It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
(female)

hmirm HB User
surgery pros/cons?

I have moderate-to-severe cts in my dominate hand (I had a nerve test). It began after I was rear-ended a year ago with my hands on the wheel. Prior to the accident I had no problems.

I've had two drs say that because it is a compression problem, not an inflammation one, that shots, physical therapy, etc won't help, and that after a year it is not likely to get better on its own. Is this true?

Surgery was strongly recommended, but I'm nervous about causing more damage by cutting the tendon. Is that tendon really "non-essential?" How common is it to have worse problems post surgery?

If I don't have the surgery, I'm worried about causing permanent nerve damage, muscle loss, etc.

I miss my pre-cts activities: yoga, playing cello and piano, etc. Right now, I feel I'm in a damned if I do/damned if I don't situation. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice that would help me make up my mind?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
(female)

lcolvin HB User
Re: surgery pros/cons?

I had surgery 10 years ago on my left wrist & 11 years old on the right. Both have been highly successful. Just check to make sure the surgeon is one that has experience with this type of surgery & his or her success rate. Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

egoprofit HB User

Pros: Instant relief of CTS

Cons: The down time, weakness, lack of dexterity, sore/tender palm, that hollow feeling of no longer having a solid palm (which i hear will go away w time)

Only do it if it affects every day of your life. Try the alternatives first, such as cold laser, massage, ultrasound, etc, regardless what the doc says. For me, CTS threatens my career, so I had no other choice but to try surgery.

In a perfect world I would have quit my job the day I realized I had CTS.

GL

Last edited by egoprofit; 04-08-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

My post op symptoms were different. I had to massage the scar and make sure not to "baby" my arm by not using it. I had surgery 3/23, cast off 3/30, 3/31 I felt so much better than the day before. Had to carefully do activities, my surgeon said some pain is normal but anything severe is a sign of overdoing it.

I am having the other hand done Wednesday. Luckily I've already done the dominant hand so the left hand should be easier.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:56 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

egoprofit HB User

Spine, or anyone else post op... have you had issues with the 'hollow palm' feeling or is it just me? I hate how my hand feels post op, but happy no CTS. I'm desperately trying to avoid ctr on my right hand. May try cortisone inj.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I've never had any palm symptoms. My surgeon's technique is a one inch incision in the palm. I'm not sure if the surgical technique can create different symptoms. There is a huge well advertised carpal tunnel physician group here, my surgeon said their endoscopic method does work but creates an equal amount of scar tissue as the "open"technique and he doesn't like the horizontal approach used. My incision was made in a natural palm crease so it wont be visible upon healing.

Explain the hollow palm feeling, is it numbness in the palm? My symptoms are primarily pain as I push through acticities and cramping during and after hand use.

For me the left hand will be done tomorrow. Since there's no anesthesia that's the one thing I worry about. The 20 seconds in which marcane is injected to numb the hand/palm is what gives me anxiety. He does allow me to take a couple Valium as long as I have a driver (in theory I can drive myself home as there is no general anesthesia and no conscious sedation such as versed via IV). The way he does it no anesthesiologist is needed and recovery room is 10 minutes. They just ask that I drink some juice and show them I'm not shaky or pale before being released as some patients simply react to being fully awake during surgery by hyperventilating or holding their breath due to pain. I'm a "hold your bresth" type response to pain but they numbed me up so well that I relaxed in the OR and nearly fell asleep! My husband insists on driving me thus I can take my own medications.

Last edited by SpineAZ; 04-19-2011 at 07:35 AM.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

egoprofit HB User

i had endoscopic release done by one of the best surgeons here in houston, after months and months of research. the 'hollow' feeling is from the fact that the transverse ligament has been cut. basically, i cannot put any pressure on my palm because it's effectively 'gone' from a physical standpoint.

my stitches:
http://www.drainweb.com/wp-content/uploads/67701_167740239903904_100000037881825_54 1954_7473195_n.jpg

i assumed this would be the case for any carpal release? after all, the surgeon is cutting the transverse ligament no matter what method is used, correct?

i lost a ton of hand strength and dexterity, maybe i should have had physical therapy. its been 6 months and my post op hand doesnt feel normal, although the cts tingling is gone...

Last edited by egoprofit; 04-19-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

My incision is very different. From your lower incision below the palm, my incision starts just above that and runs 1 inch vertically. I wonder if you have other damage? Your incision start and end points are far apart but then again yours was endoscopic.

Closed Thread