It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2003, 08:07 AM   #1

krmoore HB User
Unhappy Repeat surgery.......3 times hand, both ulnar and median nerves

I have had 2 carpal tunnel release surgeries, 1 median nerve surgery July 21, I still have the same problems I had b/4 surgery. I was off work for 8 weeks with this last surgery and in P/T for 12 weeks, with no relief....the dr. is now thinking of doing a Cubital Tunnel Release of the Ulnar nerve at the elbow. I sleep in splints, take more medication than should be allowed, 1 for pain, 1 to help me sleep, 1 for inflamation and I even took steroids, both orally and by injection. I was wondering if anyone has had this kind of result with their surgery... I have 30 days to make up my mind for the 4th surgery...Not sure how long I can take the pain and hate taking pills.....Any info would be appreciated....Thanks

Old 10-10-2003, 11:38 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lidia09 HB User
Cool

Hi krmoore
Firstly I'm really sorry to hear that you're having such terrible hand problems. I think you should ask lots of questions before going ahead with more surgery. I had cts surgery around 7 years ago (one on each hand) & am now heading for cubital surgery too.

My Carpal problems returned a couple of years ago & several doctors have asked if I wanted referred to a surgeon. Each one has agreed with my reasons for refusing the referral. The surgeon who did my cts surgery told me that repeat surgey was rarely as successful as first. The surgery itself creates scar tissue which can in turn cause compression on the nerve & leave you with worse symptoms than you started off with.

Like you, I wear splints at night & sometimes while I type, do gardening etc. I don't often take pain killers or anti-inflammatory drugs though. I'd recommend 100mg per day of vitamin B6 also Bromelain which is a natural anti-inflammatory. The tablet form is quite expensive but it's also found in fresh pineapple.

If I were you I'd be asking questions about the success rate & how much improvement you could expect from more surgery.

Good luck & best wishes.
Lidia :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2003, 03:13 PM   #3

JohnnyP HB User
You have a tough situation. Mine was not quite that bad, but it was close at times. I can tell you what worked best for me. Get the book "It's not Carpal Tunnel Syndrome". It helped me out more than anything. I suffered to the point of disability for 10 months. After going to 2 neurologists, several General Practice Physicians, Chiropractors, several physical, occupational, and hand therapists, and a psychologist, I was desperate. The book has about 25 stretches, excercises, and nerve glides that really helped out. It also goes over ergonomics, and a ton of other factors that help manage this terrible disease. One thing that is interesting - it explains why surgery sometimes doesn't work, or is temporary. Through this book, and the Grace of God my hand problems are under control and I have my life back. Note Ė I donít doubt that the kinds of doctors can help out a lot, and a person having problems ought to go see them, but I found that the ones I went to just werenít informed although some acted that way. After I was well on my to managing my problem through use of the book, I finally found a hand therapist that had the same approach as the book. He helped solidify what the book was already doing which was good. Good luck to you.

Old 10-18-2003, 05:02 AM   #4
(female)

cheryl1121 HB User
I too have worse pain after open surgery on both hands in August. Two weeks apart. It has gotten so painful now it even hurts to just touch the sides of my fingers. My wrists are very painful and sometimes feels like I have something binding them. This usually happens ten to fifteen times a day, but the pain inself is 24/7. Also terrible pain in neck shoulders, upper arms, lower back, and now my toes go completely numb. I have the feeling the nerves in my hands and wrist have been damaged badly. It is a w/c case and am having a terrible time trying to get MRI approved or more test. Pain has totally taken over my life, no one seems to care though. I would never get another surgery on my hands again. Sometimes I think my doctor did something terribly wrong. My pain is not normal. Hope you find a solution easier than I have.

Old 10-23-2003, 09:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
My hand surgeon severed the ulnar branch do to so much scar tissue from previous surgeries. My wrist feels like it has cactus needles inside whenever it is touched and my ring and pinky feel like sausages with little feeling and alot of *****liness, it's been 5 months and I'm worried it is permanent.

Closed Thread