It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
(female)

bilybowl HB User
When to have Carpal Tunnel surgery?

I have been told that I have mild carpal tunnel syndrome from the emg, so I am curious to know at what point do people have surgery. Can anyone tell me why you choose to have surgery and how long you had symptoms?

The following user gives a hug of support to bilybowl:
sjb (02-23-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
(female)

stedwell HB User
Re: When to have Carpal Tunnel surgery?

Hi
I had CP surgery about 9 years ago. I am now 47. My symptoms were mild but interfered with my job and sleep (quite painful at night). Looking back I think I probably had my surgery sooner than a lot of people but I was worried about long term nerve damage that could not be reversed. Also my mother suffers too so I knew it would not go away. The operation was a complete success. The only time I feel discomfort now is if I knit or use the computer too much. My hand is a little weaker than the other but not that I really notice.
Hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to stedwell For This Useful Post:
bilybowl (02-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
(male)

greens HB Usergreens HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybowl View Post
I have been told that I have mild carpal tunnel syndrome from the emg, so I am curious to know at what point do people have surgery. Can anyone tell me why you choose to have surgery and how long you had symptoms?
I had my surgery when the numbness in my fingers was pretty much constant and I had bad pain in wrist that went up to my forearm and I had trouble opening doors and gripping things and doing my job. I had symptoms for years and just had my surgery in November of 2010. I should of had my surgery at least a year ago but because I waited to long I have nerve damage and recovery takes a lot longer.
As for the surgery had mine done while I was awake, my surgeon just froze the hand and proceeded to do the surgery I knew he was working on me but could not feel anything until he made the final cut in the ligament and the relief in my fingers was instant and the surgeon said he could the nerve pop up. By the evening the numbness in my fingers was gone but the pain in my wrist and forearm took about a month to go away. My grip strenght is starting to get better but still have problems opening doors or jars with stuck lids that kind of stuff. I saw my surgeon this week and he said by 3 months or so I should be close to 50% strength. I hope this helps you the biggest thing I could tell you is not to wait get done sooner than later once nerve damage is done it takes a long time to recover.
If you have any questions psot them.

The Following User Says Thank You to greens For This Useful Post:
bilybowl (02-17-2011)
Old 02-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

egoprofit HB User

Dont get surgery unless you really find CTS affecting your life. I got surgery when I found it difficult to tie my shoes, etc. There are other things, like rest, massage, etc to try first tho. I had one hand done. Trying to avoid getting the other done, but it seems to be getting worse and may be inevitable.

Last edited by egoprofit; 02-21-2011 at 07:26 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to egoprofit For This Useful Post:
bilybowl (02-21-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

andyand HB User

I had CT in my right wrist really bad about 19 years ago. I was working for a bank while going to school and I processed checked for 6 hours a day. Nothing but keying in numbers.

It was suggested to me to go to a chiropractor for treatment. That is what I did and it really helped a lot. It still flares up every now and then - especially in colder weather. So, I just go back to the chiropractor for a few treatments of muscle stem and adjustments and it helps just fine.

Before going under the knife, I suggest you look at alternative treatments.

Last edited by andyand; 02-23-2011 at 10:46 AM.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
(female)

bilybowl HB User

Thank you, I started going to a Chiropractor just before I had my most recent EMG study which showed carpal tunnel. I had my first EMG a couple of years ago which showed no carpal tunnel, interesting since my symptoms were much worse than they are now.
I started going to the Chiropractor for a bulging disk on c5 - c6 and have found this to be very helpful for both my neck and my hand/wrist.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

egoprofit HB User

How did you guys find a chiropractor that specializes in CT? I am very interested in finding one in the Houston area, I'll try everything before I have surgery again.

Thanks for the info

Old 02-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
(female)

bilybowl HB User

My friend recommended the Chiropractor that I go to and he just happened to know about CT. This is the first Chiropractor that I've gone to, so I don't know if they all do CT treatment on not. Sorry, I can't help you more.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:52 AM   #9
(female)

bebopie88 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by greens View Post
I had my surgery when the numbness in my fingers was pretty much constant and I had bad pain in wrist that went up to my forearm and I had trouble opening doors and gripping things and doing my job. I had symptoms for years and just had my surgery in November of 2010. I should of had my surgery at least a year ago but because I waited to long I have nerve damage and recovery takes a lot longer.
As for the surgery had mine done while I was awake, my surgeon just froze the hand and proceeded to do the surgery I knew he was working on me but could not feel anything until he made the final cut in the ligament and the relief in my fingers was instant and the surgeon said he could the nerve pop up. By the evening the numbness in my fingers was gone but the pain in my wrist and forearm took about a month to go away. My grip strenght is starting to get better but still have problems opening doors or jars with stuck lids that kind of stuff. I saw my surgeon this week and he said by 3 months or so I should be close to 50% strength. I hope this helps you the biggest thing I could tell you is not to wait get done sooner than later once nerve damage is done it takes a long time to recover.
If you have any questions psot them.
hi i am sched. to have the same ctr surgery done tues.! i need to ask somethings.
you have the same symptoms as i am for the most part. night pain comes and goes but now the middle finger all the way to the palm stays numb. and the tips of part of ring, index all the way down and the thumb. i have notice i am starting to loose grip on example my dinner fork, dropping it several times. and my index example i cannot tell at what pressure i have the weedeater going only bysound. i have elbow pain.
in your opinion, should i have the surgery tues and will the numbness go away. the elbow is it related to the cts? and why have i had several weeks, night pain isn't not as bad? used splints, anti inflammatory and one cortiszone shot years ago. have been grooming dogs for 14 yrs full time for 10 now just part time. thank you

Closed Thread