It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
(male)

dabseee HB User
carpal tunnel and ulnar nerve release

Hi,
I had a ulnar nerve release operation to my right elbow in April 2012 which failed.I have just had nerve conductivity tests done which confirm that I still have a trapped nerve in my right elbow as well as carpal tunnel syndrome in my right wrist.I am awaiting an appointment to see my surgeon but was wondering if these operations would be done jointly. If the operations are done together what would be the recovery time ? would I be in a sling and would the operation be done under local or general anasthetic. Any advice would be appreciated.Many thanks

Old 01-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
(female)

SueBee796 HB User
Re: carpal tunnel and ulnar nerve release

I have the same questions. I have bilateral carpal and cubital tunnel, but also waiting to see my neurosurgeon for cervical spine surgery. So another question of mine is will the nerves be released during neck surgery? I'm hoping it will and kind of alleviate the carpal/cubital tunnel syndrome situations.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
(female)

jet236 HB User

Dabseee,

I'm so sorry about your situation. Did the Dr. say why the ulnar nerve release operation didn't work? I'm re-cooperating from humerus surgery and believe I have ulnar nerve entrapment. I'm really afraid to have another operation.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by jet236; 01-06-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Greenemerald50 HB User

There are alternatives to surgery for carpal tunnel surgery - Anyone diagnosed with carpal tunnel needs to look into alternatives - surgery should be the very last resort when dealing with any soft tissue issue.

Last edited by mod85; 01-06-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User

It's really difficult to say how long a recovery will take for surgery , whether it is for two complications or one. So much depends on your age, the reason the surgery is necessary in the first place and your general health. For example: At age 52, I was in an automobile accident. Resulting in a damaged left ulnar nerve as well as nerve entrapement in the hand. Surgery after 6 months of PT, was under general anesthesia - as an out patient. I had ulnar nerve transposition (moving the nerve from one spot to a 'safer location' under a muscle) and Guyan's release. The later was for the nerve entrapement in the hand - I was dropping things, as the damage to ulnar from the accident was significant and did not improve with all the PT. I was off work for one month, then released to work as I felt able. It was a particularly painful recovery and rejoining the workforce was such an effort. I could only mange half days with great difficulty for a couple of weeks, until my strength caught up with the need to be at work fulltime again. My job was a desk job - not too strenuous in a normal routine. Five years later, I still have weakness in the arm and hand that needed surgery. I still have moments - many it seems - where my grip is lacking. I have learned to compensate for the change in my physical abilities. I am not crippled by any means - as not having the surgery could of sped that undesireable option up. As far as a sling goes - perhaps at first. But my PT folks discouraged the sling for my bandaged arm. I had a bandage from my second knuckle on the hand all the way to just under the arm pit. The bandage was heavy! I understand there is a risk for strain on the neck as well as jepordizing your recovery by using 'artificial means' to support your healing limb. It is so difficult to predict outcomes and the future as we all are so different. I do wish you the most speedy of all recoveries and that hopefully youth will be an advantage for you in healing. Let us know how you come along in this. All my best!

Old 02-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
(female)

PixieToes HB User

I had both surgeries (carpal tunnel and cubital tunnal) just 2 weeks ago...both on my right arm. I was never in a sling. My arm was wrapped in an ACE type bandage for the first 2 days. At my 2 week follow-up appt. yesterday, the nurse removed the stitch from my wrist. The stitches in the elbow are the dissolving type.

I was using my had (gently) the day after surgery...moving the mouse and such with my fingers. It's sore and hurts when I forget and use my arm to push myself up off the sofa or bed. The dr. said that this pain is from the actual surgery and will take a few months to ease up.

Before the surgery I had severe pain in my neck and shoulder. I still have pain in my neck but a lot of (not all) the shoulder pain is gone. I'm so glad I had this surgery!

Penny

Reply Reply