It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 08:36 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User
Ulnar shortening anyone???

I have had pain in the outside of my wrist for months.
Done physical therapy and worn a brace.
Went to an orthopedist(sp?) who says my ulna is too long and I need surgery to shorten it? HUH?
He says it's tearing the cartilage in my wrist and they can't repair it because the bone would just tear it again.

Has anyone heard of this or had it done???~Mush

Old 08-10-2005, 08:33 AM   #2
(male)

charlodius HB User
Re: Ulnar shortening anyone???

This is called a positive ulnar variance. It is frequently seen following a radial fracture that causes shortening of that bone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

I know. Apparently I was born this way. Because of my job I now have Kienbock's disease and have to have this ulnar shortening done to stop the progression of the disease.

I'm just hoping to find someone out there who's had it done and can tell me about their experience.

We need a general hand board like the foot board. Thanks ~Mush

Old 02-08-2008, 06:35 AM   #4
(female)

henbud04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowftd3 View Post
I have had pain in the outside of my wrist for months.
Done physical therapy and worn a brace.
Went to an orthopedist(sp?) who says my ulna is too long and I need surgery to shorten it? HUH?
He says it's tearing the cartilage in my wrist and they can't repair it because the bone would just tear it again.

Has anyone heard of this or had it done???~Mush

Old 02-08-2008, 06:37 AM   #5
(female)

henbud04 HB User

Yes, I had ulnar shortening in both my hands, it has now been a year. I knew I had to have it for three years and keep putting it off, untill my cartlidge and ligaments all tore. I wore a brace on both hands at the same time. Anyway the surgery is over with I am healed and believe it or not back on the tennis court. I would never have thought I would be playing tennis again. If you have any questions you can contact me...

Old 03-20-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
(female)

brianachik HB User

hi.. i had a tfc tear in my left wrist. also a ganglion cyst removed from the top of my hand. my ortho new that my ulna was longer than it should be,but took the conservative approach and just fixxed the tear,& removed the cyst. i'm still having some pain,but he is saying he thinks i should have the ulna shortened. i was wondering if anyone has had this done, and the post op is like, cast?, if it made the pain go away? thanks..

The following user gives a hug of support to brianachik:
jackn123 (03-15-2011)
Old 03-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
(female)

baboo67 HB User

Hi. I had ulnar shortening surgery in December (2007). So, it hasn't been that long for me. The first 4 days were VERY painful. Other than that, there were days it wasn't too bad and days it was killing me. I had a cast for 4 weeks. I then wore a forearm/wrist splint for 4-6 wks. I went back to work after 6 weeks. I work in an office and use my hands all day doing paperwork. At the end of the day, my wrist really, really hurts. I was wondering what to expect from others who've had this surgery. I'm sure it just takes time.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
(female)

baboo67 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianachik View Post
hi.. i had a tfc tear in my left wrist. also a ganglion cyst removed from the top of my hand. my ortho new that my ulna was longer than it should be,but took the conservative approach and just fixxed the tear,& removed the cyst. i'm still having some pain,but he is saying he thinks i should have the ulna shortened. i was wondering if anyone has had this done, and the post op is like, cast?, if it made the pain go away? thanks..
Hi. I'm now 8 months past my ulnar shortening surgery. Some days are fine. Some days are still really painful. Just today it felt like lightning bolts were shooting through my arm. I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I'm hoping that it'll feel A LOT better by next summer. In the interim, I'll be hoping my right arm holds out. I have the same problem with the right. I'm right handed. I kind of just chalk it up to not having good wrists. Some people say they have bad knees and ankles. I have bad wrists. I do the best I can and move forward. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer and help if I can.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
(male)

PlateNScrews HB User

Henbud, thanks for sharing your experience. I would be interested in knowing how long it took for you to recover from the shortening surgery. I am trying to get an idea of how long I will need to stay away from working out.

Thanks!

Plate'NScrews

Old 09-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #10
(female)

budgiemcdo HB User

Hi,
I had ulnar shortening about 10 weeks ago, the op has helped a lot but think I still need my tfcc repaired, so not back to full strength yet. If anyone wants to know more, I'll be happy to share my experience with you.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #11
(female)

lsker HB User

Hi everyone...I was told several weeks ago by first doc that I had ulnar-sided tendonitis. 2 1/2 weeks ago got 2nd opinion and was told that I have ulnar impaction syndrome in both of my wrists due to my ulna bones being too long in both arms (positive ulnar variance). Talk about my jaw hitting the floor!! They are trying conservative treatments right now...Have long arm spint (just below elbow) on left arm and short splint on right arm and I'm taking anti-inflammatories. My pain right now is mild, but I'm afraid that I'll be much worse if I stop taking the meds and in the future. They said if conservative treatments don't work I'll need both of my ulna bones shortened. I'm so worried....any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I'm going for a third opinion on tuesday...

I hope all of you going through this are doing well...my thoughts are with you...

Old 11-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #12
(female)

budgiemcdo HB User

Hi,
I had my left ulnar shortened about 4 months ago, apart from the first few days after surgery I've not been in much pain, was in lots before. Have lost some strength and range of movement but previous surgery also contributed to this. I was in backslab cast for 2 weeks then a removable splint for 2 weeks, needed some physio. Still having some problems but not as a result of this surgery so I'm pleased with it all.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #13
(female)

brianachik HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboo67 View Post
Hi. I had ulnar shortening surgery in December (2007). So, it hasn't been that long for me. The first 4 days were VERY painful. Other than that, there were days it wasn't too bad and days it was killing me. I had a cast for 4 weeks. I then wore a forearm/wrist splint for 4-6 wks. I went back to work after 6 weeks. I work in an office and use my hands all day doing paperwork. At the end of the day, my wrist really, really hurts. I was wondering what to expect from others who've had this surgery. I'm sure it just takes time.
thank you for sharing.. i didnt get the surgery yet, but the pain is much worse than it was in 3/08, i am going to the dr.'s 2morrow. i am so scared! back to work after 6 weeks wow.. i was thinkimg i would be out for like 5 months.. i do facials and waxxing so its a littli different than office work, but i probably shouldnt be doig that type of work with this condition.. well, how is your wrist feeling now? i appreciate you sharing.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #14
(female)

kymmieb112 HB User

HI,
I am new to this board. I am so happy I have found others with my problem. I have been searching on the net for days, looking for treatments and alternatives to surgery. I have always had wrist pain, thought it was mostly because I have small wrists, and from my jobs which have always been very physical. For the past few years the doctors kept telling me it is arthritis, well found a new doctor, and he ordered x-rays and I honestly did not think anything would show. It did and I found out it is ulnar impaction syndrome. He sent me to a orthopedist, and now he is sending me to a hand surgeon. All the info I 've found recommends surgery and conservative treatments which help temporarily. I've been splinting, ice, warm compresses and pain meds, for years. I am to the point where it is only a temporary fix. I am also at the point where it is difficult to open doors, wash my hands, or wring a towel out, because of the motion required. I was hoping that I would not need surgery, had enough surgeries in my lifetime. I have an appt.for an MRI on 12/14 and appt. for surgeon on 1/06. I am expecting the worse, but hoping for the best. I will post after the results of my MRI.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #15
(female)

lsker HB User

Hi everyone!!

I met with my doctor the past tuesday to review my MRI results. He said they were better than he expected them to be (but I wonder if they would've looked worse with the dye?).

Right wrist: Nonvisualization of the styloid attachment of the TFCC suggesting attachment tear (they didn't seem too worried about this). However, there was no evidence of soft tissue edema in this region. 2mm cyst within central portion of the triquetral bone (they weren't concerned about this and said it was unrelated). Pathologic fluid is noted within the tendon sheaths (tendonitis perhaps?). No bone bruising, no widening of the joints...

Left wrist: No MR evidence of acute abnormality. Simple appearing cyst within the lunate (again they weren't concerned about this).

My right (dominant) wrist has been okay through all of this. It only hurts if I move it a certain way and the pain is mild.

My left wrist was the worst when this all started, so I guess immobilization with the splint and anti-inflammatories calmed this wrist down and made the left MRI look normal...The pinky side of my left wrist was very sore and the ulna head was sticking way out two months ago.

After I had the MRI taken a week ago Monday...I tried to go without the splints (while I was out of the house) and tried to go without the anti-inflammatories for a few days. I did okay for 3 1/2 days, until I did housework, went christmas shopping, lifted the stroller in and out of jeep, pushed the stroller with my 30 pound kido in it for an hour, and wrapped several christmas presents. The left wrist is swollen again now and looks almost the way it did before the splints/meds.

The doctor told me to continue what I'm doing...splinting, rest, ice, activity modification, and anti-inflammatories as needed. He said millions of people have long ulna bones and live with them (however, he said my ulna bones are extra long). He said to make an appointment with him if/when my pain and symptoms worsen. If pain and symptoms worsen, I'll need the surgery.

My pain is mostly mild, but present most of the time when I do not take the anti-inflammatories (voltaren twice a day)...I really don't like taking them...so I'm trying to go a few days off here and there (I also have the anti-inflammatory gel that I'm trying to use instead of the pills)...I'm praying for a miracle and hoping the pain magically disappears at some time...but it my heart I feel this probably isn't going to happen...

Have you ever heard of the wrist widget? http://www.wristwidget.com/

It's for ulnar sided wrist pain and TFCC tears...I might try them...$100 for two, but who knows...I will try anything to avoid surgery!! I have to use them for 12 weeks straight, but I'm very used to splints and braces now!!

I talked with the inventor (certified hand therapist)...she was very informative and explained alot to me!! She thinks the splinting for 4 weeks did help, but 4 weeks wasn't enough to heal the problem completely...she thinks 12 weeks would have...in fact, she said that is how they used to treat these injuries in the past...12 weeks in a cast...before docs performed the ulnar shortening surgeries.

I just can't wait for some closure to this problem...feel like I'm in limbo right now...not bad enough for more tests, injections, and/or surgery.
Not sure what to do...really want to fix the problem and put all of this behind me...but I really worry i could be worse off than I am now if I have the surgery...but I also worry about waiting...I'm not getting any younger...

ugh....sick of thinking about this!!

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Lynne

Closed Thread