It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
(female)

UpInArms HB User
Too Old?

I was diagnosed with CTS about 5 years ago, and continue to suffer with the episodes of numbness, and burning pain, that commonly occur in the wee hours of the morning with this dreaded affliction. The orthopedic doctor said it was too late to do surgery, that I had it for too long for surgery to help. I never got a second opinion, but now, even if I did, has anyone heard if such surgery is possible for an 83 year old woman?

Thanks for any light shared.

Last edited by UpInArms; 04-23-2013 at 11:21 PM. Reason: clarity

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
(female)

Nu2This HB User
Re: Too Old?

I suffered with CTS in my rt. hand for 7 years and all but lost the use of my thumb. Also got CTS in the left hand trying to compensate for the right. I had the surgery on both and have had no problems since. I was younger than you (mid-40's), but I would advise you to get a second opinion as, unless you have other health issues to consider, your age should not be a factor with this type of simple surgery. Good luck...I know the pain you are going through. Keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
(female)

UpInArms HB User

I appreciate your response Nu!

I met with my heart doctor on Monday, and he saw no problem with me undergoing the surgery If I elected to have it.
From what I understand, there are two kinds, Bi Lateral Open Release surgery, and stitchless endoscopic.
In the event a second opinion finds I actually would benefit from the surgery, a less invasive option would certainly be preferred, but are there any opinions, or experiences on the pro's or cons of each?

Thanks again!

Last edited by UpInArms; 05-01-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User

IS 83 too old? I doubt it. Is this what you want to put up for with the rest of your life? I'd get the second opinion. The open surgery works better from what I've read, but the endoscopic may work for you. Go For It!!!! You want to have strength in your hands. You may want to try hand stretching exercises and see if they help.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:47 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User

My mother had endoscopic CT release done when she was 74. She just turned 83. She didn't have any problems post release.

Taimse

Reply Reply