It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2004, 09:45 PM   #1

litelady HB User
pain up into arms & shoulders with carpal tunnel?

I was diagnosed with moderate carpal tunnel in both hands back in August of this year. I have been wearing splints on both wrists since then at night which has helped the nighttime numbness I was getting but I have a question to other suffers of cps. Does anyone else get pain into their arms & up into shoulders? I also have fibromyalgia and my dr. told me that cps shouldn't affect my shoulders that it's probably the fibro. But this pain only started after the cps started acting up.
Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-28-2004, 08:19 AM   #2

healinggarden HB User
Re: pain up into arms & shoulders with carpal tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by litelady
I was diagnosed with moderate carpal tunnel in both hands back in August of this year. I have been wearing splints on both wrists since then at night which has helped the nighttime numbness I was getting but I have a question to other suffers of cps. Does anyone else get pain into their arms & up into shoulders? I also have fibromyalgia and my dr. told me that cps shouldn't affect my shoulders that it's probably the fibro. But this pain only started after the cps started acting up.
Hi!

Sorry about the carpal and fibro I know your pain! I have horrid arm pain and in my shoulders. It feels like I was swinging a medicine ball all night in my sleep when I wake up in the morning. I have fibro really bad in my shoulders. Cold and stress aggravate it. I have to stay warm with my shoulders so they don't ache. I use Tylonel for the pain and a heating pad to keep my arms warm.

Stretching helps too. I do low impact yoga and it helps me not be so stiff. A good sleep cycle helps too.

I hope this helps!
Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2004, 12:27 AM   #3
(female)

bluiidmngr HB User

I have carpal and cubital tunnel syndrome. I get terrible pain in my bicep and also my shoulder. Just recently have been havin problems with my middle finger sticking/locking and not being able to use it recently. It may have nothing to do with the carpal and cubital. I am not a doctor. I have been doing nothing, against many people's advice - due to my case being in comp for almost 1 1/2 years now! Good luck. My doctor sais my arm pain is from nerve damage and gives me pills for this. Painkillers don't touch it. She now gives me pain for the nerve/s. I tried several, but slept all the time. I don't take the pills and will have to live with the pain until my surgery I suppose.

Old 01-15-2005, 03:48 PM   #4
(female)

lynnclaude HB User

Hello,

This is the first time that I have been on. I had carpal tunnel surgery in may on my left hand and in June on my right. Things were going well, but a few months ago I started having pain in my left shoulder and arm, and now both hands are getting the same symptoms as when I first had carpal tunnel. Can it reoccure or could it be something else. I didn't have pain in my arm or shoulder the last time and I am in deep pain. Should I call my doctor or will it just go away????? confused.

Lynn

Old 02-06-2005, 05:07 PM   #5

Beagle lover HB User

The pain is in both my arms from the shoulder in the hands bilaterally. I have always been very tender up in the scapula region and do have carple tunnel-the Dr called it a double whammy-where the nerves are restricted at the clavicle and the wrist. It has to do with the brachiol plexus nerves from the shoulder and runs down the arm in to hands and also the ulner nerve at the elbow. it is painful-and the pain can srive me carzy-yet I hear not so good things about the surgery too but I have almost lost total control of both thumbs and the thumbs now are bvery painful in the padding part of the thumb.

Old 02-09-2005, 07:38 PM   #6
(female)

sunshineybear HB User

undefined
Quote:
Originally Posted by litelady
undefined

I just went to my surgeon today, after having testing again last week. He told me that I have a very severe case of CTS, along with nerves that have died in my hand and fingers. This is in the rt hand and of course I'm rt handed. I also have it in the left hand. But the rt hand is going to be operated on first next month. He told me that he feels it's been too long and too much damage that I'll ever regain all the strength or the feeling in my fingers. Might still get some of the burning, numbing pains also. But he feels that the surgery will relieve a lot of it. Also told me that if I don't have the surgery, it's only going to get worse. Good thing is that it's not destroyed the nerve in my neck yet. Thank the Lord above for that.

I too have the pains that shoot up from my fingers all the way to my neck and pinch the nerve in my neck. I also get a lot of pain on the inside of my elbow, which is caused from CTS and nerve damage.

Old 02-15-2005, 02:40 PM   #7
(female)

lotusgdess HB User

Had carpal tunnel surgery bilateral approx 2 yrs ago. At the time of the surgery & for some time after I also had pain in the arms (like a toothache) going up to the neck. The surgeon ruled out any neck problems. Eventually the pain in my arms left. My nerve tests showed severe carpal tunnel problems & moderate cubital tunnel (elbow). Last month the aching has come back in upper arms & kind of goes around to the middle of my back at times. The numbness & tingling were immediately resolved by CT surgery &but somehow I don't think this latest pain is related to the CT. I was told previously by a treating chiropractor that I probably have a "double crush" syndrome wherein the nerves are being restricted in more than one place. Has anyone on this board actually had the cubital tunnel surgery?I may be looking at it & I hear it's gnarly. This is my first board. Can I communicate directly with others through their email?
Kathy

Old 02-16-2005, 07:06 PM   #8
(female)

KJW HB User
Question Re: pain up into arms & shoulders with carpal tunnel?

I've had Fibro for at least 4 years and was diagnosed today with Carpal and Cubital Tunnel. The Doc gave me a shot of Cortisone in my wrist and put me in a wrist brace.
I will see him again in a month and go from there. A year ago I received a shot of Cortisone into my shoulder (same side) for severe shoulder pain and it didn't help at all. Have you had the shot in your wrist? If so, did it help that?

Last edited by KJW; 02-16-2005 at 07:07 PM.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:12 PM   #9
(female)

caateddy13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluiidmngr
I have carpal and cubital tunnel syndrome. I get terrible pain in my bicep and also my shoulder. Just recently have been havin problems with my middle finger sticking/locking and not being able to use it recently. It may have nothing to do with the carpal and cubital. I am not a doctor. I have been doing nothing, against many people's advice - due to my case being in comp for almost 1 1/2 years now! Good luck. My doctor sais my arm pain is from nerve damage and gives me pills for this. Painkillers don't touch it. She now gives me pain for the nerve/s. I tried several, but slept all the time. I don't take the pills and will have to live with the pain until my surgery I suppose.

I am really sorry to hear about all the problems I am hearing about with pain management from carpal tunnel syndrom. I have all the same problems all of you have. I went through workmans comp which I have to say sucks excuse my french. The thing is that the doctors in my opinion don't care and will keep you going around in circles just for the money. I finally had to quite my job and the only techniques that help for pain was massages every week for a month, excercise, and bowen treatments. When I found my new job I was good has new, but then I drive all day long with my new job and that cause my CT to come back full blown. I started the massages all over again and excercise a lot more frequently, but I tried something different this time. I tried accupunture and it really work great for at least four months. I figure I would rather spend my time getting accupunture through my insurance then getting surgery. I heard good and bad things about the surgery so I decided it is a 50/50 chance of it working. Well good luck on your decsions with things and hey maybe try some of the things I have suggestioned it is worth a shot.

Last edited by caateddy13; 02-16-2005 at 10:19 PM.

Old 02-24-2005, 09:05 PM   #10
(female)

lotusgdess HB User

Yes it is a major symptom of carpal tunnel & cubital tunnel problems. All those nerves that are involved in causing pain (the median nerve, the ulnar nerve etc.) run through your arm up into your neck. When all is working properly we don't even know they exist, but when they are constantly being squeezed by ligaments etc or whatever is causing the crush on the nerve, then zowie you get major pain. It's a real drag. I'm again having that nagging constant pain that goes up the arm into my neck area.

Old 02-26-2005, 04:24 PM   #11
(female)

lotusgdess HB User

My pain lately has been in the whole shoulder & arm area, up into the neck. I had CT surgery 2 yrs ago. The pain seems to worsen as the day progresses. Does anyone else experience the pain increasing as the day progresses? The jacuzzi really helps. I used part of my workers comp money to buy a really good one & it has had added benefit of helping my immune system. Very few colds or anything of that nature since I started using it.

Old 03-01-2005, 01:34 PM   #12
(female)

BettyV HB User

I was diagnosed with severe carpal tunnel syndrome in 1990. I was scheduled for surgery. But in researching others who had been through the op I became very worried. Seemed like the pain was only temporarily alleviated. So I decided that I would not go under the knife.

Instead I embarked upon some vigorous daily walking. Really swinging those arms. All I can say is that it worked wonders for me.

You don't get 'cured' of carpal tunnel syndrome And I didn't. But I have learned how to manage it. And while I certainly don't go out walking every day (like I once did) - I know that when my body locks up and the pain comes back - I can work it out.

Just thought you might like to know.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:30 PM   #13
(female)

lotusgdess HB User

Does anyone else have additional problems of arthritis? I'm getting from my doctor that my recent pain is arthritis pain. I did really well on Celebrex but stopped taking due to the risk issues exposed recently in the media, but we have come to the conclusion that for now I will resume the Celebrex & see if things improve. Arthritis & carpal tunnel/cubital tunnel etc. seem to be syndromes that tend to go hand in hand from what I've learned. I've kind of resigned myself to pain henceforth on some level until I'm 6 feet under. As you all probably know, who have had chronic pain, after awhile it starts to become so routine you don't notice it much of the time. Still and all, it would be great not to have any. A few months back, I woke up one morning, got out of bed, brushed my teeth & realized suddenly that I felt zero pain anywhere in my body. Thought I'd died & gone to heaven & didn't know it. Sure would like to know why that happen so that I could duplicate the experience!! Unfortunately, it only lasted a few hours.

Old 03-30-2005, 05:42 AM   #14
(female)

Aryes517 HB User

Hi...
I am new to this, but i also have been having terrible pain in my shoulders down into my wrists, into my hands, palm and thumb. I did some PT and do see a chiropractor and it did help a little, but i work on the computer all day and now the pain is worse then ever. I have resigned myself to the fact that i will have to have the proper tests. My primary care Dr. thinks it is a pinched nerve and not CTS. Any opinions?

Old 05-04-2005, 01:08 PM   #15
(male)

charlodius HB User

It is not uncommon for people with carpal tunnel to report radiating pain up the arm. You can experience this with or without fibromyalgia. However in the presence of fibromyalgia, your hand pain may also be causing you to maintain your upper quadrant in a guarded or "tensed" posture, further irritating your fibromyalgia.

To Buiidgmgr--- Your finger getting stuck, popping---sounds like a trigger finger, which is a nodule on your tendon that gets stuck in a pulley in your palm. This is unrelated to cts or cubital tunnel. Gently squeeze your palm on the crease of your hand just proximal to the finger in question and actively open and close the finger. You should feel a lump moving back and forth if you have a trigger. This can be treated conservatively with ice/splint, depo injection, or if that fails, a pulley release (surgery).

Closed Thread