It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
(female)

marze HB User
numbness in fingers after surgery

I had the ulnar transposition surgery about a month in a half ago and i know it will take time before i have full use of my hand and ellbow. My question is has anyone who has had this surgery when did the numbness in your ring finger and pinky completly go away. I am still having numbness in a little in the ring finger and in the pinky is mostly numb and numb up to the wrist. Am still getting pain at the begining of the incision and also at the bending of the ellbow. I do not go back to the drs till the end of the month. Can anyone tell me if these are normal.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
(male)

Koot HB User
Re: numbness in fingers after surgery

I still have a slight numbness and the pins and needles sensation in my little finger, half the ring finger and my palm pad. However, this sensation is very subdued now a month after my surgery on August 29th. Each day it seems the slight sensation melts away further.

I have never had any real pain in my elbow. My incision was tender, but that's pretty much gone away now. (I was taking full swings hitting golf balls just two weeks after my surgery.)

Note: one thing my doctor did was not to put my arm in a sling as he usually does, and which is most common to have done. I know (pre-op) my doctor had me fitted for a sling and two ice packs, but elected not to use them after he did the surgery. I have not asked my doctor yet why he elected to put my arm in a straight position (probably 20 degrees) in lieu of the common (90 degrees) sling position. Also, I do not know why he did not want me to use the ice packs he wanted me to get (pre-op), which he returned to the RX departemt along with the sling. I was surprised when I came out of the anesthesia to find my arm was not in a sling. Maybe it had something to do with me making it very clear to my doctor that I wanted to be able to play golf and the preservation of my forearm muscles, etc. was important to me. I really do not know why my arm was not in a sling.

Koot

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 05:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

marze-

I'm hoping that your tingling will go away with time. You might ask your doctor to prescribe you Topamax ($$$$) or Amitriptyline ($). Both meds can help with the tingling. Ami's non generic name is Elavil.

My surgeon thinks I may have just bruised my ulnar nerve, so he's treating me conservatively with Ami. I got a 30 day supply for about $3.00.

Hope things go well for you.

wb

Old 10-03-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lidia09 HB User
Cool Re: numbness in fingers after surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koot
Note: one thing my doctor did was not to put my arm in a sling as he usually does, and which is most common to have done. I know (pre-op) my doctor had me fitted for a sling and two ice packs, but elected not to use them after he did the surgery. I have not asked my doctor yet why he elected to put my arm in a straight position (probably 20 degrees) in lieu of the common (90 degrees) sling position. Also, I do not know why he did not want me to use the ice packs he wanted me to get (pre-op), which he returned to the RX departemt along with the sling. I was surprised when I came out of the anesthesia to find my arm was not in a sling. Maybe it had something to do with me making it very clear to my doctor that I wanted to be able to play golf and the preservation of my forearm muscles, etc. was important to me. I really do not know why my arm was not in a sling.

Koot
Hi Koot
I'm in Scotland & had ulnar nerve transposition done 5 days ago. Over here, they're not into slings, icepacks, physiotherapy & stuff & I believe it's the right way to go. For the last 5 days I've had a large padded bandage on, like you, my arm was probably at around the 20 degrees angle. The bandage slid down a few times so I took it off & reapplied it myself. In between times I washed the arm (but not the incision) & gently bent/straightened my arm a few times. Today, the bandage came off & I just have a small dressing covering the incision. I can straighten my arm no problems & touch my nose with my fingers so it bends ok too. The nurse said that it's fine to go in the shower & wash the incision, dry & apply a dressing.

I've also had CTS surgery & no bandage after a few days. I'm convinced that all these cast applications & slings actually leads to more problems. The 2 surgeons I've had agree that physio just isn't necessary & I think they're right. I've never heard ice recommended over here either. I've read posts where people have put ice packs on top of bulky dressings. Never could figure out how that one worked

I haven't got any stitches or staples to come out either. The incision looks like it was glued together - healing nicely too!

Lidia

Last edited by lidia09; 10-03-2006 at 11:19 AM.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:44 PM   #5
(male)

Koot HB User

Lidia,

Cool! I appreciate the info on how our friends in the UK do it.

Wishing you a full recovery...

Koot

Old 10-05-2006, 12:34 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lidia09 HB User
Cool Re: numbness in fingers after surgery

Thanks Koot

The surgeon who did it was an Australian who had also spent time working in Canada so I guess he'll have seen a variety of post-op methods along the way & hopefully chosen what he's seen to work best

Good luck to you too

Old 10-05-2006, 11:37 PM   #7
(female)

fastcar24 HB User

Wondering...is the pain normally worse when the surgery when it's in the hand instead of the elbow? Just got my hand done and I'm having a heck of a time with it.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
(female)

marze HB User

not sure if it is worse in the hand than the ellbow but my pain is comming back as well

Closed Thread