It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013, 05:27 AM   #1
(female)

Harmony Mills HB User
Unhappy failed outcome

I was diagnosed with a really severe case of carpal tunnel syndrome about 8 months ago. Dr. said it was the worst he had ever seen but, oddly enough, I had NO symptoms - only pronounced deterioration of the muscle and collapse of the thumb pad. There was fear that I would lose the use of my hand so I agreed to the surgery. Remember I said I had no symptoms before the surgery. . .now 5 months later my thumb and two fingers are completely numb and I'm headed for my first physical therapy appointment to see if anything can be done to help me regain the functional use of my hand! Not a happy outcome. Good luck to all of you who are considering surgery.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
(female)

volleyball2 HB Uservolleyball2 HB User
Question Re: failed outcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony Mills View Post
I was diagnosed with a really severe case of carpal tunnel syndrome about 8 months ago. Dr. said it was the worst he had ever seen but, oddly enough, I had NO symptoms - only pronounced deterioration of the muscle and collapse of the thumb pad. There was fear that I would lose the use of my hand so I agreed to the surgery. Remember I said I had no symptoms before the surgery. . .now 5 months later my thumb and two fingers are completely numb and I'm headed for my first physical therapy appointment to see if anything can be done to help me regain the functional use of my hand! Not a happy outcome. Good luck to all of you who are considering surgery.
I am sorry you had to go through so much and continue to be in pain now. I am in your position now. No pain but very bad carpal tunnel. My 2 fingers are numb at the tips.
I am seeing my neuroligist/surgeon (it is late and I can't spell) on Wednesday and if he wants to operate I feel like I would like at least like to discuss your case with him, if that that is aright.
Thank you for sharing
Diana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User
Re: failed outcome

Harmony Mills,
Didn't you do PT right after your surgery? (like 2-3 weeks after?) Did you massage the incision area tro keep from having scar tissue under it? I had CTS surgery on both hands in 2005. Unfortunately I didn't realize that 3 months isn't enough time for my right hand to heal before doing all the work of my left hand when that was done. I had scar tissue as a result and full blown CTS again on my right hand. I had a second operation on it in 2009 and still have feeling in it. While I'm thinking of doing cold laser therapy for pain that is coming back, I feel like my second surgery was a success. I'm guessing you could have scar tissue that is causing CTS again. Get another EMG test and see what that shows. Good luck and keep us posted.

Reply Reply