It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2006, 06:40 AM   #1
(male)

bserchuk HB User
***return Of Carpal Tunnel After 3 Years***

I was treated for both carpal and cubital tunnel problems three years ago. I had the surgery and all seemed to go well. Them this past September I began to feel tingling and numbness in my hands. I went to the hand surgeon and was given an EMG, which came back positive for very mild carpal tunnel. I was given cortisone shots, wore splints, but nothing seemed to help. My hand surgeon recommended me to a neurologist, who sent me for an MRI. I forgot the exact diagnosis that she gave me, but she did say something about double crush. I was then given neurontin and prescribed physical therapy for my neck. As of this writing, I've only had two sessions with the physical therapist. I'm also going to a new hand surgeon this week.

Obviously, this is debiltating and troubling. I'm not surgery shy, and if someone recommended another surgery for the carpal tunnel I'd go through
with it tomorrow. I am in a great deal of pain, both physically and psychologically.

The thing that is really annoying me is the fact that the carpal tunnel is back again. If I go through the surgery a second time, will it return again.

I am 55 years old, in excellent shape, an athlete, I jog three times a week and do weights three times a week.

Any insights or observations would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Barnett Serchuk

Old 03-04-2006, 07:45 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User
Re: ***return Of Carpal Tunnel After 3 Years***

If you are having physical therapy for your neck, is that involved with the current problems? Do you have cervical vertebrae pressing on nerves?

Sounds like you can stand Neurontin. It blurred my vision. Does it help?

I haven't had the experience, but have read it is common for carpal tunnel to return especially if you are still doing what caused it in the first place.
I had ct release on my right hand 12 yrs ago. EMG last fall, showed mild carpal tunnel, but my hand feels normal....no tingling or numbness. It has had to double duty at times over the years because of the problems with my left. I'd put ct release off on that hand until last year (Feb 05) and then had complications. Just had an extended ct release on it in Dec 05.

As far as carpal tunnel returning again after another surgery, ask your doctor what their experience has been...have they seen it return after a second surgery. I read on one website, that two ct releases on the same hand were all most surgeons would do. I suppose it depends on how much scarring your body produces?

Last edited by Taimse; 03-04-2006 at 07:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread