It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2010, 06:13 AM   #1
(female)

csp1 HB User
cortisone injection

has anyone ever had a cortisone injection for carpal tunnel syndrome? I just had one and still have the tangling in the wrist pain. My doctor says if the pain goes away that means I have carpal total syndrome. If the pain doesn't go away, that means I don't have it. Has anyone had experience with this? I feel like this new doctor doesn't believe anything I tell him. This is because nothing showed up on my EMG's. I know I have carpal tunnel since I had 20 years ago as well. He told me it's very rare to get it back. He also said the EMGs are very accurate. I'm having a very hard time with this since I've read just the opposite. He keep me a cortisone injection, and said wait and see what happens. If symptoms come back give him a call. I'm so afraid he's going to say whatever I tell him is wrong. Any suggestions? I just want someone to believe me that I have carpal tunnel syndrome since thesymptoms are all the same as 20 years ago.

CSP1

Old 09-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
(female)

packfan96 HB User
Re: cortisone injection

Your situation sounds a little like mine. I had carpal tunnel symptoms for many years, the NCS was negative. Dr. did as many conservative options as he could, to no avail, so I had it operated on as he believed I had carpal tunnel even though the test was negative. Pain free for 8 years...have always been very happy I had surgery.

Now the pain is back. Dr. sent me for another NCS and EMG, both of which were negative. He said he still believes it's carpal tunnel, even though it's rare for it to come back, and rare to have a negative NCS (but the surgery did fix the symptoms, so I do believe him).

He wants to do a cortisone injection, not to fix the pain, but to determine if surgery will help again. Similar to what your dr said, he said if the pain goes away, that confirms his diagnosis of carpal tunnel and makes me a good candidate for a repeat surgery.

Like you, I'm at a loss. Don't really want surgery again, don't really want the injection. My dr. is very convinced it's carpal tunnel, I'm not so sure it is...symptoms are not entirely the same as before...I think he may be jumping to carpal tunnel b/c I've had it before. Just not sure what it could be. I think I'm going to seek a second opinion from another dr (although he encouraged me to do so and said another dr will tell me the same).

Good luck - it's so frustrating just wanting to be pain free and know what's causing it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
(female)

csp1 HB User

yes my situation is similar. The only thing is, I want carpal tunnel surgery. I want this over with. I'm so tired of having to convince doctors of my symptoms. This doctor didn't even tell me to come back. He just said we'll see what happens. Right now the pain is killing me from the cortisone shot. With my luck, if the pain goes away, the doctor will offer me another cortisone shot instead of surgery. This is just delaying what is inevitable. This is exhausting.
CSP1

Old 09-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User

Your doctor doesn't know much. I had CTS and surgery on both hands in 2005. Then due to scar tissue from the operation in my right hand I had to have it done again. My doctor tried steroids first. No good. Then he gave me a cortisone shot. It lasted a few hours. The next day pain was back. Needless to say I needed a second operation on my right hand. So I would say if you have CTS and the shot didn't seem to do much, you probably need surgery.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
(female)

packfan96 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johands333 View Post
Your doctor doesn't know much. I had CTS and surgery on both hands in 2005. Then due to scar tissue from the operation in my right hand I had to have it done again. My doctor tried steroids first. No good. Then he gave me a cortisone shot. It lasted a few hours. The next day pain was back. Needless to say I needed a second operation on my right hand. So I would say if you have CTS and the shot didn't seem to do much, you probably need surgery.
How did they know it was scar tissue? Did your second surgery work? I had surgery in 2002 and mine seems to be back...doctor is recommending surgery as my best / only option...I know he's probably right but I was really hoping for a different answer!

Closed Thread