It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
(female)

labgeek HB User
Smile Has anyone had CT with a normal EMG?

I went to an othor last Sept. for wrist pain that seemed like carpal tunnel. I had an EMG which was completely normal. He took an xray of my neck. He told me my pain in my wrist and forearm was from my curved neck. I have a curved neck and rounded shoulders (genetic, my mom and maternal gma are built the same way). He told me it was not carpal tunnel. I do very intracate work with my hands and sit at several different microscopes during the course of my work. I have done everything I can at work (adjusting heights of chairs to the scopes, where a brace at night ect...). The pain is still there and is more severe.

Since my last work up I have had a loss of quite a bit of strength in my right hand. I am right handed and in multiple tests my right hand is 15-20lbs less in strength than my left hand.

I went to a new ortho a couple weeks ago who said it sounded like carpal tunnel, and gave me a cortisone shot. I though it was helping till I did something that required gripping for a while and then the pain came back. And since then I have spent several days doing data entry at a computer (normally don't do this kind of work extensively) and now have a pain about an inch below my elbow in the muscle to the right of my forearm. Not in the middle. It's not above or directly at my elbow, but towards my hand. I get occassional tingling in my pinky, but luckely no numbness.

I am just looking for any alternatives to carpal tunnel it might be. I ran it through work comp last year, but went through my own insurance this time and am waiting to see if they kick it out to work comp or let it go through.

Thanks, Labgeek

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2008, 04:17 AM   #2
(female)

merrylee HB User
Re: Has anyone had CT with a normal EMG?

yes, me. I have had cts for almost 2 years. THen I did an emg just to be 100% sure before surgery. It said none in one arm and minimal in the other. The doc said to ignore those that they can be wrong. He still wants to do it. A second dr said the same thing.,

Old 07-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
(female)

HURTEN HB User

My First And Second Emg's Were Negative But I Had The Release On The Left Hand In Agd Of 06, After Surgery I Had Emg Again And The Results Were Worse. Now The Dr Thinks Its The Ulnar Nerve And I Am Going For Another Emg Next Week. I Swear Its Almost As Painful As The Ct
Also An Trying To Establishthe Fact That The Ulnar Nerve Was Damaged And The Dr Ignored It , I Complained And No One Heard Me!!!!!!
I Hate Drs. But Have No Choice But To Listen To Them As Thats What They Do??????
In Answer To The Tingling Question You Dont Need To Be Tingling, Pain Is Enough For A Diagnosis
Good Luck

Old 07-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
(female)

labgeek HB User

I go for another EMG on monday. So we will see how that turns out. I will let you all know. Thanks for the responses. Nice to know that I am not alone in this. And BTW, my Dr. told me that about 15% of all EMG negatives are wrong. She took the first EMG with a grain of salt too. She was more concerned about the loss of strength.

Closed Thread