It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2006, 06:29 AM   #1
(female)

msmona HB User
Hands and arm numbness, severe pain

Hello again I am new to this board, have many threads on the back board since I had my surgery on my lumbar this year. My question to any of you and if you could please share your opinions or experiences. I have been in some really bad night time pains in my arms and hands it wakes me up and it is SEVERE I have been taking neurontin for the symtoms from my burning in leg also and I thougth it would help the hands too but it seems like it is getting worse. I was diagnosed 10 years ago with carpal tunnel and dequervains syndrome and I think this is my problem today. Last nite I had to get out of bed and shake my arms and hands the burning was so bad and the pain, In the morning I wake up my hands are really sore, sometimes I cant hold onto the telephone. As I know I have arthritis in my body I am wondering with all this pain going on if that is what I have, Its frustrating and the pain goes up my arm and my right shoulder and underneath my right rib feels like someone punched me there, When I take a deep breath my rib cage kills me on the right side. It seems like my whole right side of my body is causing me so much pain and burning. I dont know if my surgery triggered all this into play or what is going on. I had a mri of the neck and doctor said it was fine and I look at him like well no it is not fine because the pain is so bad in these areas of my body that I think sometimes they look at it like its all in our heads.

I can vouch for anyone who has had chronic arm and wrist pain that it indeed is quite hard to get a good nites sleep when it wakes you up and you feel some bugs or something is laying heavy on your hands, Sometimes my hands turn hard as a rock, and then I wake up and have to hit them several times and shake them to wake them up, its horrible. So enough of me allready but if you have any suggestions, I do have splints, they seem to make it worse and I do take like I said neurontin, vicodin, flexeril, and I am not getting any pain relief from any of this stuff. Tomorrow I start the aqua therapy I hope that helps it all. Thanks for reading!!

Msmona

The Following User Says Thank You to msmona For This Useful Post:
whataclutts (12-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2006, 07:27 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User
Re: Hands and arm numbness, severe pain

I have experienced pain at trying to take a breath....usually it is a rib vertebrae that needs adjusting.

Sometimes it could be pleurisy.......

See your doctor about the hand and arm pain. An EMG can be as one of tests to see if nerves are being compressed at wrist area....can also tell if they are being compressed higher up. Perhaps do a search too, for thorasic outlet syndrome and see if those symptoms fit.

Good luck and sorry you are in pain and having the problems you are. I had to switch from Neurontin (because of blurred vision) to amytriptyline.
Thank goodness ibuprofen helps with pain so I dont' have to take anything stronger and have used flexeril too...but yoga stretching helps with some of the things I was using it for.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:26 AM   #3
(female)

msmona HB User

Thanks Tami for writing. I cant sleep with all thisburning and pains going on between my fusion surgery I had in January my whole spine hurts and then my wrists and hand and arms get really bad at nite and in the morning they are really sore, Unfortunely I cant take any NSAIS because of the fusion so its hard and this neuronitn and lyrica I dont think its doing anything for me now, been on it almost a month..but I stay hopeful.
I start my aqua therapy this week for my back maybe that will help my hands I dont know. The doctor states in his report something about tinels sign? you know what that is? As you see I am up on this darn computer because Icant sleep so here I am and not too many people visit this site compared to the back board but I do enjoy reading all the posts. Thanks again and look forward to hearing from you again

Msmona

Old 05-04-2006, 03:21 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User

msmona. Tinel's sign is when doctor ( or anyone) taps you over the median nerve at wrist area and you experience tingling or even sharp shocklike sensations. Mine were shock like.

Check out some of the information websites in the archives listed at top of topic page.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
(male)

bigscrilla HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmona
Hello again I am new to this board, have many threads on the back board since I had my surgery on my lumbar this year. My question to any of you and if you could please share your opinions or experiences. I have been in some really bad night time pains in my arms and hands it wakes me up and it is SEVERE I have been taking neurontin for the symtoms from my burning in leg also and I thougth it would help the hands too but it seems like it is getting worse. I was diagnosed 10 years ago with carpal tunnel and dequervains syndrome and I think this is my problem today. Last nite I had to get out of bed and shake my arms and hands the burning was so bad and the pain, In the morning I wake up my hands are really sore, sometimes I cant hold onto the telephone. As I know I have arthritis in my body I am wondering with all this pain going on if that is what I have, Its frustrating and the pain goes up my arm and my right shoulder and underneath my right rib feels like someone punched me there, When I take a deep breath my rib cage kills me on the right side. It seems like my whole right side of my body is causing me so much pain and burning. I dont know if my surgery triggered all this into play or what is going on. I had a mri of the neck and doctor said it was fine and I look at him like well no it is not fine because the pain is so bad in these areas of my body that I think sometimes they look at it like its all in our heads.

I can vouch for anyone who has had chronic arm and wrist pain that it indeed is quite hard to get a good nites sleep when it wakes you up and you feel some bugs or something is laying heavy on your hands, Sometimes my hands turn hard as a rock, and then I wake up and have to hit them several times and shake them to wake them up, its horrible. So enough of me allready but if you have any suggestions, I do have splints, they seem to make it worse and I do take like I said neurontin, vicodin, flexeril, and I am not getting any pain relief from any of this stuff. Tomorrow I start the aqua therapy I hope that helps it all. Thanks for reading!!

Msmona

I have chest, upper back, neck, arm, pain and a numb wrist on my right side of my body. I have been seeing numerous different doctors for at least the last six months. the wrist and situation has started withing the last month. I have still not been diagnosed. They will not give me anything for the pain anymore they just keep telling me to take anti inflamatory. The pain dr. now has me on neurontin and i cant take that anymore because as soon as i started to take that my hands started to get numb or almost like the feeling when your foot falls asleep and you feel the *****s in your hands. i am in pain everyday and most of my pain comes from my neck and back which radiates from chest to arm and hand on my right side. I cant take it any more i just want to cut the right side of my chest to arm off. they treat me as if i am an addict for wanting pain relief and they just don't understand what i am going through. does any one have an answer for me.

bigscrilla

Old 05-31-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User

bigscrilla. Have you had an EMG? Nerve conduction test at all? Neck MRI?
Have you tried a chiropractor? Acupunturist?

I think one of the side effects of neurontin can be the numbness or tingling. I can't take it because it caused blurred vision. I am currently taking amitriptyline.

Are you seeing a pain management doctor? Just wondering if a regional or stellar block might help?

Old 08-10-2006, 12:16 PM   #7
(female)

JENT1971 HB User

I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PAIN, RIGHT DOWN TO THE RIB PAIN. DOCTORS HAVE NOT COME UP WITH A DIAGNOSIS YET. I ALSO HAD XRAYS OF MY NECK/CERVICAL RIB & ALL CAME BACK NORMAL. AN EMG SHOWED SLIGHT CARPAL TUNNEL IN MY RIGHT SIDE A FEW MONTHS BACK, BUT WAS TOLD BY A HAND SURGEON (JUST YESTERDAY) THAT CPS WOULD NOT CAUSE THAT SEVERE OF PAIN UP MY ARM & INTO MY SHOULDER/SHOULDER BLADES. IT NOW HAS STARTED ON MY LEFT. I SWITCHED DOCTORS A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO BECAUSE MY OLD MD WOULD NOT PRESCRIBE PAIN MEDICATION. AND IF YOU EXPERIENCE THE SAME PAIN, YOU KNOW THE SEVERITY OF IT. YOU STATED YOU COULD NOT HOLD A PHONE; I HAD TO HAVE MY 8YR OLD TIE MY SHOES. HORRIBLE PAIN!! I JUST GOT A CORTISONE SHOT IN MY WRIST YESTERDAY AND I AM WAITING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS. SO FAR, IM JUST EXPERIENCING MORE PAIN. I HAVE BEEN OVER THE INTERNET SO MANY TIMES & REALLY THOUGHT THAT WHEN I CAME ACROSS THE PINCHED NERVE THING, THAT IT HAD TO BE IT. BUT AS FAR AS THE XRAYS SAY - NOT THAT EITHER. IM STARTING TO GET VERY DISCOURAGED AGAIN. ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO I WAS PUT ON AN ANTI-DEPRESSANT D/T DEPRESSION FROM LIVING W/PAIN DAILY. MY MD DOES GIVE ME PAIN MEDICATION, BUT IM STILL DEPRESSED. I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS CAUSING ALL OF THIS.

SOMETHING I AM DEEPLY CONCERNED ABOUT NOW, THOUGH, IS A POSSIBLE TUMOR. TUMORS PRESSING ON BRACHIAL NERVES AND NERVES IN THE SPINAL AREA CAN CAUSE THIS SAME TYPE OF PAIN. AND NOW THAT I IT'S ON MY LEFT SIDE AS WELL, IT KINDA SCARES ME. I'M GOING TO SUGGEST THIS TO MY MD AND HOPE FOR THE BEST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmona

Msmona

Last edited by JENT1971; 08-10-2006 at 12:20 PM.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #8
(female)

JENT1971 HB User

Find A New Md!!! Same Thing Happened With Me. Advil Does Nothing. Tylenol Does Nothing. My Old Doctor Kept Refusing Stronger Pain Meds. I Switched Doctors When He Called In Ibuprofen 800mg And A Medrol Dose Pack. I Am Extremely Fortunate To Have A Very Good Friend That Is A Nurse For The Md That I Got To Now!! At One Point My New Md Had Me On Percocet. I Asked To Switch To Vicodin Es (i Was Afraid I'd Get Too Hooked, I've Got An Addictive Personality, Not That Es's Are Probably Much Better - But Anyway). It Is A Doctor's Duty And Moral Obligation To Make Sure His Patients Are Comfortable.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENT1971
I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PAIN, RIGHT DOWN TO THE RIB PAIN. DOCTORS HAVE NOT COME UP WITH A DIAGNOSIS YET. I ALSO HAD XRAYS OF MY NECK/CERVICAL RIB & ALL CAME BACK NORMAL. AN EMG SHOWED SLIGHT CARPAL TUNNEL IN MY RIGHT SIDE A FEW MONTHS BACK, BUT WAS TOLD BY A HAND SURGEON (JUST YESTERDAY) THAT CPS WOULD NOT CAUSE THAT SEVERE OF PAIN UP MY ARM & INTO MY SHOULDER/SHOULDER BLADES. IT NOW HAS STARTED ON MY LEFT. I SWITCHED DOCTORS A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO BECAUSE MY OLD MD WOULD NOT PRESCRIBE PAIN MEDICATION. AND IF YOU EXPERIENCE THE SAME PAIN, YOU KNOW THE SEVERITY OF IT. YOU STATED YOU COULD NOT HOLD A PHONE; I HAD TO HAVE MY 8YR OLD TIE MY SHOES. HORRIBLE PAIN!! I JUST GOT A CORTISONE SHOT IN MY WRIST YESTERDAY AND I AM WAITING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS. SO FAR, IM JUST EXPERIENCING MORE PAIN. I HAVE BEEN OVER THE INTERNET SO MANY TIMES & REALLY THOUGHT THAT WHEN I CAME ACROSS THE PINCHED NERVE THING, THAT IT HAD TO BE IT. BUT AS FAR AS THE XRAYS SAY - NOT THAT EITHER. IM STARTING TO GET VERY DISCOURAGED AGAIN. ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO I WAS PUT ON AN ANTI-DEPRESSANT D/T DEPRESSION FROM LIVING W/PAIN DAILY. MY MD DOES GIVE ME PAIN MEDICATION, BUT IM STILL DEPRESSED. I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS CAUSING ALL OF THIS.

SOMETHING I AM DEEPLY CONCERNED ABOUT NOW, THOUGH, IS A POSSIBLE TUMOR. TUMORS PRESSING ON BRACHIAL NERVES AND NERVES IN THE SPINAL AREA CAN CAUSE THIS SAME TYPE OF PAIN. AND NOW THAT I IT'S ON MY LEFT SIDE AS WELL, IT KINDA SCARES ME. I'M GOING TO SUGGEST THIS TO MY MD AND HOPE FOR THE BEST.
an x-ray will NOT show if a nerve is pinched. You need to get an EMG/NCV done.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:55 PM   #10
(female)

Ciderredgirl HB User

Hello, I had just been diagnosed with CTS in my left hand. I must admit I hadn't heard of it before. I thought I was losing a grip on reality, the pain has been very severe, it started as numbness in my hand, but then very rapidly has gone up my left arm and into my shoulder, burning, numbness, and sometimes acute pain, making simple every day tasks a nightmare. It's just so reasuring to know that your not alone, and that I'm not imaging the symtoms, as daft as that may sound, I hadn't realised how painful or restricting a condition it could be. Every thing that you have mentioned it your posts I can relate to! I'm so glad that I've found this site and can speak to people going through the same as me!

Kind regards

Ciderredgirl

Old 08-14-2006, 06:35 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User

Cinder,
I have had cts surgery & it's coming back. What my doctor also told me is this--the area where your colarbone & brastrap come together--if you have pain there that where the median nerve goes once it's out of your arm area and, that's still part of cts. I dropped one thing every day in the 2-3 months leading up to my surgery. I think I waited too long to have it done. My hands were actually starting to feel better this past March until I helped my husband move a bathtub when we remodeled. I should have never done it, but no one else was here to help him. My cts has been getting worse ever since. I'm back to wearing my brace to drive. For me cts was worse when I drove. It felt like someone would shove me. That's how it was when my arms fell asleep. Then I would go into a panic attack. I had to pull over and calm myself down. It got to where I only did small roads. This past March I found I could drive some, but not for any length of time. Now I do things that only take a short drive to do. I hate it. My husband just doesn't understand. He thinks I am "talking myself into having cts again". I'm just facing reality.
--Jo

Closed Thread