It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
(female)

jaderiver HB User
Cubital tunnel surgery, burning pain incision area and palm, becoming worse, ????

If you read my post below titled "Ulnar nerve compression surgery-elbow 7 weeks ago, same elbow injured recently, help" it may help in regards to this problem.

I had surgery mid September 2007 for cubital tunnel syndrome.

Since my elbow was injured at the beginning of November (injured after surgery) I am experiencing the following: electrical shock feeling if I lean, bend or tap my elbow. I had this before and after surgery but it became worse after this injury. I also have increased numbness in my little finger and ring finger. Ring finger never bugged me before but since injury, numbness there now.

Now for the past 6 days I am experiencing burning pain in the incision area of my elbow and also the palm of my hand below little and ring finger. Now I noticed the burning is spreading in my palm just underneath my middle finger The burning pain is increasing I had burning after surgery but knew it was normal and it eventually started to subside. For some strange reason the burning started up again 6 days ago and is becoming worse. After I was injured I had pain but more of typical injury pain like when you sprain or strain a muscle, not burning. Not sure why now this burning has started up again and becoming worse.

I did see the surgeon last week for a follow up. This was before the burning pain started. I told her about the electrical shock and numbness. She wasn't sure what is going on, just said to come back in 4 weeks time.

I see the surgeon early January for my next follow up.

Is this normal? The electrical shock feeling and numbness has been ongoing since Nov.4th, hasn't subsided.

Last edited by jaderiver; 12-19-2007 at 06:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
(female)

jaderiver HB User
Re: Cubital tunnel surgery, burning pain incision area and palm, becoming worse, ???

Nothing has changed for the better. I still have burning pain, electrical sensations, numbness. I take Advil for the pain, helps somewhat. I see the surgeon January 8th. Last appt she didn't know what was going on and told me to come back in a month's time. I just hope I will get some answers at my next appt.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
(female)

nickles HB User
Re: Cubital tunnel surgery, burning pain incision area and palm, becoming worse, ???

burning pain is typical of nerve damage and when your nerves are trying to repair. press your surgeon for more answers! they have a responsibility to explain procedures and side effects so that the patient understands. i would be cautious of a surgeon who told me to come back in 4 weeks after being notified that the pain was becoming worse. also if you have been doing repetitive motions you may have aggrivated the nerve. i'm not sure how your injury was obtained, but repetitive motions are what compress and damage.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
(female)

jaderiver HB User

The injury occured... I was pushed into a wall and my elbow (tip of it) was slammed pretty hard into the wall. Since then I am experiencing these symptoms.

When I saw the surgeon in early December I was trying to explain to her that these symptoms occured after an injury, not after surgery. She kept interrupting me and then started to say " I didn't cut your nerve" repeated it several times. I know she didn't cut my nerve, trying to explain that but kept getting interrupted. She didn't seem to quite know what was going on, told me to come back in months time. This surgeon just graduated this summer.

I go for physical therapy which seems to aggravate it but I keep going. I told the therapist that pain becomes worse when bending elbow. Didn't have much to say. When arm is more straight it's not as bad, bent it is worse. It's not improving.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
(female)

jaderiver HB User

Update..

I did see the surgeon today. She is not sure exactly what is occuring but wants to send me to get an EMG. I go in three weeks time. Then I will see her a month after that. She mentioned she could do another surgery but said there is not one hundred percent guarantee it will make a big difference. I may have little improvement or huge improvement. She will discuss it with me after the EMG test.

I suppose all surgeries are not guaranteed to solve conditions?

My first surgery for this was in April 2006. I had decompression of the nerve.
Second surgery was September 2007. Decompression and removing a piece of the bone from the groove area to make more room for the nerve.

I don't know what is next? I have heard that some people have the nerve moved over in there arm. She didn't really say what type of surgery unless she discusses it at my next appointment.

I know in September on surgery day I asked her what she plans on doing. She said she wouldn't know until she opened my elbow and see what the problem is.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
(female)

Amy26 HB User

I'd say get a second opinion... this doctor doesn't seem to listen to you or have a lot of experience.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
(female)

jaderiver HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy26 View Post
I'd say get a second opinion... this doctor doesn't seem to listen to you or have a lot of experience.

This surgeon graduated from plastic surgery training in June 2007.

My first operation was done by another surgeon, he is now retired. The surgery I had in September 2007 was done by this new surgeon.

I would like to seek a second opinion but unfortunately the wait time to see another plastic surgeon is a one year. I phoned around and all the established ones have a very long waiting list, one year.

Last edited by jaderiver; 01-13-2008 at 07:35 PM.

Closed Thread