It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2004, 07:00 AM   #1

PETALS HB User
Unhappy (Anemia/Celiac Disease/Cancer.) This scares me!!!

Within the last two weeks I have had both scopes ran. The doctors were trying to find the source of my anemia. I also suffered unknown cause of siezures(non epi). What they found was I have Celiac disease.This is a digestive disease that damages the small intestine and interferes with absorbtion of nutrients from food. I can not tolerate a protien called Gluten,which is found in wheat rye ,barley, and possibly oats. The only treatment to control this is to stay completely away from wheat etc. Treatment is important because people w/celiac diesase could develop complications like cancer, osteoporosis, anemia and seizures. This scares me.!! My motivation is my 3 children and family members.
Let me know if any one else is familar with this disease.

Thanks
Petals!!!

Old 07-26-2004, 04:44 PM   #2
(female)

fotolady001 HB User
Re: (Anemia/Celiac Disease/Cancer.) This scares me!!!

I have 2 cousins that have the Celiac disease. They were really sick before it was finally diagnosed. You not only have to be careful to stay away from the wheat, barley, etc....you have to also be careful of sauces and other processed foods. My cousin Tami checks all labels and I think that she has a book that tells her specific brands of things that she can use. They make some pretty tasty things using rice flour also....good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2004, 07:12 PM   #3

dona129 HB User

Petals....first off thanks for answering my post on anemia....

I am somewhat familar with Gluten Intolerance or Celiac Diasease....

I came up negative luckily.....But ....take comfort in the fact that ...those I know who have been diagnosed....are so much healthier and generally feel so much better,,,,,

Also go online....there are websites with literally hundreds of products...that are gluten free.....There are alot of people who have this....

Instead of cookies with flour the have cookies with oatmeal...one brand is Country Choice....the chocolate chip are Wonderful....But like all foods with a special nature.....they are more expensive...

When I thought i might have celiac....i found a local store that specialized in our suburban town....and they have support groups....and share recipes etc....

Our son was diagnosed at 19 he's now 20 with type one diabetes...it's a shock....but he is dealing with the hand that was dealt....So I can relate to your new lifestyle you must embark on....take care.....
Donna

Last edited by dona129; 07-27-2004 at 07:14 PM.

Old 07-28-2004, 05:36 AM   #4

PETALS HB User

Thank-you For Responding,
It's True, The Unknown Is Scary. The Day After I Was Told About Celiac, I Went To The Store To Load Up On "my Food." I Was Suprized To Find Out How Many Products Have Wheat,etc. I Thought Corn Flakes Would Be Safe, But I Was Wrong. It Has Malt Flavoring. Today I Am Going To Try A Store(trader Joe's). I Know They Carry All Kinds Of Specialty Foods. I Am A Bread Eater,so I Hope To Find The Potato Bread, And Buckwheat Foods. Is Any One Familar W/buckwheat? My List Of Foods Say That I Can Have This. To Me I Thought It Would Be Off Limits.

Thanks
Petals

Old 08-06-2004, 07:06 PM   #5

PETALS HB User

Thanks also Donna 129,
I feel much better now that I know to stay away from gluten. I'm not as bloated and stuffy feeling.I checked out a web site under yahoo health(celiac disease). It did state complications of the CD are Lymphoma and adenocarinoma." They are types of cancer that can develop in the intestine." I was ? on another site pertaining to this. Was your family member told this. If I remember right, my doctor touched on the subject.
I know why I'm anemic, because not absorbing the nutrients. I'm going to start iron injection Thursday.
thanks, petals

Closed Thread