It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
(female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User
How long before you drove after surgery on right hand?

I had the release surgery on my right hand 3 days ago. My large splint and bandage came off last night and now I am in a splinted glove with a large adhesive pad over the incision. My surgeon told me that I could drive "when I felt up to it". I returned to work today but had a ride to and from. I was wondering from those who have had the surgery on just one hand, how long before you can or could drive? Thanks.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User
Re: How long before you drove after surgery on right hand?

the first time I had surgery my doctor told me that most patients can drive themselves to the 2 week appointment to have their stitches out. My response was -- you're nuts. I do agree that you have to feel up to it, but you have to have both strenghth and the confidence to do it. One of the best pieces of advice I was given, by my physical therapist--not my doctor, was to get weight lifting gloves to drive in. You will be tender in the area where the palm and wrist meet and the gloves have padding that cushion that. To answer your question I would say maybe at three weeks past surgery. I just had my right hand done a second time and my surgery was April 1st. I'm not anywhere near ready to drive because the surgery was more invasive. When I'm ready I will. However, I don't work, we retired not too long ago and my hubby drives me around.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread