It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
(male)

Acromion HB User
Question Help, Frozen shoulder and now wrist pain

I tried posting this in the rotator cuff message board but i guess this is a better place for it.....

I have had mild, right (dominant arm) rotator cuff tendonitis for some years now. About 6-8 months ago it got alot worse when i injured my right shoulder and then I did the wrong thing which was to rest the arm and not use it so much. This had worked for me in the past with minor bouts of inflammation but this time resting and not moving was the wrong thing to do and, before i knew what was happening, the shoulder was painfully frozen and after 6 weeks of failed PT i just recieved my steroid injection 2 weeks ago and what a difference that made (pain wise).

So now I am just getting out of the acute, painful phase of adhesive capsulitis but another problem is plaguing me. My wrist/hand/thumb has been hurting me (sometimes quite severely) for about a month. Last week i started observing my arm and hand in action and I can see that my hand problems are stemming from all the twisting and contorting I have to do with my right hand to compensate for my lack of right shoulder mobility (the shoulder is severely frozen).

Ordinarily reaching around past the midline and above waist level involves swinginig that elbow out from your body a bit which my shoulder will not allow. Additionally, actions like pulling up pants require the elbow swing back which i also cannot yet do. In order to compensate for this lack of mobility i have been, for quite some time i guess, over extending/flexing my wrist and digits. Again, this is my dominant hand. My surgeon wanted to see if the shoulder injection might help with the hand pain before referring me to a hand surgeon. It has not.

Does anyone have any experience with frozen shoulders leading to hand and wrist problems of this type and any helpful hints they would like to put forward? I now splint the wrist at night but i am not keen about splinting it during the day even though that helps with the pain and tingling and more importantly, stops me from bending the wrist around to do things like tie the string on my pyjamas and reach into my right pocket.

Also i am having a lot of muscle fatigue in my hand and on the pinky side of my forearm in the area of the extensor carpi ulnaris and extensor digiti minimi muscles. no loss in hand strength just fatigue
Thanks in advance for peoples advice,

Acromion

The following user gives a hug of support to Acromion:
pcb123 (07-27-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
arm, frozen shoulder, hand, rotator cuff, wrist pain