It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
(female)

canadianmom HB User
carpol tunnel cause whole arm pain?

For about a month now I have been having whole arm pain. It increasinly has gotten worse. I did visit my GP on Friday who loosely dx it as a tendonitis. She put me on anti inflammatories and I am having xrays and ultrasound on Monday. I do spend a fair amount on this computer so I thought of CT but can that cause the whole arm to throb and ache? I've actually had a bit of swelling in the forearm also. Does anyone know if I will be able to get correct dx from the tests being run on Mon? This pain is horriable and actually a bit scary. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User
Re: carpol tunnel cause whole arm pain?

Canadianmom,
A test for carpal tunnel (cts) is an emg. What they do is put those sticky tapes with wires on them on your arm in various places and then press things on a machine. You see your fingers fly up without doing it on your own. It's kinda funny. Also they take what looks like accupuncture needles and try them out in different parts of your arm. Ok, I know that sounds painful. IT depends on where they place them. When they put them on my arm about 5 inches from my wrist it hurt. But...when they placed them on the back of my hand I felt Nothing! I had cts in both hands and had surgery for them. What you are describing could be cts but it could also be tendonitis or even repetitive strain injury. That involves the muscles, tendons, etc. Also I didn't know it until I researched online but cts is a form of arthritis.
--Jo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
(female)

MaRiE_010 HB User

for me it started out as pain and alittle numbness by my pinky (on my left hand) and it shot down my hand, stopping alittle past my wrist. i would flex my hands and feel like it was stretching but it felt...odd. i'm sorry i'm not to good at explaining things. sometimes my hands would cramp and stay in a hunched over position. it was really strange at first. then my school nurse told me that i might have CT...later after i was diagnosed with it, my pain went a little higer. the pain shot up my arms and would normally stop at my elbow, but then other times it would go all the way up to my shoulder. there wasn't much shoulder pain, and it didn't hurt that bad, but it was there all right. i also had swelling in my forearms...so0o, but the sounds of it, honey you might have CTS....sorry

Old 10-10-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
(female)

needaplan HB User

You might also want to consider two other things: radial tunnel entrapment, and cubital tunnel syndrome. The radial tunnel nerve might be what is affecting your forearm. The ulnar nerve runs across the back of your elbow (the "funny bone" nerve), down the underside of your arm, and into your pinky and ring fingers.

My symptoms sound so similar to yours. My entire arm (usually from the elbow down) was/is involved, usually ending in my pinky/ring fingers. I had radial tunnel release surgery in June, and am coming up on ulnar nerve transposition surgery in November. My nerve test came back positive (meaning that there is substantial nerve involvement) for the ulnar nerve, but only after the needle version of the test (that sounds bad, but it isn't).

The test came back negative on CTS.

You might want to bring this up with your MD -- and get to an orthopaedist, preferably one that specializes in hands/arms.

Good luck!

Old 10-13-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
(female)

littlevicky464 HB User

I agree that your symptoms do sound like CTS. I suffered pain in my wrist and a kind of twanging in my lower arm. After a couple of weeks my doctor sent me for an x-ray which came back clear and then I was referred to the orthopaedic department of my local NHS hospital. They gave me a steroid injection in my wrist which gave me some relief for a week or so but then the pain was worse then before and my wrist was very weak. Returned to the hospital a month later and the consultant said that I could continue with the injections or have my carpal band cut as the pain and funny sensations I was experiencing in my wrist and arm was due to the median nerve being squeezed . He was able to make my whole hand go numb through pressing gently on my wrist and although I have never had the electric test I was diagnosed with a form of CTS- that was in June. My problems have worsened and I now have intermittent loss of feeling in the top of my middle finger. I am due to receive a letter any day now with a date for my pre-op assessment and hopefully I should have carpal release surgery a few weeks later. Don't be put off from having the surgery as the problems only worsen with time. I wish you lots of luck.

Closed Thread