It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2005, 03:36 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

mydogsobe HB User
Carpal Tunnel Questions/Need Help

Hello I just recently been diagnosed with Carpo Tunnel in both wrists. A lot of times when I go to grasp something or pinch like motion I get a very sharp pain that shoots up my arm causing big time pain. It happens a lot and is getting worse. At night is horrible. I constantly wake up with my fingers/ hand numb and its not just numb im talking about really hurting, sore numb and this is really getting bad. It seems worse every night.
I have to wait for surgery because I'm having major back surgery at the end of this month and I will need my hands to help me get around.
Q: Is this typical? Q:Should I be alarmed about anything? From what I know about Carpo is that they do a surgery and its fixed. Thats it, a real simple thing and never have to worry about it again. Q: Is this true? Q: Can it make things worse to wait? Q:Is there ever problems afterwards? Q: Do people need to get pain pills for this or do you just grin and bare it? Q: Whats the therapy like. Q: Is there anything else I should know that I didnt ask?
Wow a lot of Questions, I know but I dont know anything about this. If anyone(s) can talk to me I would be really gratefull. Thank You

Last edited by mydogsobe; 04-06-2005 at 03:37 PM. Reason: needed to add

Old 04-08-2005, 12:05 PM   #2
(male)

charlodius HB User
Re: Carpal Tunnel Questions/Need Help

I would have as many questions if I was contemplating surgery!
Yes, carpal tunnel syndrome can be very painful, particularly at night if you sleep with your wrists bent. If you are not having surgery soon, get some wrist splints made, and ask your doctor about having a steroid injection into your carpal tunnel. That may help. Surgery consists of a small incision on your wrist, going partially into your palm to release a ligament. You will probably feel some degree of discomfort afterwards, but keep your hand elevated to reduce swelling, and it will help. Your doctor will probably provide some pain meds to get you over the hump ( Hydrocodone or oxycodone ) but pain shouldnt last long. In terms of therapy, edema management, range of motion, scar management, and grip strengthening (after a while) are indicated. A prolonged course of therapy is uncommon-- If you keep the swelling down, you shouldnt have any problems. Recurrent carpal tunnel syndrome is possible following surgery, but is rare.

Last edited by charlodius; 04-08-2005 at 12:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
(female)

Surrender2Win HB User

I had carpel tunal release on both wrists a year ago,the results have been amazing!! It was difficult after the surgery since I had them done at the same time.I had bandages on both wrists for about a week,then they took the stitches out and gave me these splints to wear.Honestly I was really sore for about 2 weeks. Just pain from moving my hands.I took Hydrocodone untill I didn't need it.I went to physical therapy for a while,and after some time your hands won't hurt anymore and you will notice a big difference than before you had the surgery.I will pray for you Good luck!

Old 05-15-2005, 11:11 AM   #4
(male)

razdaa HB User

Guys,
I have CTS in both hands. I have been having pain for now almost 5 months. I am also a Computer Engineer and working with computer makes me earn my livelyhood. If I take surgery route would I be able to work with computers again. Any advice will be really helpful. Not sure if I am left with any other option. I tried splints and anti inflamotry drugs with no help.

Old 05-15-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
(female)

MacJulia1970 HB User
Smile Re: Carpal Tunnel Questions/Need Help

hi, in response to your carpal tunnel --it is a horrible thing. I had rt carpal tunnel release 18 months ago, & lt carpal tunnel release 9 wks ago. No problems at all on the rt hand. I stayed out of work 4 weeks, but 6 weeks for the left hand as I am left-handed. I am an xray tech and it requires a lot of lifting & supporting patients as well as a lot of repetitive motion. I have developed scar tissue buildup at the surgical site, & my fingers are still numb, but the pain subsided immediately after the surgery. Was it worth the surgery? Absolutely! . However, I would not recommend having both hands done at the same time--everybody wants to maintain their dignity at some point & not have somebody helping with the most intimate things. If your Dr. can give you a cortisone injection, those are great as they can postpone surgery for a while, as well as getting relief from the symptoms. After surgery, the Dr. will usually send you home with a mild and a moderate painkiller; mine were tylenol 3 and percocet. I only took one, and that was the day of the surgery as a preventative measure. I wrapped my arm in a trash bag so I could shower--the dressing has to stay dry for a week. The most difficult part of the whole thing is having no use of that hand until the dressing comes off. I have an appointment with dr. to see what needs to be done about the scar tissue. Scar tissue buildup is a rare occurance, but I am not surprised as the lt wrist was extremely inflamed. Usually, they can inject the scar tissue to help it dissolve. Hope this helps. Good luck

Old 05-18-2005, 06:43 AM   #6
(female)

windmillgal2003 HB User

Hello, I have been at my current job for almost 11 months and now I think I may have carpal. My right hand has started hurting, my thumb is numb, if I turn or reach for something, it shoots sharp pains in my hand and up my wrist. I have been wearing a splint at night to help as I have not been to the doctor yet. I am fixing to go later this week or next week. Can this go away without surgery?? Or does it always end up with surgery?? Any info would be a great help. Thanks

Closed Thread