It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
(female)

rheescup1959 HB User
carpal tunnel syndrome and trigger thumb

had ctr surgery in jan 2008 now have trigger thumb in same hand wondered if this is common keep reading the two occur together alot. some dr say the trigger thumb is from repetitive work some dont. how do you know? they said my cts was from my job so i think the trigger thumb is too. any one eles have this together?

Old 09-12-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
(female)

Lainey54 HB User
Re: carpal tunnel syndrome and trigger thumb

I am new to these boards, but your description sounds a lot like my situation. I have had carpal for 23 years, treated only with wearing splints nightly and taking NSAIDs for all this time. Last week I was put on disability for my hand limitations when hand doc said the CTS and thumb joint arthritis (rt hand) were severe. Carpal honestly isn't any worse than it has been for years. The thumb joint is pretty bad, apparently very bad for someone my age.

Doc is recommending I consider CTR surgery and/or thumb joint reconstruction either separately or together. BTW, I am 54 yr old female-carpal first happened during office work.

I am concerned that IF I consider surgery for one or both, the left hand CTS and thumb joint will become much worse from overuse during recovery.

What do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
(female)

haze111 HB User

hi iam 49 years old and i work at a fish plant. its all hard work and this week iam doing a job that is really hurting my hands. im really scared about this capal tunnel thing. i am awake at night with achjng hands and they go dead.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
(female)

haze111 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainey54 View Post
I am new to these boards, but your description sounds a lot like my situation. I have had carpal for 23 years, treated only with wearing splints nightly and taking NSAIDs for all this time. Last week I was put on disability for my hand limitations when hand doc said the CTS and thumb joint arthritis (rt hand) were severe. Carpal honestly isn't any worse than it has been for years. The thumb joint is pretty bad, apparently very bad for someone my age.

Doc is recommending I consider CTR surgery and/or thumb joint reconstruction either separately or together. BTW, I am 54 yr old female-carpal first happened during office work.

I am concerned that IF I consider surgery for one or both, the left hand CTS and thumb joint will become much worse from overuse during recovery.

What do you think?

Old 09-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #5
(female)

haze111 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze111 View Post
hi iam 49 years old and i work at a fish plant. its all hard work and this week iam doing a job that is really hurting my hands. im really scared about this capal tunnel thing. i am awake at night with achjng hands and they go dead.
hey is any one yhere to reply to me .i dont know if im oing this right

The Following User Says Thank You to haze111 For This Useful Post:
sfrenchak (11-24-2012)
Old 09-19-2008, 12:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Everyone,

I was diagnosed with bilateral carpal tunnel this past February. I probably had it for years but I also have neuropathy so I thought my hand and wrist pain was from that. But EMG’s confirmed carpal tunnel. I started with wearing the night splints but then couldn’t sleep with them, so I stopped wearing them. I then developed trigger thumb in my left hand and tried a cortisone injection and it did not help. I had surgery to repair it and it was successful A couple of months later I developed trigger thumb in my right hand, but my doctor said this would probably happen to me as I have Diabetes. I did try a cortisone injection in my right thumb and it helped so I have put off surgery again. I just don’t like to get the cortisone injections because it raises my blood sugars and I have read they aren’t so good for you. If it’s not one thing it’s another with me…

(¯`'·.¸..(¯`'·.¸ Jeanne ¸.·'´¯)..¸.·'´¯)

on L4,L5,S1 June 2003
Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
FBSS-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
Re-Herniated Disc's, L4-5, L-5 & S1
~CERVICAL~
Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD)
Disc Osteophyte Complex
Compression Deformity & Spinal Lithiasis
C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated & Bulging Disc's
C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.
Fusion & Discectomy on Level C5-6 September 2005
Instrumentation = Titanium Plate & Screws

Removal of Gallbladder December 2005
Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
Slap Injury's of Bilateral Shoulders
Hyperlipidemia, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthrosis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
Tendonosis, Type ll Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma, Acid Reflux, IBS,
Migraine's, Sleep Apnea, Urinary Incontinence, Leukocytosis, Proteinuria,
Polyneuropathy, Restless Leg Syndrome(RLS), Edema of Bilateral Legs & Feet.

Bilateral Carpal Tunnel, Medial Epicondylitis (golfers elbow)

Old 09-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
(female)

Lainey54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze111 View Post

Have you tried wearing wrist splints at night? They make a world of difference for me. I have had carpal for 23 years, and it has helped a lot to keep the wrists immoble while I sleep. You can also wear them during the day if you're having a rough day. Don't think you could function while wearing them at work, but they really helped me a lot.

Good luck!

Lainey

Old 10-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
(female)

rheescup1959 HB User

hi, I had my right hand done in jan 08 left hand done in aug 08 right hand went pretty well, left still off work because it didnt heal as well.developed scar tissue and pain in the scar area, like a burning,also the wrist still has pain in that hand.Just got the ok from BWC to get treatment for the right trigger thumb.Starting with a cortisone shot,most people say this just helps a short time but will probably need surgery. The surgery for the CTR isnt so bad my Dr. just used a local.I think my hands have lost alot of strength but i hope in time its worth it. I did the occupational therapy after both.Good luck to you in in whatever you decide. let me know how it works out.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #9
(female)

Lainey54 HB User
Talking Re: carpal tunnel syndrome and trigger thumb

I did end up having both carpal tunnel release and rt, thumb arthroplasty. The surgery was done 2 weeks ago, and i am now in a cast. hard to do caps while left-handed typing.

so far, i'm doing ok. i will keep you posted.

Closed Thread