It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2004, 01:10 PM   #1

BeachGuy HB User
Celiac Disease

Ok, I swear I am not a complete hypochondriac. I actually received positive blood tests for Celiac's disease, which shares many common symptoms as lyme's disease. Not sure how I ended up getting positive results for both of these. This combined with my labral tear and surgery, as well as my misaligned vertabrae is all really starting to get to my head. There's so much going on, I am not sure what to do. Part of me is scared to get this shoulder surgery, because I feel like it will attract lymes to the general area. As for the celiac, I am not suppose to eat anything with Gluten for a while. I have no idea what gluten is or how to figure out what foods have it?
Can anyone offer any advice.?

Old 03-30-2004, 11:15 AM   #2
Inactive

Komondor HB User
Re: Celiac Disease

You are not a hypochondriac at all. There is a web site out there that will answer any question you have about Lyme. Keep searching.

I know what you are talking about but cannot explain the gluten thing as I am terrible at explaining things. Many people have this problem and problems with yeast.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2005, 08:57 AM   #3
(male)

Grozny HB User
Re: Celiac Disease

This may help you find info on gluten-free products -- it's in just about anything that comes from grain (wheat, rye, etc.). It's from Yahoo, but when I posted the URL it hid half of it...

Definition
Celiac disease, usually first seen in childhood, involves an intolerance to gluten. Gluten is the protein component in wheat, oats, rye and barley. The cause is not understood; it may involve an immune factor or an inherited mucosal defect. Diagnosis is made by intestinal biopsy and blood work.

The disease can cause the destruction of the intestinal villi (tiny hair-like projections on the interior surface of the small intestine) following the ingestion of gluten-containing products. The results can be a decrease in the absorption of sugars, fat and protein. This causes abnormal stools, due to the fermentation of undigested carbohydrates and excessive amounts of fat in the stool.

If untreated, affected people may show signs of malnutrition: weight loss, growth failure, muscle wasting, peripheral neuritis and prolonged bleeding times.

Alternative Names
Gluten-free diet; Gluten sensitive enteropathy - diet; Celiac sprue - diet

Food Sources
Fruits and vegetables, meat and fish are good sources of calories for people with celiac disease. Avoid food that are processed and prepared without knowing what they contain and how they were prepared.

Recommendations

Therapy is to eliminate all gluten from the diet. This diet must be followed indefinitely. Strict adherence presents a challenge because gluten may be in the form of additives as a stabilizer or emulsifier. Corticosteroids and water-soluble multivitamins may be prescribed.

Some of the foods that should be avoided if gluten enteropathy is diagnosed include bread, crackers, buns, biscuits, graham crackers, wafers, pancakes, cones, matzo, macaroons, cakes, cookies, dumplings, doughnuts, pretzels, pie crust, rolls, wheat germ, cereals, oatmeal, chili, some meat loaves, gravies, cream sauce, breaded foods, macaroni, lasagna, noodles, spaghetti, vermicelli, ravioli, and stuffing for turkey or chicken.

Some foods which do NOT contain gluten include puffed rice, grits, Chinese rice noodles and some of the gluten-free bakery goods prepared or sold at health food stores. Tapioca flour, corn starch, corn flour, potato flour, cornmeal, and rice flour can be used for thickening gravy and for baking. Combining flours usually makes a better product.

Be aware that although some products do not include gluten in their ingredients, they may share production lines with gluten-containing products.

There are also numerous foods that may contain gluten that may not be readily apparent, so label reading is important. Some examples of non-cereal foods that may contain gluten are: commercial chocolate milk, cocoa mixes, commercial salad dressings, non dairy creamers, commercial seasoned rice mixes, commercial candies, white vinegar and many others.

A Registered Dietitian can provide in-depth consultation and support regarding the diet therapy. A celiac disease - support group may also be helpful.

Last Reviewed: 12/2/2001 by Poune Saberi, M.D., M.P.H., Family Practice and Community Medicine. University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Phila******a, PA. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.

Last edited by Grozny; 05-03-2005 at 08:59 AM. Reason: modified URL

Closed Thread