It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
(female)

yumi6 HB User
Can very young people develop carpal tunnel snydrome?

My right hand started bothering me when I was 16. Carpal tunnel syndrome is a genetic thing on both sides of my family. My mother has it in both hands and my father has it one. My wrists would bother me the worst. My hands would get swollen and sometimes I couldn't even move my fingers. My mother didn't take me to a doctor though so I had to go myself when it got very painful and my hand became "handicap" temporarly. She didn't think I had anything.

My hand doesn't bother me so much anymore but if I use my right hand too much it starts to hurt a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2005, 04:46 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Miowki HB User
Re: Can very young people develop carpal tunnel snydrome?

Hi Yumi,

I don't think carpel tunnel syndrome is necessarily "genetic" but I do feel it's "congenital", i.e. you're born with it, bit like having bunions on your feet! No one in the family has ever had them but there you are, the first one!

I can remember even as a young kiddy having problems with my wrists and hating it if anyone grabbed me by the wrists when play fighting.

When I was 37 I had them fixed and they've been really good ever since. I'm now 60! The only thing I do is to wear wrist supports if I'm going to do anything a bit strenuous.

Please don't worry about it too much at your young age. If you have continuing problems with your wrists as you get older, there is always the option of surgery, it doesn't hurt a bit. Obviously it will take a few weeks for everything to settle down and after that you'll be totally fine.

Good luck,
Cher

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2005, 07:56 AM   #3
(female)

mbcs HB User
Re: Can very young people develop carpal tunnel snydrome?

My daughter developed CP as a 9 yr old after a trauma to her left wrist!

No dr would touch her but all agreed it was really bad....she is had to "deal" with it...now she is 15yr

Closed Thread