It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2003, 07:17 AM   #1

buzlr HB User
Post Does CTS qualify for Social Security Disability

Hi, does anyone know if CTS in both hands qualifies a person for SSD. I've had 4 operations and both hands are shot. Was told that they can't operate anymore. Also have major depression from going through all this.Lost my job due to CTS. Social Security turned me down the first time. Has anyone ever got SSD for this or should I give up after being turned down.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

Old 10-13-2003, 08:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
My thought on that is, what type of work can you do that doesn't require lifting heavy objects, have repetitive motion, like assembly line, typing etc? If your Dr says there is no way that you can hold down a job that requires use of the hands what can they do? You need your hands for every job and if you can't use them then you should qualify for SSD BUT you will need a lawyer who deals with these guys cuz they will have you flipping burgers with your mouth at McDonalds if they have to. I'm in the same position with both hands hardly able to lift a cup of coffee without severe wrist pain and this last surgery he severed my ulnar nerve in the left hand and I have very little feeling in it. Oh, it takes about three rejections from SSI before you are excepted, just the way they play the ball game.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2003, 04:16 AM   #3
Irish Cream

I tried getting SSD and was turned down. Carpal Tunnel surgery May 2001.Right side. Left one starts acting up. Fell on both hands Jan 2002. Fired from job Mar 2002. Now in lots of pain and wearing two braces. Depression from all the pain and put myself into hospital Apr 2002. Long story but I tried and was turned down cause they figure there is something you can do no matter how bad your hands are. Took me a bit over a year to find a job that would take me. Pain really bad at times still with new job but too scared to leave cause it took me so long to find this one. I sit in a booth at the airport and check in rental cars. Occ. driving,a little paperwork. Can't lift peoples heavy bags. Unfortunately out in rain and cold while doing some parts of job so that increases pain. Boy can't wait to see what I feel like when it finally snows. Plus a bunch of other crap now going on with body feel like I'm falling apart.

[This message has been edited by Irish Cream (edited 10-16-2003).]

Old 10-16-2003, 06:08 AM   #4

abrat HB User
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by buzlr:
Hi, does anyone know if CTS in both hands qualifies a person for SSD. I've had 4 operations and both hands are shot. Was told that they can't operate anymore. Also have major depression from going through all this.Lost my job due to CTS. Social Security turned me down the first time. Has anyone ever got SSD for this or should I give up after being turned down.

Thanks for your help.

Scott
Scott
Don't give up!! I appled and was turned down 2x's. Get attorney!! It took me 3 and half years..
i have had surgery on both 5x's and completley disabled.
I went to another Doc. after her looking over my medical reports and some testing and taking a good look at the scars from the incisions that they made. She had advise me to get another attorney for malpractice. Something to look into also...To many surgerys causes a lot of scar tissue build up which isnt a good thing at all!
Good luck! Dont give up......you can get ssd and have you check with BWC concerning them firing you?

Old 10-19-2003, 02:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Yep, don't let them bully you around either, get an attorney and keep trying, while you are trying to get them to help, they are trying to bully you into going to work to save their butts money, you or your condition is the least of their worries so be aggressive. You are dealing with government.

Closed Thread