It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
(female)

Exit148 HB User
Cervical exercises for Carpal Tunnel?

Since some cases of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can be traced to the cervical spine, has anyone tried exercises that loosen those bones, and so relieves the tingling in the hands/arms?

I am of an age where the spine is causing problems. I would rather try exercises, and leave the surgery, on the wrists, as a last resort.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Cervical exercises for Carpal Tunnel?

Carpal Tunnel syndrome is specific to the wrist area. Nerve conduction studies show that the nerve is compressed inside the wrist at the carpal tunnel. but the nerves to the fingers can also be compressed at the elbow and the same nerve conduction studies can show that. That is called Cupital Tunnel Syndrome. And if they are compressed up at the shoulder level, it may be a case of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, where compression is at the brachial plexus.

If the compression is at the neck, then you determine that again with nerve conduction studies and how badly they are compressed can be determined with Electromyelograhy. Exercising your neck because you have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome will not help at all. The compression is inside the wrist and not in the neck.

Anyone diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel without a nerve conduction study, may indeed not have that. That is the only way to know. They measure how fast the nerve signals travel to the fingertips and if it slows down at the wrist, then that is where the compression is. If it doesn't then you have to look higher up in the arm, all the way to the neck, to determine where the signal is getting delayed.

Had the tests, have had the surgery(CTS release) and have had 2 major cervical spine surgeries as well.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I had CT surgery since nerve tests showed I had CTS. But I've also been dealing with cervical spine issues for years. I had the CT surgery, in part, to figure out what symptoms are due to CTS and what are due to cervical spine problems.

As Jenny said, Carpal Tunnel doesn't originate from the cervical spine, but cervical spine problems and carpal tunnel syndrome can have some of the same symptoms in the wrist and hand.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
(female)

Exit148 HB User

A thanks to both of you. Good explanations! Sorry to have taken so long to get back. I did have an EMG in November and the Carpal Tunnel problem was isolated to the wrist. Since the DR. doing it didn't go all the way up the arm, I wondered if he missed something, but your explanation shows why it was not needed.

Soooooo--- I will be scheduling the surgery in a couple of weeks. Local anesthesia and home again. I'm left handed and wonder if I should have that hand done to get it over with, but I guess there is a reason to choose the dominant hand first or last, and he will let me know.

I'm lucky. My spinal stenosis is not a problem as long as I do daily back exercises and so far the other areas of the spine -- cervical and all seem OK. Wrist surgery seems so simple compared to ANY spinal surgery!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
(female)

Exit148 HB User

(I guess I clicked the wrong spot, as I don't see my earlier reply)

Thank you both for the excellent information in your answers.

I did have the EMG last November, and now I understand why the neurologist didn't go further up the arm checking the nerve signals.

Because of all the holidays and such, I wanted to wait before having surgery. That was when I wondered about spinal involvement. (too much thinking time!!)

But -- after a stress test, my Orthopedist will schedule the surgery in a week or two.

One other question -- is there any protocol for which hand to do first -- the dominant one or the other?

Old 01-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I did both at the same time...what you should NEVER do.....I was an idiot(as was my doc who suggested it).

As to dominant hand or opposite, I haven't a clue...SpineAz...do you know?

Jenny

Old 01-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I think it's all personal preference. Choosing the one that is more bothersome /painful was what my doctor suggested. I'm right hand dominant and my right hand was worse so I chose to do the right hand first.

For me the first week post-op was the worst as fingers hurt to do fine motor skills like pinching and grasping (buttons, zippers, etc). Week two was much better. My surgeon sends you home in a cast like split wrapped in an ace bandage. That came off around day 8-10 post op. I did the right hand in late March and the left hand one month later in late April. I chose to buy a light brace/glove to wear after the splint came off.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
(female)

Exit148 HB User

Both wrists, Jenny?? WOW! When someone has both TKRs, I am in awe, but both hands?! How did you ever do it?

Since both wrists are equally involved, I might just go ahead and have the dominant hand done first, unless the Dr. has other reasons. There is just my DH and myself, so I'll have it easy. I normally have cooking classes in the Spring, but had canceled them because of the possibility of moving, (we are not -- yet) But now I'm so happy I did, as I won't have that worry hanging over my head. I'm older than most, so healing is a little slower. But my time is my own, and I can spend that time doing what is needed to help the healing and flexibility. As with knee surgery, I guess the surgery is nothing compared to the recovery part.

After my TKR, in 09, I found the 'knee/hip' board very helpful. I can see that this board will be also. Thank goodness for 'HealthBoards'!!

Closed Thread