It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2006, 09:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User
Nerve In Wrist-Middle Finger Jumps

I never thought I would find myself in this forum, but I have been having for four days now, a nerve jump in the middle finger of my right hand and also feel it at the same time, in my wrist.

The p.a. told me it is not carpal tunnel, just a nerve spasm that should go away. Well, it hasn't yet! There is no pain at all.

Three years ago, a neurologist told me I do have carpal tunnel after doing a velocity test or something where tiny shocks of electricity or put into parts of the arm to check for reaction and resistance. The only symptoms I have that might be considered carpal tunnel, is I will wake during the night sometimes, with the last three fingers of my hands asleep. This is only because they are bent during sleep.

He also told me using the computer didn't cause the nerve twitches. It just suddenly started last week. I do have facial nerve jumps sometimes, and have had off and on for years. He said I need to keep my folic acid up and vitamins that benefit nerves.

Has anyone ever had these symptoms, and if so, does it ever settle down? It isn't too often, but if I sit or lie still a few seconds, there it is! Still doing it.

Thanks~

Old 04-22-2006, 03:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User
Re: Nerve In Wrist-Middle Finger Jumps

Anxiety...go to [url]www.handuniverity.com/topics.asp[/url]
check out Guyon's canal Syndrome. Does this seem to be similar to some of your symptoms?
as for the twitching and spasms...my chiropractor said it was from muscles being tired. I had twitching and spasms on forearm. Could really see it. He also said to get some more potassium and magnesium in diet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Hello, Taimse-
Thanks for coming back to us.

Did yours finally go away? I forgot to mention that the assistant also said to get plenty of folic acid, believe it was, vitamins, etc. I've been worried that I've been on the computer mouse too much, playing games, etc. It's seemed a little less this afternoon, but it sure has depressed me, like "I'm going to have this forever!" Hopefully not, though. I'll go check that site now.

Thanks again-

Old 04-22-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Well, I checked it, and I don't have the other symptoms--just the twitch every now and then. I am discouraged because it had gotten better this afternoon, but after being at the mouse for a while here, I'm having it again. The Dr. didn't say computer did it at all--even said "No way!" I don't get it.

Old 04-22-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User

Anxiety Man....It probably is from working with the mouse. Sure would convince me if it occured after working with mouse. I wonder if a second opinion might give you a better answer as to what might be going on?
The vitamins shouldn't hurt.

The twitch I had in forearm occured mainly after working mouse a lot. I forgot to mention, my chiropractor ( who used to be an athletic trainer) said to get some 5 pound dumbells and do curls. It helped...yes, it went away. I have no idea what one would do with a twitching finger( finger curls?....LOL) I work with mouse now, as much as I was doing before and don't have any reoccurances....but I also did cortisone via iontopheresis for tennis elbow, so they may have helped keep it at bay?

Old 04-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Hello, again, Taimse. Good to meet you.
Well, that sure is a depressing thought, in fact, I've been very depressed all day due to this. Here I've been mousing for 6 years or so, and never had a problem like this before. I'm hoping it is like an eyelid twitch. I had one of those a while back, and seems it lasted for weeks, then finally went away. Maybe it will just take time and fade away. I was fine one day, then last Wed., there it was.

I'm glad for you, that it went away, and for me, because it does give me encouragement to actually smile again, and that things will be okay again before long, maybe. I've ran my wife crazy whining today with it! Actually, it is better than Wed. At the onset, it would jerk real big, and when I rested my hand on my leg or the arm of the couch, it would actually feel like mild vibrations in it! I told the doc all of this.
If it continues, I would like to see an orthopedist, and there is one here who does carpal tunnel and other stuff.

I would like to try magnesium, but was told that magnesium citrate is best because the oxide kind is watered down. I read where it can act on the bowels strongly and cause "activity", but the p.a. said it wouldn't hurt to take it. I also have spells of my face muscles jumping--have had that for years. Oddly, my face is calm now! Also, I have had problems off and on with inner ear muscle spasms (tensor muscle spasms) which can cause a boom sound. I guess I'm wired jumpy all over! The lady on the other board told me about curing her inner ear spasms with the mag citrate.

I had a vitamin to worsen the ear stuff--really made it bad--Centrum Silver! Who would think that! But, it sure did. I stopped it and the spasms stopped. So, I'm awfully nervous about trying anything new, no matter what. I may go for the magnesium anyway. Sorry this is so long, but I've been so upset about this, I just talk about it a lot.

Old 04-22-2006, 05:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

I forgot to mention that the jumps aren't constant, but I get a mild one every few minutes or at it's worst, around a minute apart-not a constant thing.

Old 04-22-2006, 10:06 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User

Anxiety Man. So sorry this is a seemingly ongoing thing. And when that happens, one can get depressed. I had a hellish year last year after ct release. Complications. I had another surgery last Dec. where it was discovered the surgeon had nicked the nerve doing the ct release in Feb of 2005. It is better, but will never be 100%. I am currently taking amitriptyline for nerve pain and Lexapro for the depression. I no longer feel like cutting my hand off or hitting it with a hammer. And I can touch paper without a glove on, so I got to play catch up with business paperwork and filing before tax time deadline.

As for the magnesium....my chiro says that magnesium glycinate is probably the best, though the bottle of vitamins/minerals I got from him has Magnesium listed as bis-glycinate and magnesium citrate.
I was taking a different vitamin for awhile....one that was supposed to have been formulated for my deficiencies, but it didn't seem to help as much as the one I was getting from my chiro...so I got some more from him last week.

when I had eyelid twitching in the past, vitamin B's were recommended.

the way you describe your finger problem...it sounds like how people describe restless leg syndrome. the sudden twitching...tingling/low buzz/vibrations
Sorry I can't be of much more help. I hope you find out what is wrong and it has a simple cure.

Old 04-23-2006, 07:10 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Hello again- Well, I thought I was going to have to do something last night that would not have been good!! My nerves are shot from this. I feel extremely hopeless and like my life is over, as far as quality goes. I nearly didn't sleep last night. It seems to let up where I can sleep which may be a ray of hope. If I don't go to the e.r. today, and it is still on me in the a.m., which I feel it will be, I will call my dr's office and tell them this gets fixed or something "permanent" is going to occur.

I do have something that I should try called Cerefolin. I was given that to help with facial spasms and it seemed to. The reason I'm afraid to try it is if it doesn't stop this, I will probably go over the edge. I'm sorry for my bad post, but it's how I feel.

Thanks for talking to me. It has helped.

Old 04-23-2006, 07:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

I forgot to say, so wrapped up in myself, that I'm sorry you have been through so much. I hope things improve for you as well.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:42 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User

Anxiety Man....know what you mean about permanent solutions.....
I was ready to do something drastic too, when the second opinion doctor at the world famous Mayo clinic told me to go home and live with my problem. Told me my problem was carpal tunnel syndrome and that it was old nerve pain...that the surgery in Feb didn't cause my problem. Told me the pain was in my head. Boy, was he wrong!!!! And I wouldn't have found that out if I had believed him or given up. Thought my life was over then too....and a lot of it was for a time. Please hang in there....and if it is too much to to the ER to be safe. ( I did end up at ER because I started crying in my primary doctor's office on a check up and told her of my inclinations when she asked how I was coping...not very well. I saw a therapist for awhile)

I did a quick internet search for finger twitching.....most sites I looked at indicated one should see a neurologist. Doesn't mean it is something bad, just that a neurologist might be the best person to do investigating to find out what is going on.

Old 04-23-2006, 03:03 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

A neurologist is who told me I have carpal tunnel then told me to find a surgeon.

That's why I will call one in the a.m. if this is still on me, and it looks it may be. I've never had a nerve twitch that didn't eventually settle. I've had them for years in my face, ears, you name it, and they always have settled. Maybe this will too.

I checked out Magnesium citrate and the woman at the store told me to be careful and not take too much, but the lowest mg. I could find was 200--too much, I'm afraid.
I just gave up and walked out.

Old 04-23-2006, 03:30 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User

What mg of Magnesium citrate were you looking for?
If 100, couldn't you cut them in half? I have 250 mg per serving listed on my bottle of multivitamins/minerals, but that is for six tablets. I take three per day according to my chiro's directions. Supplement I take is Multigenics brand.

BTW....do you drink a lot of coffee?

Old 04-23-2006, 05:00 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

These were capsules, and couldn't be cut. They had some powder, but after what the clerk said, I was afraid of that too. I'm so exhausted from my nerves, I wonder now if it was doing this in my sleep? I thought it was quitting to where I could sleep, but I'm out on my feet. I was looking for 100mg.

I thought I had strained my hand last week, reason for this to start--felt like a strain, but I don't know what has caused this.

I never did get a taste for coffee. Never drink it or anything with caffiene. We did order hamburgers with tea one day last week, but any caffiene in the tea should have worn off by night.

The brand of these supplements was "NOW".

Old 04-23-2006, 05:11 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Well, I just read some discouraging news on another board I've been telling all this.

I kind of hurt my elbow last winter lifting a heavy container. I've had it to hurt at times, but it has been better lately. This lady who is a nurse said this all sounds like the elbow is causing it, and my only recourse might be to have surgery! That sure made me feel good! I notice it does kind of pop when I bend it. I have forgotten to tell the doctor every time I see him because it has been doing better when I'd go in.

Closed Thread