It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
(female)

kibbisue HB User
Having endoscopic carpal tunnel release surgery on both hands

I am scheduled for endoscopic surgery on both hands on April 5th. I have had carpal tunnel since 1994 and type all day at a desk job so it has gotten worse since then. At first, I only had the pain, then about 6 months ago, my thumb, index and middle fingers started going numb. The numbness has been 24/7 for a few months now. I had an EMG/nerve conduction test in Feb. (which showed I had severe nerve and muscle damage) and had my consultation with the surgeon last Mon. He is going to do both hands at the same time.

I am wondering what to expect as far as anesthesia (he did mention an IV), post-op bandaging, and self-care (showering, etc.)

Last edited by kibbisue; 03-19-2011 at 09:23 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to kibbisue:
AntyBarbie (05-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
(female)

msce2 HB User
Re: Having endoscopic carpal tunnel release surgery on both hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibbisue View Post
I am scheduled for endoscopic surgery on both hands on April 5th. I have had carpal tunnel since 1994 and type all day at a desk job so it has gotten worse since then. At first, I only had the pain, then about 6 months ago, my thumb, index and middle fingers started going numb. The numbness has been 24/7 for a few months now. I had an EMG/nerve conduction test in Feb. (which showed I had severe nerve and muscle damage) and had my consultation with the surgeon last Mon. He is going to do both hands at the same time.

I am wondering what to expect as far as anesthesia (he did mention an IV), post-op bandaging, and self-care (showering, etc.)
Hi kibbisue,

I had carpal tunnel release surgery about 2 months ago on my right hand only. Do you have someone to take care of you for at least the next week possibly 2? You will not be able to do much of anything for at least 1-2 days and it will be very painful for the next few weeks. I could not even open the medicine bottle to take the pain medication. I can't possibly imagine getting both hands done. I don't want to scare you, but I don't want you going into it without the information. I mean I know there are surgeons that do both hands but as a patient having one hand done there's no way I would have both done at the same time.

The surgery itself was a piece of cake. It took about 15 minutes. My root canal was worse. I had the surgery done wide awake with just lidocaine so I didn't have the after effects of anesthesia. I was in the surgery center for less than 2 hours from the time I walked in until I walked out. Usually with anesthesia you can expect to be drowsy and possibly have nausea. But the doc really should go over that with you. You probably will be contacted by the surgery center soon.

As for post op, my hand was very swollen. I had the stitches out at 10 days but wanted them out much sooner. My hand was very weak. I am just starting to regain strength. It's a very slow, painful, frustrating process. You can also expect that the numbness will not resolve itself right away if at all. I had CTS for 7 years and my thumb was numb before surgery and is still numb. From everything I've read it may take up to a year IF the nerve is able to heal. The good news is my hand doesn't fall asleep like it used to. I can brush my hair, type and clean however the numbness has been replaced with pain.

Also be aware that there is a possibility of needing physical therapy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

egoprofit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibbisue View Post
Hi, I had endoscopic release on my left hand back in 9/2010. Still waiting for that hand to be 'normal', before getting the right one done.

As far as anesthesia, I arrived in the morning and signed in, put on the gown, layed down and they began the IV fluids immediately. They injected what I believe to be liquid Valium into the IV, then "lights out!" about 5-10 mins later. I remember being wheeled to the O.R. then I cant remember anything, just waking up in recovery room.

They do 'nerve block' on your arm and then 'twilight' anesthesia to knock you out during the op. Stitches and bandage come off 10 days later, then begin rehab/light normal activities after 6 weeks.

Don't even try opening doors for 6 weeks. Seriously, you will feel your tendons JUMP OUT of your carpal tunnel if so, and it's not a nice feeling.

For CTR surgery, the surgery is cake. The recovery is the tough part. I'm 6 months post op and still recovering!

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Last edited by egoprofit; 03-22-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
(female)

klynh HB User

Just wonder how you are doing after the first month. I am where you were last month so I am wonder how it all turned out for you. The doctor said I could do both hands at once if I had help? I am wondering how much help and for how long? they said total recovery is estimated in just two weeks. The surgeon I have is considered the best in the State and specializes in the Endoscopy surgery. I go tomorrow to do the final exam and set the surgery date and still don't know if I should do one or both at the same time.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

kibbissue: Did you have both done at the same time? How did you do. I had one 3/23 and the second 4/20. I wouldn't have made it doing 2 at a time! So I'm in awe of you if you made it through!

Closed Thread