It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #1
(female)

anxiouslady HB User
If not Carpal Tunnel then what can it be?

Hello.

About 2 years ago I started having a lot of pain and numbness in my left arm. The forearm swelled about 2 inches above the wrist. Ironically the swollen area was almost like an indent from where I rest my hand while typing on my laptop. I went to the doctor who said it was not carpal tunnel but tendonitis of the arm. She put me on ibuprofen therapy for 3 months which accomplished nothing more than giving me an ulcer.

Well over the last 2 years i've continued to have issues with my arm and hand. Both the forearm near the wrist and hand get numb and tingly. The joints of my fingers ache, especially upon waking and before bed. If bend my elbow and prop it up on a hard surface I get a radiating pain/tingly sensation that runs up my forearm to my hand. I occassionally have pain in the upper arm along the outer part. I also have muscle weakness and find it hard to grip objects between my fingers. I've read that carpal tunnel does not affect the pinky finger. I do get numbness and pain in the pinky finger as well as the other ones. If this isn't carpal tunnel then what could it be? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I'm just at a loss on what it could be or where to look for more information.
Thank you!
anxiouslady

Old 04-13-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

young momma HB User
Re: If not Carpal Tunnel then what can it be?

Have you had a back or neck injury? I was just wondering because it sounds kinda like what use to happen to my hubby. It does also sound similar to tendonitis. I have it but it is just in my wrist and hand from cutting hair. I was glad to hear it wasn't carpal tunnel but it still hurts off and on and it's been 8 years now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
(female)

GI Jane HB User

Well i have something called Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. Its very similar!

Old 04-14-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
(female)

anxiouslady HB User

Hi Guys,

Young Momma, I had a neck injury as a child 20 years ago or so. I still get stiff necks from it but thats about it. What you said about your wrist and hand hurting on and off is just like what I go through with mine. Somedays its okay. Others its agonizing.

GI Jane, thank you so much for your post and telling me about Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. I never heard of it before and did a search after reading your post. It sounds just like what is going on with my arm and hand. The info I read said that most people with it tend to sleep with their arms bent and/or bent above the head. Thats exactly what I do.

Anyways, thank you both for posting. Your information has been a ton of help! Take care!

anxiouslady

Old 04-15-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
(female)

GI Jane HB User

Glad I could be of some help AL! I hope you get it sorted. I am on a waiting list to be seen about mine.

Closed Thread