It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2004, 11:27 AM   #1
(female)

starlet32079 HB User
IBS-d or Celiac Disease?

Hi all-I am 25 and have IBS-d since i was about 15. I am also always in the bathroom 10 + per day. I was wondering if any of you have been checked for Celiac Disease? It has alot of the same symptoms of IBS-d.
Symptoms include:
diarrhea, abdominal pain, weakness/fatigue, and so on. The doctor takes a blood test for gluten antibodies and if it comes back abnormal they do an endoscopy to see if the villi in your small intestines are flattened(when the villi in you intestines are flattened your body does not absorb the nutrients from your food-instead it just goes right through you). If they are then you have celiac disease. Gluten is found in wheat, barley, oats...so you would have to go on a special diet. It definatley is worth getting checked. There is no cure for it either but with the help of a nutritionist you will be able to keep your symptoms in check.
I was checked and the blood test was abnormal so I had the endoscopy and that came back negitive.

Last edited by starlet32079; 08-17-2004 at 11:56 AM. Reason: To change the title

Old 08-17-2004, 10:31 PM   #2

ShatteredLife2 HB User
Re: Celiac Disease?

My spouse has this very same problem, she has IBS and the food just goes right through her immediately! Really odd! I didn't know what was wrong with her. She had to have her Gallbladder removed recently also, it was poisoning her system and she nearly died from a misdiagnoses. They managed to save her though which is really good! Good luck with your health problems, so many people are very sick with no medical care in sight anytime soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2004, 08:56 AM   #3

roxyk HB User

I have celiac disease. My father has it also & at first they thought it was IBS. They are treated differently. If you tested positive on the blood test & neg on the biopsy it does NOT mean you don't have it. I have been on the gluten free diet for 8 weeks & feel GREAT!!!!! no more dashing to the bathroom, upset stomachs - NOTHING unless I eat gluten.

Old 08-23-2004, 10:04 AM   #4
(female)

starlet32079 HB User

I feel like all of the doctors I am seeing must be doing me a disservice. They tell and give me misinsormation. I guess maybe it's time for a new doctor

Old 08-26-2004, 05:47 PM   #5

Frustrated1 HB User

Interestingly enoughthis sounds like the same porblem I had. I could not eat any thing wheat based. I went to a doctor who said it was a viral infection and gave me Flagyl. I was still having problems and had a blood test taken which provided "inconclusive" I had elevated antibodies IgA but normal IgG
(if memory serves) Then, I had a endoscopy and it was found to be negative.I then changed my diet and took all wheat based items out and it worked miracles. My diaherra went away and I felt better. I tried bringing the wheat back in and many of the symptons reappeared. Good Luck, I would definitely get a second opinion if you are not getting service or the symptoms persist.

Closed Thread