HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/carpal-tunnel-syndrome/)
-   -   carpal tunnel surgery (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/carpal-tunnel-syndrome/933177-carpal-tunnel-surgery.html)

bethpage36 12-27-2012 04:47 PM

carpal tunnel surgery

i will need to have this surgery in the near future.I have no nerve damage.I know there are two different ways of doing this surgery, through a small cut and a scope and a large cut in the plam of the hand. Any thought on these surgeries and the recovery time and results?

loz1804 12-29-2012 11:30 AM

Re: carpel tunnel surgery

I have just had carpel tunnel surgery 15 days ago with the large cut, Apart from a bit of soreness and can't yet put pressure on my hand everything else is fine, can use my hand ok, and my scar has healed great,
This is my first post as I am a newbie, but thought hey ho why not try to put someone else's mind at rest,
PS have it done by local its better,
regards
Loz

WildRose AB 12-29-2012 01:52 PM

I will be needing this surgery in the new year. How long is recovery?

loz1804 12-29-2012 01:56 PM

Hi,
I am back to doing normal light work really after 2 weeks, was just told to take it steady and under no circumstances lift anything heavy, takes 4/6 mths for full recovery and use, having my other hand done soon,

bethpage36 12-29-2012 02:25 PM

[QUOTE=loz1804;5110137]I have just had carpel tunnel surgery 15 days ago with the large cut, Apart from a bit of soreness and can't yet put pressure on my hand everything else is fine, can use my hand ok, and my scar has healed great,
This is my first post as I am a newbie, but thought hey ho why not try to put someone else's mind at rest,
PS have it done by local its better,
regards
Loz[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by have it done by local?

loz1804 12-30-2012 02:12 AM

By pain block injection in your hand, and be awake for the surgery, I can not have general ( asleep) as I suffer with severe sleep apneoa,

bethpage36 12-30-2012 08:20 AM

what do you mean by local?

Cgcmo2 02-08-2013 07:01 PM

Re: carpal tunnel surgery

I had my first hand, my dominant hand, was done in October and has been 100% functional after about 6 weeks! I had my second hand done 8 days ago and it's healing great! I chose the large incision in the palm, I believe it is more accurate. It allows the doctor to see what he is cutting.

metalzombie 02-14-2013 09:57 AM

I had this done, as well as tendonitis in my thumb taken care of about 10 years ago in my main hand. It was the long incision with a local and I really didn't have a choice in techniques then. It healed well and am very glad I did the surgery. I did have some slight nerve damage, so I became ambidextrous since my other hand is stronger.

joggies476 02-16-2013 10:00 PM

[QUOTE=bethpage36;5109512]i will need to have this surgery in the near future.I have no nerve damage.I know there are two different ways of doing this surgery, through a small cut and a scope and a large cut in the plam of the hand. Any thought on these surgeries and the recovery time and results?[/QUOTE]

Will they do surgery if there's no nerve damage? My hand surgeon said he wouldn't, and after my last round of wrist injections, he said the nerve damage was not very much on my wrists. Obviously this was good news, and I have less pain since the injections helped considerably, but the problem keeps coming back and is annoying to have to keep going through this.

Could be that I just have bad health insurance too.

benkam 02-19-2013 04:32 PM

i had both ways and i prefer the small cut. i had a block for that and pain at all.

jocelyn7035 03-11-2013 01:15 AM

Studies have been made that it may take about 10months to recover after Carpal Tunnel surgery and also patients do reach the stage of maximum improvement.

benkam 03-21-2013 01:29 PM

after having 3 carpal tunnel op I now know it is a full 12 months before you reach full strengh. I am back to gardenning properly. i can pick up anything and every thi ngnow rest

Shana74 03-12-2014 05:49 AM

I had surgery in my dominant hand two weeks ago as I have severe carpal tunnel. I still have tenderness/soreness in my palm and wrist as well as pain in the top side base of my thumb. Is this normal after surgery? Has anyone else experienced this?

Helpineed 06-24-2014 03:01 PM

Yes i do to and got large lump on left side of scar and cant hold pots and pans dont know what to do might get second opion on my surgery. Its been 12 weeks and i need other hand done to but dont know what to do now since i got the problems with this hand that was done. What kind of surgurng does these?