an X-ray on my neck, both came back normal, he decided i should have physiotherapy, i did for 4 months and no change at all, so yet again i was referred back to my original consultant, he refused to see me and said he couldn't do no more, so i went back to my doctor who referred me to pain managment....i knew what he would say and i was correct, i need to be seem by my original consultant, im still waiting.

Does anyone here suffer with a lump in the palm of their hand which can be very painful? my middle finger sometimes swells up and i cant bend it at all, not an hour goes by and i don't suffer with a stabbing pain every day

If anyone can offer me any advise id be truly grateful

Thanks

Jane

Last edited by JaneA; 10-11-2004 at 04:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2004, 06:22 PM   #2
Veteran

whatamess@35 HB User
Re: Strange lump in palm of hand

This sounds absurd!!!!!!!!Where do you live that you would have to wait sooo long for those tests?? Have you had any doctor confirm they feel the lump in your hand also?How about someone offereing to open your hand and remove it??I am not a doctor but that would be my first guess as to what causing you such distress right?

Old 10-12-2004, 06:51 AM   #3

JaneA HB User

Hi

Thanks for replying, i live in England (so i guess that says it all) yes the lump has been felt, its very prominent....but no one seems to be bothered in rushing an appointment, they know the extent of my pain but typiaclly im at the back of the queue again, sick of it

Old 02-25-2005, 07:04 AM   #4
(female)

lotusgdess HB User

Never heard of a lump in the hand with carpal tunnel problems. My mom had one several years ago, but she was pretty elderly. It's some kind of non malignant tumor that had to be removed, or she would eventually lose the use of her hand. Frankly her surgery & recovery was much worse than the carpal tunnel surgery that I had on both wrists.

Old 02-27-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
(female)

bluiidmngr HB User

I was diagnosed with CTS under comp. I had to wait over a year for my EMG studies (had to wait until I won the comp case). There they said I had severe CarpalTS and ALSO cubital tunnel. I saw a surgeon who said I need surgery on wrist and elbow. Instead of getting authorization for surgery, I received notice that they were appealing the decision. Well... I just recently won the appeal (after several(4) more months). The carrier is now playing games I believe. Lawyer called and they said they faxed authorization. Noone received this fax. So the story continues....
Sorry, I strayed. Just trying to say that, unfortunately, they seem to make it about money. I have been waiting over a year and a half for surgery and waited a year for the to tests to confirm. Good luck, it does help to push the issue.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:05 AM   #6
(male)

charlodius HB User

A lump in your palm is not a sign of CTS. Do you ever get a popping or snapping sensation around the lump when you open or close your fingers? If you do, it may be a trigger finger, which is a small nodule on the tendon that gets caught in one of the pulleys in your palm ( your tendons run through sheaths and pulleys under your skin).

Old 04-08-2005, 11:56 AM   #7
(male)

charlodius HB User

If it's Dupuytrens, you can feel a fibrotic band in your palm around your palmar crease, however I don't know this to be painful- it just limits extension of your digits- particularly your ring and pinky.

Closed Thread