It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #1
(female)

happynik HB User
Wrist brace

How often should I wear my wrist brace? I sleep with it on, but by morning time, I'm ready to stop wearing it. I spend about 12 hours a day on a computer and it hurts to type with it on. Should I only wear it when my wrist is resting to "keep it in a neutral position?" It's just not possible to keep it in a neutral position that the wrist brace insists upon, while working...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2009, 01:47 AM   #2
(female)

BOBERS47 HB User
Re: Wrist brace

Quote:
Originally Posted by happynik View Post
how often should i wear my wrist brace? I sleep with it on, but by morning time, i'm ready to stop wearing it. I spend about 12 hours a day on a computer and it hurts to type with it on. Should i only wear it when my wrist is resting to "keep it in a neutral position?" it's just not possible to keep it in a neutral position that the wrist brace insists upon, while working...
thats what i was told...just wear it half the day...but, the very thing you're doing...for work...typing..is what can cause carpal tunnel...i understand what you're saying " its impossible to do what you do with a wrist brace on" it doesnt work. They just try that, first. If it doesnt help..to rest the wrist. (its swollen on the inside) you'll have to have the surgery...whick is minor. Outpatient surgery. Takes about a week to heal before you go back to normal activity...to me....the wrist brace is a waste of time...just get on with it...have the surgery and go about your business...and if it were me....dont let them tell you to find a different kind of work....its bogus...then they end up with their so called " retraining" doing exactly what you were doing...and you gave up your job for that nonsense.....just have the surgery done....keep your job....and it will be fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
(female)

happynik HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBERS47 View Post
thats what i was told...just wear it half the day...but, the very thing you're doing...for work...typing..is what can cause carpal tunnel...i understand what you're saying " its impossible to do what you do with a wrist brace on" it doesnt work. They just try that, first. If it doesnt help..to rest the wrist. (its swollen on the inside) you'll have to have the surgery...whick is minor. Outpatient surgery. Takes about a week to heal before you go back to normal activity...to me....the wrist brace is a waste of time...just get on with it...have the surgery and go about your business...and if it were me....dont let them tell you to find a different kind of work....its bogus...then they end up with their so called " retraining" doing exactly what you were doing...and you gave up your job for that nonsense.....just have the surgery done....keep your job....and it will be fine.

Thanks for responding! I don't think mine is bad enough to have surgery. It doesn't hurt all the time, it's just like once every few months it flares up and hurts like hell for a week...then goes back to normal. But good to know that the surgery is very minor, in case I ever do have to go down that path. Thank you!

Old 03-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
(male)

jackcc HB User

There are many different kinds of wrist braces for people with carpal tunnel. The one I sleep with is bulky too. I have five different kinds that I use. If you do a search you will find many choices. Some can be worn while typing. We are not too limited because we have carpal tunnel. You can find a support that you can wear while typing. Google wrist braces. Google carpal tunnel. You'll find something that works for you.
My mother had surgery on both hands and was helpless for awhile. I will never have surgery for carpal tunnel. Imagine not being able to use your hands for any period of time . And the surgery did not help her. It doesn't always solve the problem.

Last edited by jackcc; 03-28-2009 at 11:08 PM.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User

when on your computer, roll a towel up and puy it under your wrist as you use your mouse.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:26 AM   #6
(female)

Iambehaving HB User

I also suggest looking into a split keyboard and a different mouse. The mouse I use makes HUGE difference on how quickly I would have issues. They make some mouse pads also with a raised section to rest your wrist on to help keep it in a better position for long term use.

I went on for 7 years until finally I just gave up and had the surgery. It took a good 9 months before I finally saw all the results from the surgery but it was WELL worth it!!

Closed Thread