It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User
Endoscopic release done on 4/4

I had an endoscopic release done of the 4th along with a radial nerve decompression done in the elbow area. The carpal tunnel area has been doing well. The scar area is sore- Scar has healed, and then the skin peeled away.When I lean on it (like when using the mouse) it gets really sore). Also getting some other random pains. There is some other minor swelling right above the incision. It is stiff in the morning when I wake up. I see the doctor again on the 30th. Does this sound about where I should be? The elbow is a different story- it is sore, the scar puffs up when I do to much, he said no lifting over 10 pounds and I am trying to be careful, but it is hard.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
(female)

BurtG HB User
Re: Endoscopic release done on 4/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggietaz View Post
I had an endoscopic release done of the 4th along with a radial nerve decompression done in the elbow area. The carpal tunnel area has been doing well. The scar area is sore- Scar has healed, and then the skin peeled away.When I lean on it (like when using the mouse) it gets really sore). Also getting some other random pains. There is some other minor swelling right above the incision. It is stiff in the morning when I wake up. I see the doctor again on the 30th. Does this sound about where I should be? The elbow is a different story- it is sore, the scar puffs up when I do to much, he said no lifting over 10 pounds and I am trying to be careful, but it is hard.
Hi Maggietaz,
I had carpal endoscopic release done on the 7th march and yes what you are describing has been the same for me. The stiff hand has ceased for me now when I wake up in the morning, but the hardness in the pain still remains but gets better with massage. Up until a week ago the over using etc causes pain you still have to be careful for some time after the release my surgeon says up to 12 months it can take some people
I week ago I also hand ulna shortening done on the same arm so carpal tunnel release controlled by split.
Are you having therapy still for your hand ? As they say that makes a better recovery.

The Following User Says Thank You to BurtG For This Useful Post:
maggietaz (05-01-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

Hi Burt
Thanks for the response. Have now been going to hand therapy and that is helping some, but was out of town all last week and the scar built up some tissue around it and got sort of hard, so she had to loose that up today, the whole hand was really sore, but it wa a really long week! How is your arm doing?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
(female)

freeqgirl HB User

I had carpal tunnel release a few years ago and what you are describing seems perfectly normal. The scar tissue area will be tender for quite sometime. I don't have any idea on the elbow thing though, sorry. Its been almost 5 years since mine and although I don't have the pain in the middle of the night or the numbness anymore, my wrists still tend to get sore for over use and I find that they are not as strong as they once were.

I hope that this is not the same for you once you are fully recovered. I didn't have any therapy afterwards either though.

Best of luck to you! <3

Old 05-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #5
(female)

BurtG HB User
Smile Re: Endoscopic release done on 4/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggietaz View Post
Hi Burt
Thanks for the response. Have now been going to hand therapy and that is helping some, but was out of town all last week and the scar built up some tissue around it and got sort of hard, so she had to loose that up today, the whole hand was really sore, but it wa a really long week! How is your arm doing?
Hi Maggietaz,

it has now been three weeks from having ulna shortening and wearing a splint and finding my hand were carpal release was done has got harder and because I can not move my wrist I think it is making it worse. But I know this will get better once the splint comes off in 4 to 6 weeks. When I am just sitting at night I take my splint off and use my heat bag which helps ease the hand. How is your elbow area healing ? Did they cut through your palm or just on the wrist ? Mine was just on the wrist.

I have just had the Emg test conducted on my left wrist for carpal tunnel and also for ulna impact syndrome and find out next week if I get both surgery's done hoping only one. So looking forward to getting back to normal with my arms and start doing the things I enjoy in life.
Kind regards
BurtG

Old 05-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User

You don't want to get scar tissue. I didn't know how much time to go in between having both of my hands done and so decided on 3 months back in 2005. By 2009 I needed to have my right hand done again. I had full blown CTS with numbness and pain. This time I was more careful, had a better surgeon and massaged the area not long after surgery and (knock on wood) so much better. One thing my PT told me that really helps with some everyday things - wear weight lifting gloves. I do this when I drive. IT may help when you use the mouse. It cushions the area so it doesn't put pressure on it. Or put a rolled up towel under your hand when you use the mouse.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

I have been sending the PT person twice a week. The scar tissue was bad last week as I had been out of town for a week, but after two visits this week it is much better. I just had the small incision by my wrist. If I am not careful my whole lower arm gets tight, but could be from the combination of both surgeries.
Burt, the elbow area is doing okay- the therapist has been taping ( with Keniseo tape) both areas and this does seem to help. I see the doctor on Tuesday. I still don't have great grip strength and the pain in the forearm is finally feeling like it might be better, but I have not worked on any strengthening exercises yet- so for me the jury is still out!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

I saw the hand surgeon yesterday and he thought things were looking good. I asked him about the pain in the forearm still and the lack of strength overall and he said that this was about the time that we could start to work on the strengthening. Guess I just am inpatient to see some change. He said the pain in the forearm is still normal at this point and should start to go away. He said that will have to be careful when strengthening in therapy as if we go to fast it will set me back. I am set to see him again in four weeks.

Reply Reply