It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2004, 05:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Question celiac disease...what is it?

Hello everyone, I've gotten wonderful help from this board before, so I am hoping there is someone out there with info. on Celiac Disease. My daughter has tested positive for it. We see the Dr. in a couple of weeks. Is it anything serious? Any info. would be appreciated.--Lorie

Old 03-13-2004, 07:17 AM   #2
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Re: celiac disease...what is it?

It is an allergy to gluten. Wheat,oats,rye and barley have gluten and need to be avoided. The disease causes malabsorption by damaging the lining of the small intestine, damage caused by the immune system as it creates an inflammatory response to the gluten protein who have become allergic to it. This disorder also causes hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), diarrhea,skin rashes,canker sores in the mouth, slowing of growth in children, and autoimmine diseases including diabetes and thyroid disease.

When gluten is removed celiac disease resolves.

Buckwheat,quinona, amaryenth, (spelling is wrong), and brown rice are gluten free and those grains can be eaten. Many of these grains can be bought in health food stores. Many of them carry gluten free products like cookies, pasta etc... Good Luck to you and your daughter!!!

I would also have her checked for anemia if she hasn't been already!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2004, 08:15 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

Hi there I'v been on the diet for one month now and, I'v had an accident last weekend..It's very dificult to know exactly what foods we can eat, make sure you trust the sources, call them and, ask them questions. Once you know what you can eat in your diet, make sure you eat the same foods everyday. Don't add nothing else to your body unless your sure at 100%..

also check everything else..
medications may contain gluten
tooth paste
chewing gum
lipsticks

everything must be safe, once you know what you need to feel at your best, maintianing it for life is reguired...

I am a celiac and, was recently diagnosed (4 weeks ago)

Last edited by Losec20mg; 03-13-2004 at 08:22 AM.

Old 03-13-2004, 08:33 AM   #4
(female)

Tasha2003 HB User

Once you start going by the diet, you start reversing the damage, so the diet is key. There are people who are extremely sensitve to the least little thing (ie cosmetics etc) and there are those in between. But compliance is pretty much required.
I would say (and My Mom has this so I know about this) get her some literature, get her to a support group, get some cookbooks and recipes. There is a good list of foods (forbidden and not) at Celiac.com and there are some good Internet message boards out there.

Though the diet is tricky, it isn't so horrible. Many restaurants are beginning to offer wheat/gluten free menus, and you have more choices than before. I have to say, things could be much worse and since I have a huge chance of ending up with this very thing, I might as well keep up with all the research!

Last edited by moderator4; 03-13-2004 at 09:30 PM.

Old 03-13-2004, 10:24 AM   #5

Lisa43017 HB User

Also you & your husband might want to be tested and any other close relatives. It usually runs in families and can show up even if you don't have symptoms. Good luck with the diet! It can be some work, but gets easier when you get used to it.

Old 03-13-2004, 02:29 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

diet:

GF free cereals
eggs boiled or scrambled
omlette
GF toast
rice cakes from natural sources
banana
yogurt with fruits inside is ok
some cheese (kraft)
coffee

rice pasta with suace
rice (uncle bens)
fruits veggies
meats ( not processed could contain wheat)
V8 from cambells
juice 100% pure
dried raisins
GF cookies
apple sauce
milk
ice cream (vanila)
cottage cheese
baby carottes
caneed veggies (read the labels)
caned fruits ( read the labels ) del monte are safe
peanut butter 100% pure..
jams pure ( read the labels )
olives ( read the labels )
7 up
coke
juices 100% pure ( minute maid or tropicana )
kraft slices

there are more stuff but, make sure you read the labels and, bring with you your hand book for ingedients

Mario..

Old 03-13-2004, 05:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Thumbs up Re: celiac disease...what is it?

Thank you all so much...Your support and info. has been tremendous. I am going to start a list of do's and dont's for foods. Losec20mg--thanks for starting the list for me.

Lorie

Old 03-13-2004, 09:29 PM   #8
(female)

Tasha2003 HB User

There are some really good cookbooks out there too, and having a bread machine is a nice idea because you can use the recipes to bake your own breads with rice flour etc.
I really enjoy my Mom's gluten free muffins, and breads and cookies!

Last edited by moderator4; 03-13-2004 at 09:34 PM.

Old 03-14-2004, 05:32 AM   #9
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Even though these may be gluten free choices doesn't make them healthy or nutritious. I wouldn't even bother eating any of the dairy as pasteurization kills the enzyme that is needed to absorb it. Pasturizing makes milk a dead product with no enzymes. Canned fruits and veggies have many of the nutrients killed through the high temps of cooking them. Go with Fresh...If someone has celiac disease they are already not absorbing the nutrients that they need so I would be sure to add as much fresh to ensure it being more nutritious. Peanut butter I would make sure that it is organic due to hydrogenated oils that are present and GM peanuts. Soda has a high potassium content that robs you of vitamins and minerals, I would skip them as well as the highly processed juices. Why not make your own with a juicer, it is much healthier and nutritious for you. Give your daughter a chance through proper nutrition, teach her healthy eating habits now so that when she is an adult she won't have any other health problems.

Last edited by girlygirly; 03-15-2004 at 03:28 AM.

Old 03-14-2004, 11:24 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Lightbulb Re: celiac disease...what is it?

Great idea. Is rice flour bought at health food stores or the reg. grocery store? Also, is it used in the same measurements as reg. flour? I haven't used my bread machine in a while. I will get it out today. Thanks, Lorie

Last edited by moderator4; 03-14-2004 at 08:48 PM.

Old 03-14-2004, 01:59 PM   #11
(female)

Tasha2003 HB User

Lorie: Mom buys her products at Whole Foods Market, and/or Wild Oats. Gluten free is becoming more popular and even certain restaurants are now offering GF menus (Ie PF Changs).
I cannot help you with the substitutions, I hope someone who has Celiac will chime in here, but I just want you to know there are lots of options. The hard thing is learning to read labels, and then of course traveling or whatever, when you need to take special things with you.

When I remember the name of one of the more famous cookbooks, I will post it here for you. Also feel free to write anytime. I am trying to stay up on all of this, since I have such a great chance of having it myself.
Btw, have you been tested? It's not a bad idea to have the blood test, just to make sure you dont have it too.

Last edited by moderator4; 03-14-2004 at 08:53 PM.

Old 03-14-2004, 02:09 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

the proper way to get tested is by endoscopy and, taking a small biopsy of the villi..thats what they did with me..I buy my stuff at lowblaws they have everything you need..i don't know if you're familiar with this store..there's one about two miles from my home..

Old 03-14-2004, 08:03 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: celiac disease...what is it?

Thank you both, I have not been tested yet, but I plan on it now. Also, my daughter had an endoscopy and biopsy done last week and we are waiting for the results. I just know the Gastro. said he took biopsies of her esaphagusm stomache and intestine areas. I don't know if that means they did one of the villi... actually I don't know where or what that is (excuse my ignorance) I will keep you all posted of the results and will check back for any new info.

Lorie

Old 03-14-2004, 08:28 PM   #14
(female)

Tasha2003 HB User

Though the biopsy is the definitive test, for some people (like me, who have it in the family) one positive batch of blood tests would be plenty enough. I've read that the blood test is just a very very good way to check with-in families, especially since biopsies are invasive tests, and not always easy to get the Insurance to pay for.

Last edited by moderator4; 03-14-2004 at 08:57 PM.

Old 03-14-2004, 09:06 PM   #15
Inactive

shue HB User

What kind of tests did the doc do for this? I have been wondering about my autistic daughter. We just did some bloodwork, but i had not heard of this disorder prior to having it done and now I am wondering if she was screened for it. I know it is fairly uncommon.
Good luck with the diet. From what I understand, you should experience some relief almost immediately.

Closed Thread