It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008, 12:25 AM   #1
(male)

swbluto HB User
Tip of Index finger painfully sensitive to touch?

I've been having persistent wrist and forearm pains for about a year and half. I seemed to acquire it while folding papers for a newspaper route and with aspirations of programming and reading the literature on the longevity of this particuliar suspected diagnosis(Doctor suspects CT, but I don't have some of the "tell-tale signs" like tingling in the pinky and ring finger at night nor do I experience "numbness", but I do experience parasthesia/tingling-burning sensations.), I thought my future was destroyed. Combined with the fact I hadn't experienced this before and I don't remember hearing anyone experiencing this, I felt alone, extremely afraid and intensely angry. Zoom 1.5 years later, and here I am. After some adapting(like replaced my keyboard with an ergonomic, taking frequent brakes, etc.), it's calmed down QUITE a bit and while I can feel slight tingling throughout the day, it's NO where near as severe as it was a year ago. I've taken up exercising(By selling my car thus forcing me to use my bicycle to get everywhere) and eating 'healthy' in an effort to improve my long-term odds and health in general. But... yeah... there's an apparent correlation with extended computer use and the severity of my symptoms during the day, so physical use seems to have something to do with it.

Anyways, I was scrunched up against the computer desk at a library as close as I could go as I was, well, trying to ... uhh... conceal myself(I really wasn't supposed to be at the computer, you see.) and that caused my hand and arms to form at odd angle to the computer desk. I got up and walked around and browsed through several books and picked up a book and started reading it while sitting down. It was a "harder to hold open book"(If I try to hold open a "stiff" book for too long, my arm starts to become pained and it tends to last for a day or two or, if severe enough, for several weeks.) but not incredibly so and then I put it back. After putting it back, I left the library as it was closing and went to class and then noticed shortly that my right index finger's tip hurt whenever I touched it(or it touched something else), but at no other time. I wondered if maybe I touched some odd material that caused this(like perhaps fiberglass? Or a metal sliver?) but the pain seemed specific to the area of the tip of the finger instead of one-specific spot. Upon further examination, it was clear there wasn't a foreign object lodged in there. Even more oddly, if I flooded the finger with sensory input(i.e., rubbing it or continuously touching something else), this phenomena seemed to vanish momentarily but it'd come back after a while. After this has been happening for a day, it now seems this phenomena "oscillates" throughout the day where it seems perfectly fine one moment, but then it comes back the next moment.

I haven't seen ANYTHING about this in the Carpal Tunnel literature as far I recall. Is there another RSI or something related where this is a symptom? I would give anything in the world(realistically, probably around 10 years of my labor) to have this crap diagnosed and, probably for another 10 years of my labor, cured! But I'm not necessarily expecting a cure, I'd just like to have some insight so I can adapt as well I possibly could. I've already made substantial changes to my career plans to accomodate a possibly worsening, but ... not having "working hands" permeates all aspects of life in a not-so enjoyable way.

(The last time I intensely researched my RSI, diseases involving the Ulnar nerve were suspected. Carpal tunnel is also a candidate, but not entirely confirmed, and there might be some other unknown that I haven't eliminated by deduction.)

I'm a 21 year old male. It doesn't seem like this disease is common for my demographic, so I'm also a little bit more surprised by that.

Last edited by swbluto; 10-02-2008 at 12:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
(female)

ducky03 HB User
Re: Tip of Index finger painfully sensitive to touch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbluto View Post
I've been having persistent wrist and forearm pains for about a year and half. I seemed to acquire it while folding papers for a newspaper route and with aspirations of programming and reading the literature on the longevity of this particuliar suspected diagnosis(Doctor suspects CT, but I don't have some of the "tell-tale signs" like tingling in the pinky and ring finger at night nor do I experience "numbness", but I do experience parasthesia/tingling-burning sensations.), I thought my future was destroyed. Combined with the fact I hadn't experienced this before and I don't remember hearing anyone experiencing this, I felt alone, extremely afraid and intensely angry. Zoom 1.5 years later, and here I am. After some adapting(like replaced my keyboard with an ergonomic, taking frequent brakes, etc.), it's calmed down QUITE a bit and while I can feel slight tingling throughout the day, it's NO where near as severe as it was a year ago. I've taken up exercising(By selling my car thus forcing me to use my bicycle to get everywhere) and eating 'healthy' in an effort to improve my long-term odds and health in general. But... yeah... there's an apparent correlation with extended computer use and the severity of my symptoms during the day, so physical use seems to have something to do with it.

Anyways, I was scrunched up against the computer desk at a library as close as I could go as I was, well, trying to ... uhh... conceal myself(I really wasn't supposed to be at the computer, you see.) and that caused my hand and arms to form at odd angle to the computer desk. I got up and walked around and browsed through several books and picked up a book and started reading it while sitting down. It was a "harder to hold open book"(If I try to hold open a "stiff" book for too long, my arm starts to become pained and it tends to last for a day or two or, if severe enough, for several weeks.) but not incredibly so and then I put it back. After putting it back, I left the library as it was closing and went to class and then noticed shortly that my right index finger's tip hurt whenever I touched it(or it touched something else), but at no other time. I wondered if maybe I touched some odd material that caused this(like perhaps fiberglass? Or a metal sliver?) but the pain seemed specific to the area of the tip of the finger instead of one-specific spot. Upon further examination, it was clear there wasn't a foreign object lodged in there. Even more oddly, if I flooded the finger with sensory input(i.e., rubbing it or continuously touching something else), this phenomena seemed to vanish momentarily but it'd come back after a while. After this has been happening for a day, it now seems this phenomena "oscillates" throughout the day where it seems perfectly fine one moment, but then it comes back the next moment.

I haven't seen ANYTHING about this in the Carpal Tunnel literature as far I recall. Is there another RSI or something related where this is a symptom? I would give anything in the world(realistically, probably around 10 years of my labor) to have this crap diagnosed and, probably for another 10 years of my labor, cured! But I'm not necessarily expecting a cure, I'd just like to have some insight so I can adapt as well I possibly could. I've already made substantial changes to my career plans to accomodate a possibly worsening, but ... not having "working hands" permeates all aspects of life in a not-so enjoyable way.

(The last time I intensely researched my RSI, diseases involving the Ulnar nerve were suspected. Carpal tunnel is also a candidate, but not entirely confirmed, and there might be some other unknown that I haven't eliminated by deduction.)

I'm a 21 year old male. It doesn't seem like this disease is common for my demographic, so I'm also a little bit more surprised by that.

I have experienced a similar feeling like there's fiberglass or something, but for me it was my left pinky...last a few days, and then just vanishes as fast as it comes. It's happened a few times now, but I have no idea what it is (and it's so sporadic I'm not overly concerned about it)...all I know is that it's a nerve thing, maybe being momentarily pinched for some reason. Hope it gets better soon!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
(female)

caesar12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbluto View Post

Hi swbluto,
I have exactly the same finger problem as you!!! I was seen by many doctors, had X-rays done, had U/S done, had physiotherapy and NOTHING worked for me!! They still couldn't reach a firm diagnosis.
I'm frustrated by this so much, I can't work, I can't handle my baby, I can't open a can, & it hurts like hell everytime I touch it even if it's the slightest touch! It's been there for a year now & it's only getting worse.
Plz plz if you have to know any info about this condition then let me know

Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User

Hi swbluto

Younger people are being impacted by the texting, computer games etc. at younger & younger ages. Bodies aren't made to sit and use keyoards for hours at a time. and there are things we can do to counter the effect, as you have been discovering.

The carpal tunnel only refers to a specific nerve pathway....while there are generally known CT symptoms, there are many more symptoms we can get than the 'usually' known symptoms. I know from personal experience.

For a proper diagnosis you need nerve conduction and maybe also muscle response tests. An EMG will show whether your nerves are compromised. You don't want to wait until you get the extreme symptoms. Not every case is 'usual' or alike. and nerves can die, which is a permanent condition.

Anyone any age doing anything repetitively can get various types of symptoms and still be nerve related. It's best to get tested and find the source of the problem. You might find a piched nerve in the neck or back that can be relieved by a chiropractor, or you may need physical therapy, or minimally invasive nerve release surgery. Or regular stretching may resolve your problems entirely, once the inflamed nerves are healed (which can take a very long time). A nerve can be compromised just from being squeezed by muscle (sciatic nerve pain is often from the pressure of buttock muscle). It's best to find out, and change doctors till you do find out.

Also, regularly hold your arms straight up and open your hands to (gently)stretch the fingers all the way open, hold this position for a few seconds and gently relax, make a fist. Doing this ten times, several times a day helps keep the muscles relaxed and the nerve pathways open.

Anything we do repetively without the counter actions usually causes stiffness and pain or aching. Our bodies are made to move and must be kept limber.

Drink plenty of water and avoid diuretic liquids (sports drinks, sodas, caffeine, etc) as much as possible, to keep body tissue lubricated.

Most of all, please do not try to disagnose and understand all of this by yourself. You need to have an EMG done to see if your nerves are actually impacted and which ones.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

broken580 HB User

He told me if I continue to do everything like I always do I could end up having to have my right hand done again. So I try not to overdo it. If you have scar tissue once again in the right hand, you may need it again too. Ask yourself if the symptoms are getting bad enough that you are afraid it will get to the point where you can't function. Good luck.

Reply Reply