It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
(male)

Hazen357 HB User
Numbness and Pain after Cortisone Injection

I was recently diagnosed with mild carpal tunnel syndrome. I haven't been having any pain or numbness except at night when I slept. My orthopedic hand doctor advised a cortisone shot in my wrist before thinking of surgery. He sprayed some cold liquid on my wrist, then injected a local anesthetic then injected the cortisone. While he was injecting the local anesthetic I felt a painful sensation go down my hand to my index finger. I have had a local anesthetic before and know the pain it causes while being injected, this was a bit different. Ever since then, the middle of my hand to the tip of my index finger is numb as is also my ring finger, but not as bad as my index finger. For the past week, it has started to become painful. I received the cortisone injection about 5 weeks ago. I called my Dr. and talked to the nurse, and they just played if off like it was the carpal tunnel, but it wasnít like this before the injection. Has anyone else had anything similar after an injection?

Old 08-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
(male)

artemisthegreat HB User
Re: Numbness and Pain after Cortisone Injection

If the CTS only bothers you at night, then why not try sleeping with braces? Cortisone shots and surgeries have unpredictable results - You may get one or the other, and then your hand is worse than the actual CTS was!

I hope your fingers feel normal again soon, i'd stay away from surgery or further shots if i were you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
(male)

Knuckleheddd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazen357 View Post
I was recently diagnosed with mild carpal tunnel syndrome. I haven't been having any pain or numbness except at night when I slept. My orthopedic hand doctor advised a cortisone shot in my wrist before thinking of surgery. He sprayed some cold liquid on my wrist, then injected a local anesthetic then injected the cortisone. While he was injecting the local anesthetic I felt a painful sensation go down my hand to my index finger. I have had a local anesthetic before and know the pain it causes while being injected, this was a bit different. Ever since then, the middle of my hand to the tip of my index finger is numb as is also my ring finger, but not as bad as my index finger. For the past week, it has started to become painful. I received the cortisone injection about 5 weeks ago. I called my Dr. and talked to the nurse, and they just played if off like it was the carpal tunnel, but it wasnít like this before the injection. Has anyone else had anything similar after an injection?
Exactly the same thing happened to me. I think the Doc hit me wrong -- he's the only one who's ever gone in through the wrist; the others were in my palm.

I have an appointment Wednesday, April 11 to investigate further.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
(female)

momof6300 HB User

My carpal tunnel is acting up again and I have an appointment with a surgeon, but a few years back I did get a shot in the wrist - it was very very painful and, when the doctor was done with me and I was checking out in the waiting room, I almost passed out. I guess the receptionist noticed the look on my face and immediately took me back into the exam room, where I laid for at least an hour before I felt stable enough to get up. I got about 2 weeks relief from the shot - and I will never never do it again. My CT has been on and off for the better part of 10 years, now the splint at night doesn't even help. I think I'm ready for the surgery.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
(male)

Knuckleheddd HB User

Well, I went for my appointment with the neurologist and she says I have to come back for testing. Meanwhile she gave me some prednisone which really worked well last night.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
(male)

Knuckleheddd HB User

Well, I went for my appointment with the neurologist and she says I have to come back for testing. Meanwhile she gave me some prednisone which really worked well last night.

I'll keep you posted.

The Following User Says Thank You to Knuckleheddd For This Useful Post:
spdub (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
(female)

spdub HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckleheddd View Post
Exactly the same thing happened to me. I think the Doc hit me wrong -- he's the only one who's ever gone in through the wrist; the others were in my palm.

I have an appointment Wednesday, April 11 to investigate further.
The same thing happen to me last week. I been getinng cortisone injection in my wrist for 3 years and this is the first time I experience the numdness and pain in my fingers. I have an appointment next week. I cant wait to see what they say is wrong, Ill keep you posted!!

Reply Reply