It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

NikonKid HB User
Exclamation Carpal Tunnel and RSD

After what I have been thorugh in the past two years I felt the need to share my experience. I was told I had bilateral carpal tunnel January 2005, was told I needed the surgery then but due to work concerns opted to put it off for a year and a half. In the meantime I splinted and had cortisone injections at the ortho office. The injections were painful going in and had to always take a couple of days off from work after getting them. My hands would be sensitive to touch and feel like the bones were broken. Doctor told me it was "normal" to have pain after injections.
Long story short had carpal tunnel release in July 2006, I've been on disability since. I have now been diagnosed with RSD and the only option left besides medications is the spinal cord stimulator. Not sure which came first carpal tunnel or RSD but surgery is at the top of the cause list and will aggravate RSD if you already have it.
You can find alot of information on RSD and it's connection to carpal tunnel by putting it in a search engine of your choice. The good thing is if it's caught early there is a good chance of putting it into remission.
I would hate to see anyone go through this....if your pain is greater than expected or having trouble recouping after surgery please look into this....I had never heard of RSD until my Physical Therapist told me about it.
Hoping for pain free days for all
Jeanne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User
Re: Carpal Tunnel and RSD

Jeanne,
That's what I'm worried about now. I had cts release on both hands in July and October 2005. Then I helped my husband remodel a bathroom. I shouldn't have tried to help move a bathtub, shower doors, etc. They were too heavy. I did this in April 2006, less than a year after my surgeries. Now I have pain and shooting feelings in my fingers and hands. I think my nerves are sending signals into places they never used to. I can't drive more than about 3 miles and I am now wondering if I should have more surgery. Of course one thing I have to do is go see a new doctor. We are no longer with the same insurance as we had been. But I'm almost 50 and I could live another 40 years and with my hands this way I can't function. I worry if I have to drive any length of time.
--Jo

Old 01-31-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

NikonKid HB User

Jo
Have you done any research on RSD? The internet was the first place I finally found some answers. I also was in the middle of an insurance change which actually ended up being a blessing. New doctors with new ideas, my ortho kept telling me I just needed more time to heal from the surgery but I know my body and knew it wasn't right.
I now have a neurologist and pain mangement doctor, they both confirmed RSD the first time I saw them and started treating me aggressively. I had my first nerve blocks within a week. Unfortunately my RSD is Sympathetically Independent so the blocks didn't work. Now on meds to help with pain, I'm not ready to get the spinal cord stimulator. I have read to many mixed reviews with it's treatment as far as RSD is concerned.
Before you consider surgery make sure RSD is not what you are dealing with.....any type of surgery can cause the RSD to spread to that area of your body. Ice is a big no no for treating RSD too. So stay with warm therapy until you know for sure what you're dealing with
I've kind of rambled on here....I hope you can get some answers soon and find some pain free days
Jeanne

Old 02-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
(female)

HURTEN HB User

What Is Rsd? I Too Am Having A Problem With Pain But I Am Afraid Ofany More Surgery Or More Meds I Am Also Out On Disability Every Time I Go Back To Work I Suffer With Pain And Have To Go Out On Leave Again. I Go To Ortho Once A Month And Pain Mngt Once A Month On Meds I Also Had 24 Sessions Of P/t Which Gave Me Morepain And I Get A Bad Reaction From The Meds.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

NikonKid HB User

Hurten
I found out I had RSD when I was going to physical therapy after my surgeries...I had a lot of pain and then started to sweat in my right palm. I mentioned the sweating to my PT and she said sounds like you have RSD. I immediately went home and did a google search on it. As soon as I read the description it answered everything I was going through.
Basically your sympathetic nerve system goes haywire after an injury or surgery (carpal tunnel surgery being on the top of many lists)We can't post websites here but if you just type RSD into a search engine you'll come up with a lot of information. There is also a Healthboard for RSD which I find really helpful.
When I brought the information to my ortho he agreed...kind of ridiculous that I had to figure out what was wrong with me....after going to neurologist and pain management doctors they all agree on diagnosis. Early diagnosis and treatment is the best defense against it at this point. That's why I shared my story on this board. I hope you find the answers you're looking for....one thing I know for sure....I know my body, I know when something's not right....keep searching and asking questions until you find what you need.
Jeanne

Old 02-23-2007, 07:01 AM   #6
(female)

HURTEN HB User

I Went To The Pain Mgt Dr Yesterday Andit Is The First Time He Mentioned Rsd. And The Treatment Is A Series Of Shots.
Its Not Conclusive Yet I See My Ortho Next Week And I Will Discuss It With Him.
Sometimes The Pain Is Unbearable I Get Spasms Up And Down The Hand And Arm. Have Poor Cicculation Fingers Gocold And Numb And Ive Noticed The My Finger Nails Are Spliting.
It Is A Bit Unnerving.
I Thought I Was Gettingbetter After Surgery Butwhen I Startedusing My Hands And Went Back Towork The Pain Gotworse.
So Imhome Again Oncomp Andjustwaiting.
Hurten

Old 02-28-2007, 08:55 AM   #7
(female)

HURTEN HB User

I Went To My Ortho Yesterday,he Says He Doesnt No Why I Have So Much Pain. Itold Him What The Pain Dr Said About Rsd. I Asked If There Was A Test For It He Said No Its Only Symptoms. He Said Theres Not Muchmore He Can Do For Me . I Should Just Continue Pain Meds, Thats Nolife For Me, When I Take The Pills I Feelhigh All The Time And Very Sleepy, I Cant Getout Of Bed In The Morning.
Its A Real B.... For Me Thati Had Gotten This At Work And I Must Now Suffer For Idont No How Long????
Any Advise??
Hurten

Old 02-28-2007, 09:15 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User

HURTEN. Have you been to the RSD forum at Healthboards? They might be able to help you there as far as suggesting what you might try next.

I had some tests done to see if I might have RSD or not....nuclear bone scan, autonomic test...( which said I had some symptoms consistent with RSD). The tests only help try to get a diagnosis, but are not always correct...some people with RSD have only a couple of symptoms, some have a wide range. I was on an RSD list for awhile and someone there said that many RSD sufferers see an average of 14 doctors before finally getting RSD diagnosis. It is imperative that you get as much help early on as possible if you have RSD.

your ortho is probably right...that there isn't much more HE can do for you, but that doesn't mean than no one can. I sought a second opinon, where I was told to go home and live with it ( whatever is wrong with my hand post surgery) but I sought a third opinion. I'm currently on amitriptyline. I tried Neurontin, but side effects were not good.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:14 AM   #9
(female)

HURTEN HB User
Unhappy Re: Carpal Tunnel and RSD

Hi Tamise, When I Went To The Ortho And Pain Drs, Theysaidthere Was No Test For Rsd, Its Just Symptoms.
I Also Went To The Insurance Dr.he Said The Same Althoughmaybe They Just Dont Know Enough About It.
The Painsometimes Is So Bad I Feellike Crying. They Ruled Out Any Ra And Like Diseases.sothey Are Perplexed So Am I.
I Have To Do More Research On This.
Thanks For Your Concern.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:51 AM   #10
(female)

HURTEN HB User

Hi I Went Back To The Pain Dr. He Said The Treament For Rsd.
Is A Needle In The Nerve,how This Is Done They Put You To Sleep,put The X/ray Machine (i Know Its Called Something Else ) To Find The Correct Nerve And Then They Inject You Directly Into That Nerve. I Told The Dr No Way As I Am Afraid If He Misses I Might Be Paralized. I Cant Believe He Said It Was The Only Way.
So Im Still Home Not Working Income Is Cut In 1/4 And Still Hurten.
If I Have To I Will Live With The Pain As I Am Afraid Of Any Other Treatments. The Dr Keeps Giving Me Pills For The Pain. I Have A Low Tolerance For The Pills I Get Reactions That Cause Me To Become Dizzy And Incoherant.
I Dont No Any Other Way.
Any Advise???
Hurten

Closed Thread