It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
(male)

Snibe HB User
arm and finger problems

Hello, I previously wrote in about my Lyme disease and treatment but this is seems unrelated. I have been spending an incredible amount of time on my computer recently, probably around eight hours a day. I play games and it is fairly stressful on my wrists and arms.
Several days ago i felt like my tendons were too tight and my hand was trying to close. I've gotten this before and discounted it. But over the next several days developed weakness and pain in my arms and numbing of my finger tips It worse after being on the computer and a Slightly worse at night.
I have almost completely stopped using the computer and that helps. I of course first thought it was carpel tunnel syndrome but i don't really know. I am only 19 years old and the numbness is only in my pinky and ring finger. I also have almost no wrist pain. If anyone could help it would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Snibe

Old 09-09-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User
Re: arm and finger problems

Snibe,
Let me explain something, then I'll give advice. The median nerve controls the thumb, pointer and middle finger. The ulnar nerve controls the ring finger and the pinkie. Ok, now, you could have ulnar tunnel or cubital tunnel. Not sure how they are different. You might want to go surfing online to read up on those two. Ever lean on your elbow and only your ring and pinkie fingers go to sleep? Well that's from pressure on the ulnar nerve. You could be in the early stages of this and if you are careful you could avoid getting ulnar or cubital tunnel full blown. I haven't had either of those, mine was carpal tunnel. I had surgery and it came back and now I'm in physical therapy for it. If I could turn back the clock 10 years, I would have done things differently. I'm 50 and my surgeries were at age 48. Using a computer and mouse is definitely hard on your body. I have poor posture and I'm sure that has something to do with it. However, the space you inherit in your wrists will also add to carpal, ulnar or cubital tunnel. You have to have an EMG test done to prove you have this, and it's expensive. Good luck and keep us informed on your hands.
--Jo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
(male)

Snibe HB User
Re: arm and finger problems

Thanks for the reply Jo,

What you say seems to fit. I have nerve damage on my shoulder and neck so it may be related. My only question is whether this is something that I can deal with alone. I'm so sick of going to the doctor and physical therapy and everything else. I'm almost certain what your going to say but I'll ask anyway, is it fairly probable that if i don't get this treated by a professional it will come back to haunt me?
-Snibe

Closed Thread