It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2002, 05:49 AM   #1
(female)

jzzlvr13 HB User
Post pain in hands at night for a side sleeper

Any strategies for someone who wakes up often each night with tingling, burning, an pain in one or both hands. I sleep on my side and have tried two pillows, no pillows, neck pillows, towel and nothing works. I only have a bit of tingling during the day, nothing too bothersome but the nights are tough. I believe it's arthritis causing CTS symptoms. I don't work on a computer. thanks in advance.
b

Old 10-19-2002, 09:05 AM   #2

dodgeywristgeezer HB User
Firstly, go see a doctor before following any advice on here - you might be hurting yourself unduly.
But here's my piece.......
Like most people here, we have newly acquired, or are....pardon the pun...'old hands' (!) at CTS.

Try sleeping on your back with your hands on your chest as if you're laid out in a morgue - it is a totally unatural way to sleep, but it can slow down the bloodflow to the wrist/hand area, and potentially reduce the pain and tingling.
Equally, while sleeping on your (right)side - tuck your (right) hand up underneath your pillows i.e. lay on it. And tuck you (left) hand up by the side of your face, or under the pillow with your (right) hand.
This is the same principle as keeping your hands raised.

(I've not tried the following myself) - the use of medically approved 'splints'. I did read somewhere that the best thing fro CTS sufferers is to try to get your wrist(s) in a situation where they are not bent....which , of course, is almost anytime of the day - which is why they sometimes advise to wear splints at night.

Get medical advice first.
I hope this helps.
D.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2002, 06:26 PM   #3

farmer_girl HB User
Well, I don't work on a computer much either. Grasping and hauling stuff around all day is more my game.

My CTS flares up at night also. One person suggested arms in the air. Another said hang arms down low. My experience is more in line with the second person. When I hang my arms over the side of the bed, the pain and numbness lessens or disapears. I haven't resorted to splints yet, but I may.

Old 01-17-2003, 06:16 PM   #4

duckley HB User
Hi

About 8 years ago, my sleep was disturbed by my hands "falling asleep" ... there was never any pain, just annoyance. I was diagnosed as having CT and had some wrist splints made for me. I was told to try to sleep with my arms/hands flat.

The wrist splints have long since fallen apart, and my sleep was rarely disturbed for quite a long time. Once again I am waking several times at night with my hands tingly and "asleep".

I have seen wrist protectors at the drug store designed to help those with weak or injured wrists. They look an awful lot like the splints I had made. Has anyone tried these? I am so busy, so not having to go back to the doctor and the folks who make the splints is quite appealing.

I can't sleep on my back as it increasing my tendancy to snore. This in turn disturbs my husband who in turn disturbs me ... so it may solve the CT problem, but now two people are having their sleep disturbed. I do keep my hands under the pillow often, but that doesn't seem to help either.

Any advise would be appreciated.

d

Closed Thread