It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 11:02 PM   #1
(female)

venomm8 HB User
Question carpal tunnel and ganglion cysts

hello all,

Does anyone know if carpal tunnel and ganglion cysts are linked? I have a ganglion cyst on my right wrist and my nerve conduction test came back negative, yet my surgeon says he wants to do an endoscopic carpal tunnel?

I am thinking maybe he wants a bigger paycheck?

Last edited by venomm8; 01-15-2005 at 06:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
(female)

Georgette HB User
Re: carpal tunnel and ganglion cysts

I have had a ganglion cyst on my left wrist since I was 13 years old. I am now 31, so that was long before I ever used a computer on a regular basis. It was in the pocket of the top of my wrist until about a year ago, but then I noticed one day that it had moved to the pocket at the base of my thumb. It used to change shape, size and firmness quite a lot in the first several years but has stayed somewhat the same for the past 10 years (except for moving). I certainly think it can put pressure on nerves in your hand, but I don't know for sure if it's related to carpal tunnel. A doctor once told me it wasn't, but I never had any tingling or pain in my hand until I got the cyst. Repetitive motion certainly aggravates it, like flipping through a lot of papers for extended periods. Sometimes the tendon that leads to my thumb gets caught on one side of it and then when I move my thumb the tendon snaps over to the other side. That's a weird feeling! I do find relief wearing a tensor bandage overnight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2005, 06:04 AM   #3
(male)

Baalzamon HB User

I had a ganglion cyst on my left hand for 10-15 years which caused me no bother. 1 year ganglion started to move towards my wrist & was shrinking & eventually vanished.
Approx 1-2 years later my wrist became very sore & hard to move due to pain. A few weeks later probing my wrist I detected a small lump which turned out to be another ganglion cyst. 3 weeks of soreness eventually vanished when it moved. I took to hitting the cyst with a book because it was still causing me a bit of grief, but it kept regrowing. Eventually it moved into a "good" spot, but imagine my suprise when a 2nd ganglion appeared behind the 1st one...
Saw my doc about getting them removed & they have finally been removed a few days ago. Never had any connection with carparl tunnel which I have had a bit in my right wrist

Old 02-24-2005, 08:20 AM   #4
(male)

bradjacob HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baalzamon
Saw my doc about getting them removed & they have finally been removed a few days ago. Never had any connection with carparl tunnel which I have had a bit in my right wrist
I have two questions:

1. How do you go about removing these disgusting things? I can't even do a pushup without my wrist collapsing in pain!

2. Do people get these cycsts at the base of the thumb?

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

- Brad

Old 03-01-2005, 12:03 PM   #5
(female)

workinggurl85 HB User
Arrow Re: carpal tunnel and ganglion cysts

I was a teenager when I was told that I had a ganglion cysts with carpal tunnel. I found it when I was at band camp one day and my wrist started hurting. I was on the flag line so I used my wrist a lot.
I went to the doctor the next day and got a referral to an orthopedic surgeon. After he examined me he made a surgery date immediately. He told me that I would be back into everything in a couple of weeks. I had the surgery and after 6 weeks of sitting on the sidelines I memorized the routines and put the movements together in my head. I got to march that season but my wrist still hurt a lot.
The cyst was gone but it came back 6 months later. A year after the first surgery I went to another doctor and set another surgery date. He told me that the first doctor had done a sloppy job and was not through enough. I had the second surgery and had a cast put on for another 6 weeks. Also this time the doctor told me that I would never be able to twirl a flag again.
Well it has been almost 3 years since and the cyst reappeared a year after the second surgery, I am still in pain from the littlest movements. I am only 19 now and trying to work on my college and career. It's hard with all of the pain and papers that I have to write and type. My mother suggests I have a third surgery but I think it's a waste of my time and of money.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do?

Tiffany :

Last edited by workinggurl85; 03-01-2005 at 12:08 PM.

Old 03-02-2005, 06:36 AM   #6
(female)

Georgette HB User

I saw a doctor about three years after I first got my ganglion cyst. She told me that there were two ways to remove it: Drain it with a needle, and there would be an 80% chance of it returning, or surgically cut it out and there would be a 30% chance of it coming back. I decided that these percentages were too high to bother with, so I just left it. That was about 15 years ago. So they do have a very high likelihood of returning. It limits movement and I don’t have much strength with that wrist, but I have just learned to live with it. It is in my left wrist and fortunately I am right handed. But things like flag twirling would definitely be out of the question for me!

I have a really good tensor bandage that I got from the hospital when my dad broke his arm. They can’t reuse them due to hygienic reasons, so I took it. It is better than any that you would find in a store. I usually wear it when my wrist aches.

Closed Thread