It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2004, 06:37 AM   #1
Veteran

bullun HB User
Celiac Disease and no ice cream?!

I've been experimenting eliminating gluten from my diet, but recently heard from someone that there are things in certain ice creams that could be contaminated with gluten. Is this true?

I noted on other posts that people mentioned having Vanilla Ice Cream as being OK.

Can someone fill me in on their experiences with Celiac and avoiding ice cream or certain types?

Thanks,
Dana

Old 10-14-2004, 08:17 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: Celiac Disease and no ice cream?!

yeah that was me..im a celiac and doing really well..you can eat just about anything you want..like fro ice cream i have the Nestle..or Hagen daz..there are so many..but, to be more safe about it call the companies and, ask them..and, ask them about the cross contamination...i make it a rule of having ice cream once a week..(weekends)..

ok bye..

ask more questions if you like..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2004, 10:32 AM   #3
Veteran

bullun HB User

Thanks for your reply. I'm still trying to figure out if I'm just lactose intolerant, gluten intolerant, or both!

May I inquire when you first discovered your Celiac Disease? I read that its inhereited, but I imagine there are others who have it without a genetic connection (that they're aware of).

What was the onset of your symptoms?

Thanks,
Dana

Old 10-14-2004, 11:32 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

ok, my symptoms..i had alot..

diareeha
acid reflux
nausea
loosing wieght
depressed
anxiety
suicidal
shortness of breath
very tired
loosing my hair
gleu ear
constipation
no appetite
irritability
etc...

heh this stuff was killing..but, now im a new man..gained lots of weight(cuz I was under weight)..im very positive..my stools are excelent..everything is perfect my health has never been like this...
If you follow your diet at 100% you will be able to take your milk again..the more you follow your diet, the more sensitive you will become...but, the healthier you will be.. Don't get discouraged you have lots to eat..just watch your sugar intake..

bye..

ask more questions..i know alot..

Old 10-14-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
Veteran

bullun HB User

Did your symptoms just seemingly progress over time?

Mine have struck about 2 months ago, with abdominal cramping after eating breakfast. Just curious if everyone else has such a sudden onset of symptoms.

Old 10-14-2004, 01:17 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

well i pretty much had depression for a long time..and, all those other symptoms..but, my big symtpoms were diareeha and, loosing weight..2lbs a week..and, that went on for like..three months..i looked very sick and, my family told me to go get checked out.. they did all the tests on me and, told me six weeks later that i had celiacs..so i changed all my food and, started the diet and, 1 week later..i started to look and, feel different right away..heh
I guess we are what we eat and, feel what we eat, aswell...take care

ttysoon..
bye

Old 10-14-2004, 09:05 PM   #7
(female)

krisdance83 HB User

Hi there,
Losec, I had the blood test for Celiac and it came back negative. Yet I have a friend who told me that she was negative w/ the blood test and later positive w/ the biopsy. Do you know anything about how accurate the blood test is?
I'm still feeling very sick: I have nausea, some diarrhea, abdominal bloating, headaches, tiredness, shortness of breath, anxiety, sudden hot flashes, etc. It is getting out of hand. I don't have my consultation w/ the GI doc until November 5th so do you think I should suggest Celiac or do you think I don't have it since the blood test came back negative. Is it very accurate? Thanks so much.

Old 10-15-2004, 07:46 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

celiac is very hard to find...but, the symptoms you have are pretty much related...the biopsy is more acurate...its your duodenum, the doc takes a biopsy from that..he might take a biopsy where it shows no damage..resulting in negative...IMHO/ you should give the diet a try if you feel better then keep on eating that way...i mean if the foods you're eating make you sick, why eat them..??

Old 10-15-2004, 08:39 AM   #9
Veteran

bullun HB User

Mario,
That's my question. Since eliminating these foods, I feel great. Is it really worth the hassle of getting officially diagnosed? I know the only treatement available to those who are lactose intolerant or have celiac disease is avoidance of gluten or lactose. And honestly I'm sick of doctor visits and co-pays!
I think I'll maintain this diet for a few more weeks, and if my symptoms should reoccur I'll hop back on the physician train..
Dana

Old 10-15-2004, 11:16 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

i promise you bullun you will feel 100% better..just buy corn bread..its much healthier..and, corn muffins..you can make yourself....the only reason why the diagnoses is worth it, its because you can get refunded by the government all the foods you eat..that are gluten free & lactose free..but, is it really worth it.. i mean you will proly go on for years with so many doctors visites...and, proly get diagnosed with so many things..like IBS etc etc..when in reality the culprit is all the junk your eating..Like gluten...just eat healthy everyday a well balanced diet..possibly gluten free and, all those symptoms will all go away.. I promise you...
take care..and, im hear if you need anything..

bye bye..)

Old 10-17-2004, 04:31 PM   #11
Veteran

bullun HB User

Mario,
Thanks for all of your advice. And I have yet one more pestering question for you.

After a week of being gluten and dairy free, I have toyed with having bread at dinner out one night. I've also had ice cream. Neither of these have induced any abodminal pain or diarrhea.

Are those with Celiac, going to have immediate symptoms when eating any gluten containing products? I intend to remain gluten free for a few more weeks as not to th row my digestive track off. I am just unsure this is the true reason (and not a gallbladder or IBS) that is causing my digestive issues.

Thanks for your input. You've been a wonderful resource!

Old 10-17-2004, 04:46 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hey hi..yeah as far as symptoms coming up right away..hmm we are not all alike..like some people might feel it right away, some one week later and, some as much as one month later..so to answer your question..if you keep testing yourself like that..you will proly never get better and, get stuck with all of those symptoms for life...leading to serious diseases and, possably death..yep..like me for example if i eat some gluten by mistake I proly won't feel it...or just get a little nausea for couple hours..thats it.

like i said, those symtoms you have are all related..including 20/25 extra diseases related to Gluten..
Personaly I think that gluten has done enough damage to you, so I think you should avoid it..and, as your gutt heals you won't be needing your Nexium/Losec..hence username..anymore..k

bye.
and, im here for more help..

Old 10-17-2004, 05:07 PM   #13

marciamw HB User

I have Celiac, some people with Celiac also have a sensitivity to milk products. So it may not just be the Celiac but also the Lactose.

Old 10-17-2004, 05:41 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

yeah but most celiacs cheat so their gutt never heals properly..i do believe that if you follow a strict diet your intolerance to milk will go away...most of the time it goes away...but, there are exceptions...

Old 10-18-2004, 05:26 AM   #15
Veteran

bullun HB User

Ok. thanks for the input. Just curious. I have to confess, as a kid, I grew up with home made bread, and have been making my own for years. Tough to lose that yummy treat! But hey, healthy digestive system is much more worthwhile.
Thanks again!

Closed Thread