It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
(male)

prime55555 HB User
CTS EMG test

So I've had CTS for close to one year now. I had an emg today neurologist told me results were normal? I still have numb hand and fingers both hands. Are these test always 100% right? Also I have a question before I did the emg test the lady that did the test told me to put my hands inside a bowl of water. I read about the emg test online before getting it done I did read that the test aren't always right and I never read anything about having to put your hands inside a bowl of water? I'm not a neurologist, but why do they need water for the test and can the water affect the results? Thanks.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 AM   #2
(female)

blushyn HB User
Talking Re: CTS EMG test

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime55555 View Post
So I've had CTS for close to one year now. I had an emg today neurologist told me results were normal? I still have numb hand and fingers both hands. Are these test always 100% right? Also I have a question before I did the emg test the lady that did the test told me to put my hands inside a bowl of water. I read about the emg test online before getting it done I did read that the test aren't always right and I never read anything about having to put your hands inside a bowl of water? I'm not a neurologist, but why do they need water for the test and can the water affect the results? Thanks.

Hey Prime ,
I know that your original post is from a few months ago, but I was curious. Have you had another EMG or any other opinions? How are your symptoms now?

I had an EMG and such quite a few years ago that showed severe in both hands, however I had just had a baby then and learned that pregnancy can aggrevate symptoms. At that tme I then had fiberglass splints molded to my arms that I was to wear 30 days straight day and night ...not to be removed. My CTS went away, disappeared for 10 years.

It is back. I waited and put off going in just wearing velcro splints and taking a lot of ibuprofin. Well mine were very bad (more often the right because I'm right handed, but the left always follows) My. EMG a few weeks ago showed severe on the right and normal on the left, which is pure baloney (I am no Dr or Tech.....and I do not totally know what it is measuring) but I do know my left side symptoms were right up there with the other side!

So they went ahead and did surgery on the right with no plans for the left.

BTW, they did not use water with my test...besides a damp washcloth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User
Re: CTS EMG test

CTS can also get bad again around menopause. I find the fiberglass splints strange, but I guess they could work. I would think you shouldn't have water around electricity. EMGs are electrical impulses. Weird. Aleve is the OTC version of Naprosyn, which I've been on many times for CTS. Also, eating fresh pineapple seems to help. It's funny, but I don't notice when I eat the pineapple, but a couple of days after my pineapple is all gone I notice extra pain, then I remember that I haven't eaten any recently. Also, posture, posture, posture. What I'm guessing is that when you sit and stand properly, everything inside you is aligned perfectly and therefore can work better.

Reply Reply