It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
(female)

u164883 HB User
Question Ulnar nerve transposition-post op issues, please help!!!

If questions about my issue, please see my biography, it is a lot to explain in this post. Basically, I had an ulnar nerve transposition surgery 09/28/2010. I wore a splint wrapped in an ACE bandage for 2 weeks, and it was just removed 10/12/2010. Since the splint was removed and my arm is no longer protected/padded, I am experiencing severe pain in my elbow. It is not numb, just feels like it is bruised severely. I expected this pain, so not surprised about this. What bothers me, is I have severe pins and needles across my whole forearm. When even very light pressure (sometimes even a touch) is placed on my forearm, it hurts a lot, like it is severely bruised. My left pinky finger is totally numb, which is worse than it was before my surgery, and my hand throbs and cramps whenever I use the hand at all. I still cannot extend my arm fully, but I have read that this is normal, since the elbow was operated on and then immobilized for 2 weeks. My arm also still feels very weak. I have no strength in my hand and can barely write. Can anyone tell me if any or all of these symptoms are normal? I don't want to keep bugging my surgeon, but if I need to be concerned, I will. Thanks for ANY advice anyone can give!!!!

Old 10-31-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
(female)

PainPainGoAway HB User
Re: Ulnar nerve transposition-post op issues, please help!!!

I'm not sure if that is normal because I've never had that particular surgery, but I can tell you that massage will definitely help you. I would suggest getting to a Massotherapist and have them work on your arm, back and neck. The nerves are connected from your arm, neck and back..it sounds like you have a pinched nerve somewhere. The muscles and nerves are connected, and if you massage the muscles, it will release the pinched nerve and relieve the pain in your arm. I figured that out on my own the other day...I had all of those problems without even having surgery..and I used a shiatsu massage pillow on my back and the severe pain I had in my left arm is gone! All of the muscle aches in my arm are gone too! I was sent for an EMG because the hand surgeon swore I had CTS...wrong! I had a pinched nerve and fixed it myself! haha Try it..you don't have anything to lose..it's definitely worth trying!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
(female)

u164883 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainPainGoAway View Post
I'm not sure if that is normal because I've never had that particular surgery, but I can tell you that massage will definitely help you. I would suggest getting to a Massotherapist and have them work on your arm, back and neck. The nerves are connected from your arm, neck and back..it sounds like you have a pinched nerve somewhere. The muscles and nerves are connected, and if you massage the muscles, it will release the pinched nerve and relieve the pain in your arm. I figured that out on my own the other day...I had all of those problems without even having surgery..and I used a shiatsu massage pillow on my back and the severe pain I had in my left arm is gone! All of the muscle aches in my arm are gone too! I was sent for an EMG because the hand surgeon swore I had CTS...wrong! I had a pinched nerve and fixed it myself! haha Try it..you don't have anything to lose..it's definitely worth trying!!

I do have a few pinched nerves in my neck, called cervical radiculopathy, which is a degenerative spinal condition. I also had an issue with ulnar nerve entrapment at the elbow, which was what the surgery was done for. I'm still experiencing the problems and now going to physical therapy, where they do massage, as well. The massage helps a bit, but it is very temporary. So I guess I was just hoping the surgery had solved the problem, but seems it only did so partially. I still have the neck problem, which will also cause arm problems. I could have surgery on the neck, but spinal surgery kind of freaks me out. Plus, since my neck issue is degenerative, even if the surgery helps, the condition could come back again later on!

Old 11-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
(female)

PainPainGoAway HB User

I know, it's all so scary!! It seems like there is no "quick fix" for anything! Maybe you have scar tissue from the surgery. That will cause complications. You have to have them massage the right spots..if they don't get the right spots then it won't help much. You do also need to have it done for awhile for it to be more permanent vs temporary. My pain isn't completely gone either..but it has gone down drastically. I also have been digging this massage pillow into that spot several times a day! lol I was ready to cut my arm right off! Now I can type and do some stuff with it..but I'm being careful so I don't pinch the nerve again. I'm going to a masso/physical therapist tmrw..can't wait!! Do you take a multivitamin? I would try that...your body needs certain vitamins, and enough of them, in order to function properly. Many vitamins, if you are deficient with them, will cause certain conditions. Try taking a multivitamin..but keep in mind that it takes some time to get into your system good enough to be effective. So be consistent with it and don't give up! Same for therapy..takes time to be effective. I hope you start to get some relief soon! Keep me posted!

Sandy

Old 11-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
(female)

JennHaneman HB User

I had a similar experience after having submuscular transposition of the ulnar nerve in May. I was told that is all normal, in going to OT most of those symptoms if not all went away. Unfortunately now almot 6 months later I am again having issues with chronic pain and symptoms so I will be having a second surgery nexy month. I wish you luck and a healthy recovery.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
(female)

u164883 HB User

Thanks all of you. I went back to work on 11/15. The symptoms are not worse, but not better either. My surgeon said that because my nerve was so badly compressed, it may take up to 6 months for these symptoms to go away. I have gone to 2 physical therapy sessions so far and have more scheduled. The doctor has me on modified duty at work - no more than 8 hours a day and a 5 minute stretch break every 30 minutes. I don't think my employer is too happy, but oh well. They are accommodating me. My surgeon basically told me that there is no further need for him to see me unless the symptoms are still bothering me in March 2011, or they become worse before that. Hoping it gets better! The pain is different than before my surgery, but just as bad!

Closed Thread

Tags
numbness of left arm, ulnar nerve damage, ulnar nerve pain, ulnar nerve surgery, ulnar nerve transposition