It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 05:21 AM   #1
(female)

grammieofrylee HB User
Is it safe to wait 18 days after surgery to get stitches out??

Hello,

I had carpal tunnel surgery done on Feb 14th, 2011 ( valentines day, lucky me LOL). The doc froze me and waited an hr before he did the surgery..needless to say when he stitched me I felt it..Anyways, now I am having to wait 18 days to get stitches out ( that is the only date they can get me in, the earliest they said )..It don't make sense to me..so was wondering if that was safe or not...

Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Is it safe to wait 18 days after surgery to get stitches out??

Hi that is a decision for a doctor to make but I had a friend who had a neck surgery and hers was healed completely over without even redness in 2 days. It was the fastest healing of a wound I had ever seen. It probably also depends very much on the person, their body condition and how fast they heal. The average healing of a laparoscopy scar is said to be about 6-8weeks I think. With someone who has carpel tunnel the circulation to the area may have been affected in the first place contributing to the carpel tunnel and maybe slower healing.

Last edited by sjb; 03-01-2011 at 06:00 AM. Reason: addition made

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
grammieofrylee (03-01-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
(female)

grammieofrylee HB User

Thank you..My doctor told me 2 weeks but because he is so booked up, I have to wait longer...the skin is starting to heal over it, that's why I was getting concerned...I felt the stitches going in, don't want to be feeling them come out..I will be ******.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi you are welcome! a call to the doctor to tell him this might be useful. Also it really does not feel that good to have stitches out last I knew but perhaps they have a spray local anesthetic or patch to see if they can lessen that effect. However I would remember also that any medicine placed on skin can also absorb into the skin. This can have some effects on the body as it attempts to remove it for example liver or kidneys although a healthy person might get away with it. I would drink plenty of water a hundred pound female should use around 50 ounces of water in my opinion. That might keep it a bit moister I am thinking and I hope make for an easier pull in theory. If one has no known liver, pancreas disease, gallbladder disorder, hypoglycemia, diabetes, obesity or cancer etc. the day before they might try a little olive oil in the potatoes and on the bread and in the vegetables to see if that will also help the stitch pull go easier, in theory of course. Have a nice day!

Last edited by sjb; 03-05-2011 at 05:18 AM. Reason: addition made, deletion made, discovery that vegan butter has saturated fat in it which may contribute to heart disease

Old 03-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
(female)

grammieofrylee HB User

Believe me I have called...He does things when HE is ready, and not any sooner...I had stitches in behind my ear before..from top to bottom and actually my doc was amazing..I didn't feel nothing...a lil pull but nothing painful at all...but just worried bout this one, as I said previous, I felt the stitching going in, EVERYTHING...all because he was over booked and was in hurry, but he sure wasn't in a hurry to operate seeing it took him over an hr to come in to do the surgery after he froze me...so kinda leary on him now....but we will soon find out I guess...thanks again

Old 03-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Hi you are welcome!

Old 03-05-2011, 05:20 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Hi just a heads up on vegan butter, it has saturated fat in it which may contribute to heart disease and I no longer recommend it for any purpose. I am sorry.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
grammieofrylee (03-05-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 05:41 AM   #8
(female)

grammieofrylee HB User

Thanks so much SJB...I got the stitches out on March 2nd...my family doctor took them out for me...It didn't hurt, but my incision is a bit weird looking lol....the inside is closed up but the outside of it is still open a bit...very odd...but all in all, it is healing pretty good so far...thanks for all your advice... .have yourself a great weekend

Old 03-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I am glad it did not hurt. Were the things tried that were suggested the day before?

I discovered today that even olive oil has a little saturated fat in it which is a vegetable oil and which I have considered safe from trusted sources. Olive oil in fact has a half gram more fat in it than the vegan butter much to my surprise. I guess it just pays not to use too much of it thats all.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
(female)

grammieofrylee HB User

I did not know that about the olive oil and no i didn't try anything...I just might now tho, seeing it is looking pretty gross and still so sore...the one piece of skin looks like it is going to fall off, or peel off...very nasty looking actually...I have seen pics of these surgeries ( couple days after surgery and when stitches come out) and mine looks nothing like them....i think he butchered me to be honest with ya......I use extra virgin olive oil, hoping its not bad

Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Hi ok I just was hoping the oil might help the stitches slide out a bit so now instead I might use a little lemon, grapefruit, organges, limes, potatoes with skin and sweet peppers to encourage healing.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

grammie: did you have endoscopic CTS surgery where they only do a local and no anesthesia? I'm headed for that on both hands and just learned this last week.

Closed Thread